Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Still concerning that Fages couldn’t inspire them to do anything in the third quarter - again - granted last nights game there really were extenuating circumstances.
Nah McIvor. We clearly won the 3rd quarter and the effort was there despite the tiredness kicking in.

We just didn't kick straight.

Still concerning that Fages couldn’t inspire them to do anything in the third quarter - again - granted last nights game there really were extenuating circumstances.

In the third quarter we were awesome - got ourselves at least nine shots on goal. With a decimated team. Outstanding.

Can't blame coaches for the players forgetting the intent is to get the ball through the big sticks when they have a shot.

They seem to think it's about finding different ways to give the ball to the opposition.

You're impossible.

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

it is concerning we cant seem to get over persistent set shot woes this season (albeit plenty of excuses last night)

but fagan so far down the list of people responsible for that i dont see how you can even attempt to attribute it to him.
We've got Charlie carrying something , Joe and Eric , a few pot shots from Zorko ,Clug ,Neale and Fletch , Rayner, and a couple of others with very little experience.

It shouldn't be any surprise that if we're not having a day out we're going to miss a lot of shots.

The one thing that hasn't improved since I've been watching footy is kicking for goal. The Quinlans ,Dunstalls and Locketts don't exist any more . A lot of the guys now are gassed before they take the shot.

But there are still some gun setshots around. Walker's still fairly good ,Fogarty ,Schwartz, Fritsch a few others.

The focus now is on the stats that show whether you have control of the game or not. Kicking for goal is only material if it's bad. There's a general acceptance in the coaching community that it's something that can't be controlled. What you can control is how often you take them and where you take them from.

We've got Charlie carrying something , Joe and Eric , a few pot shots from Zorko ,Clug ,Neale and Fletch , Rayner, and a couple of others with very little experience.

It shouldn't be any surprise that if we're not having a day out we're going to miss a lot of shots.

The one thing that hasn't improved since I've been watching footy is kicking for goal. The Quinlans ,Dunstalls and Locketts don't exist any more . A lot of the guys now are gassed before they take the shot.

But there are still some gun setshots around. Walker's still fairly good ,Fogarty ,Schwartz, Fritsch a few others.

The focus now is on the stats that show whether you have control of the game or not. Kicking for goal is only material if it's bad. There's a general acceptance in the coaching community that it's something that can't be controlled. What you can control is how often you take them and where you take them from.
larkey probably the best pure set shot in the league. his accuracy was streets ahead of the next best last year i believe.

In ten years time your uncle and million others were there. ;)
I was next to the dugout before he came on.

They'd given him two jabs and he grimaced in pain as they tried to get Will's boots on.

Fages put his hand on his shoulder and said , we're in real trouble son , just get out there and do your best , your mum and dad are up in the stands watching.

I swear that kid had wings on his feet as he raced on to the field , nothing was going to stop him.

Speaking of Logan’s entry into the game; did enjoy the double take from Oscar as he headed toward the interchange gate for his first rest and saw who was waiting there to replace him. Must have had no idea.
That might well have been Oscar's only rest of the night, given he only had about two minutes off in total.

You're impossible.
I wasn’t trying to be critical, merely expressing that again we lost another third quarter even prefacing that it was under serious extenuating circumstances; and here you are again making out I’m ranting about something and I’m impossible 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn’t trying to be critical, merely expressing that again we lost another third quarter even prefacing that it was under serious extenuating circumstances; and here you are again making out I’m ranting about something and I’m impossible 🙄
It's more that people find it very weird that you're blaming the coach for the team not kicking straight when we won that quarter around the contest and in general play. People are probably thinking that you're just looking for reasons to pot the coach.

It's more that people find it very weird that you're blaming the coach for the team not kicking straight when we won that quarter around the contest and in general play. People are probably thinking that you're just looking for reasons to pot the coach.
And that's because......he is. Let's just face it that McIvor's a half glass empty kinda fella.

And that's because......he is. Let's just face it that McIvor's a half glass empty kinda fella.
Everyone has different ways of supporting their team. From unconditional support ,to discussion ,observation, criticism and suggestions. To glum acceptance of what's happening to the 'this always happens to us' type of supporter . One thing that's common to all types of supporters is that the umpires have got it in for us . Of recent years the AFL gets thrown in as well. And then it's the coaches who are the problem when you're unsuccessful or can't win games for many people.

It doesn't mean they're not passionate supporters and I'm a bit bemused that people don't just let it go , I hear the same thing from people from every club at some stage of the year every week. There may even be an element of truth in there at times. I find it sometimes entertaining and not as annoying as the Alice in Wonderland type supporter .

Obviously this'll go down like a ton of bricks.

Everyone has different ways of supporting their team. From unconditional support ,to discussion ,observation, criticism and suggestions. To glum acceptance of what's happening to the 'this always happens to us' type of supporter . One thing that's common to all types of supporters is that the umpires have got it in for us . Of recent years the AFL gets thrown in as well. And then it's the coaches who are the problem when you're unsuccessful or can't win games for many people.

It doesn't mean they're not passionate supporters and I'm a bit bemused that people don't just let it go , I hear the same thing from people from every club at some stage of the year every week. There may even be an element of truth in there at times. I find it sometimes entertaining and not as annoying as the Alice in Wonderland type supporter .

Obviously this'll go down like a ton of bricks.
Yes, no need to take ourselves or what is posted on a nuffie online forum too seriously, it's all just a bit of fun and banter.

Yes, no need to take ourselves or what is posted on a nuffie online forum too seriously, it's all just a bit of fun and banter.
100% . I presume no one is professionally involved. It's always been part of footy to have a whinge. No one has a vice like grip on being right.

I actually think McIvor mellowed as we coughed it up this year and put up some optimistic stuff. Us losing the 3rd quarter was a misstep but technically correct so no need to shove it down his throat.

As Long Lion said he's a glass half full kind of guy which is basically like half the world and we've all been there at some stage.

If we didn’t think it already, after seeing how screwed over we’ve been this year with injuries, I reckon we’ll definitely look back last year as the opportunity missed for this group. No real standout team at the time and we had almost the full list to choose from.

If this year shows us anything, it’s how much luck you must have on the injury front if you want to be a realistic flag chance.

If we didn’t think it already, after seeing how screwed over we’ve been this year with injuries, I reckon we’ll definitely look back last year as the opportunity missed for this group. No real standout team at the time and we had almost the full list to choose from.

If this year shows us anything, it’s how much luck you must have on the injury front if you want to be a realistic flag chance.
With all the debuts and new players, I felt the energy level went up across the older playing group too. Its infectious, I have renewed hope for us this season.

With all the debuts and new players, I felt the energy level went up across the older playing group too. Its infectious, I have renewed hope for us this season.
I also think with guys like Reville, Sharp, Morris and maybe Brain/Torrent getting a decent run of senior games we will be a better side in 2025. Then you add more youngsters in Lohmann, W.Ashcroft, L.Ashcroft, Fletcher, Wilmot.

9 of those 10 are 21 years of age or younger(Reville 23), so the future looks very bright IMO.

Trent Cotchin is lining up to play for the Port Douglas Crocs in the match against the Cairns Cane Cutters in July.

These matches are always rousing affairs with an interesting line up of spectators to say the least.

It won't quite start out like the North Cairns/PD AFL GF in 2004 which unfortunately I didn't attend ,but I hope Cotch is well prepared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back