Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why he’s hated by all the Melbourne clubs, NM have gone massively backwards since they got rid of him but I rate him, he’s a real competitor like his brother and will be hungrier for success second time around if he coaches again.
Fwiiw I'd take Brad in a heartbeat if we needed a new coach.

Kept North relevant for years with at best an average list. He's intelligent ,well qualified and experienced.

Won't happen though, seems on an easier less stressful wicket at the AFL.

Fantastic chat with a philosophical Nathan Buckley here, I am not usually a fan of Brereton but he was quite good in this Podcast. I would not be averse to Buckley as our coach if the unthinkable happens, Brad Scott would be fine with me as well.

Fantastic chat with a philosophical Nathan Buckley here, I am not usually a fan of Brereton but he was quite good in this Podcast. I would not be averse to Buckley as our coach if the unthinkable happens, Brad Scott would be fine with me as well.

For a very long time, I had such dislike for Buckley but he did grow on me in his last few years as a coach.

Like all humans we evolve our psyche over time, on the media surface and in longer form chats he comes across to me as a decent person.

I have believed he's a decent person for years now.

TBH, some of the bash "Nafan" stuff in this Forum over the years has been OTT

Not. I've tried, but I just can't picture Nathan Buckley coach of the Brisbane lions. I end up laughing hysterically every time I say those words together.

Appreciate FB is probably no different to here, but someone that has had good intel in the passed has again raised earlier that we'll be announcing Brad Scott as early as next week. Suggested that the club wants Fagan but knows he wont be permitted or available to coach next year.

Browny on the couch said BScott said at there renunion that he was enjoying his role at the afl so who knows but can't say I'd be enamoured with BScott replacing Fages - I mean I'd properly rather him than any of our assistants but if we have to go outside Fagan, hope they go thru a process.

Appreciate FB is probably no different to here, but someone that has had good intel in the passed has again raised earlier that we'll be announcing Brad Scott as early as next week. Suggested that the club wants Fagan but knows he wont be permitted or available to coach next year.

Browny on the couch said BScott said at there renunion that he was enjoying his role at the afl so who knows but can't say I'd be enamoured with BScott replacing Fages - I mean I'd properly rather him than any of our assistants but if we have to go outside Fagan, hope they go thru a process.

Just no chance this happens I don't think. Firstly, reckon Scott is going to Essendon, and secondly, seeing as this only landed about a week ago, there is just no way we would be this far along the process.

I'm sure conversations around a plan b are well and truly underway, but not to the point of appointing anybody.

Just no chance this happens I don't think. Firstly, reckon Scott is going to Essendon, and secondly, seeing as this only landed about a week ago, there is just no way we would be this far along the process.

I'm sure conversations around a plan b are well and truly underway, but not to the point of appointing anybody.
Thank god for that - Brad Scott that is - appreciate that, was already getting concerned about seeing a coach of ours throwing tantrums in the box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god for that - Brad Scott that is - appreciate that, was already getting concerned about seeing a coach of ours throwing tantrums in the box.

Tbh, if we did have to lose Fagan, I'm not sure there'd be too many I'd rather than Scott (limited market at the moment). But yes, not the ideal situation.

Tbh, if we did have to lose Fagan, I'm not sure there'd be too many I'd rather than Scott (limited market at the moment). But yes, not the ideal situation.
Yeah I honestly think if Fages can come back, great, but until then, we are best off taking our medicine, and putting Stone in charge. Who knows, he might go well... He has coached an SANFL flag after all.

Then, if Fages is able to come back mid season, great. Whether he would come back mid-season in the head coaching capacity, or assumes some other role for the remainder of the season, would need to be a question seriously considered by the club.

If not, we'd expect to be in a reasonable position by say July to either say, yep, Mark Stone, you've been great, here's an X year contract as senior coach of the Lions. Or, if things don't go so well, we're at the front of the queue for any assistant looking for a club to coach in 2024. As opposed to where we are now, at the very bottom of the queue, simply due to circumstances.

I wonder if Adrian Fletcher wants a position as an assistant coach, or VFL coach, or academy coach, and we shuffle some of our other coaches one spot up each.

Has coached at QAFL level recently, and just stepped down as Sherwood coach.

If we can’t replace Fagan, and each of our other coaches step up to fill a role, we’re going to have to bring in someone new at some level.

I wonder if Adrian Fletcher wants a position as an assistant coach, or VFL coach, or academy coach, and we shuffle some of our other coaches one spot up each.

Has coached at QAFL level recently, and just stepped down as Sherwood coach.

If we can’t replace Fagan, and each of our other coaches step up to fill a role, we’re going to have to bring in someone new at some level.

FWIW He’s already been an assistant coach for us in the past at the end of the Matthews era and most of the Voss era.

Yeah I honestly think if Fages can come back, great, but until then, we are best off taking our medicine, and putting Stone in charge. Who knows, he might go well... He has coached an SANFL flag after all.

Then, if Fages is able to come back mid season, great. Whether he would come back mid-season in the head coaching capacity, or assumes some other role for the remainder of the season, would need to be a question seriously considered by the club.

If not, we'd expect to be in a reasonable position by say July to either say, yep, Mark Stone, you've been great, here's an X year contract as senior coach of the Lions. Or, if things don't go so well, we're at the front of the queue for any assistant looking for a club to coach in 2024. As opposed to where we are now, at the very bottom of the queue, simply due to circumstances.

Yep I see this as the clubs choice of action for 2023. Players have worked with Mark Stone for a year. He will be guided by Fages. It’s the path of least resistance for 2023 so all new players can settle into the system Fagan has developed which is attracting players here.

Aker for one year

Tell him this is your chance,we cant pay you,but this is what you’ve always wanted

Acker would bring a lot of passion to the job, and his after game press conferences would be a lot of fun.

He is an out of the box thinker, and they don't do things the same way everybody else does.

Passion + out of box thinker = lot of stressed fans.

I've already said I'd like Acker as an assistant as I like trying new things. Also the bf melts would be epic.

If we were to appoint an interim coach, would they come from within the club or would it be an outside hire?

I’d want a tried and tested coach but would we be able to get one with them knowing it could only be for a short period of time if Fages does come back?

I have no intel but can't see any other option than Stone if we appoint an interim . We've made it clear publicly that Fagan is our coach and we're waiting on him to clear his name.

Fwiiw I think anyone who gets Brad Scott will improve next year and I'd be stoked if he came on board but just can't see it happening on anything that is presently in the public arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back