Autopsy Family Day Intra Club Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the updates - who took the kick ins?

Was really no designated person. The team took kick ins so quick that it was pretty much whoever was there. Yagmoor took a few, as did Keefe and Frost. I think Broomhead and Harry O'Brien were back there a bit and took one or two. Armstrong took them whenever he was around as well.

With 9 minute periods, the emphasis was more on speed and quick transition. It was just go go go. Players were also changing teams so often that it was hard to really get a sense of what our structure is.

I don't think this was the sort of match to take real ideas as to what our structure or best 22 will be. It seemed to me to be more about match fitness and running. It was a wide open match.

We will get a better idea come season proper.

I thought that Grundy got his hands to the ball first in the majority of hitouts. He looked to be jumping right over Hudson. Then at ruck contests it was fairly even, but Grundy was definitely not outmuscled or outpositioned by the more experienced Hudson.

Around the ground. Hudson was used more as a forward than Grundy. Brodie pretty much played ruck the whole time. As a forward, Hudson was too big and strong for his opponent and he kicked a few goals. Grundy did not have this sort of impact...but then again wasn't given the opportunity to.

We have to remember that even though Grundy has been remarkable, he is still only a 2nd year player. If we want him to be our number 1 ruck this year, then his ruck work has to be our first concern. As he develops, the other parts to his game will come (such as forward work and around the ground impact).

He is agile and aggressive, so he should develop into a complete player. For me he is clearly our number 1 option and looks in good nick.
Who was Hudson's opponent?

DaVe86

What do you think about the gameplan? Do you think they were playing a gameplan we plan on using? I thought it was very focused on boundary, but very quick football along the boundary. Whenever we were at contests, it was usually a chain of handballs out to the wing.

Who was Hudson's opponent?
I saw Frost concede 2 goals to Hudson. Once, he was completely too strong for Frost. The other was when Frost ran about 30m, through congestion, looked very nice but went a little bit too far, came to a brick wall figuratively, ball went the other way and Hudson got an easy goal with a handball over the top.

Photos from the intra club:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.652248924822048.1073741852.227989023914709&type=1

148278_652248934822047_1740267101_n.jpg

1511064_652249144822026_1335125287_n.jpg

61066_652249701488637_1069717783_n.jpg

482543_652249908155283_1101933337_n.jpg

More... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.652248924822048.1073741852.227989023914709&type=1

DaVe86

What do you think about the gameplan? Do you think they were playing a gameplan we plan on using? I thought it was very focused on boundary, but very quick football along the boundary. Whenever we were at contests, it was usually a chain of handballs out to the wing.

I saw Frost concede 2 goals to Hudson. Once, he was completely too strong for Frost. The other was when Frost ran about 30m, through congestion, looked very nice but went a little bit too far, came to a brick wall figuratively, ball went the other way and Hudson got an easy goal with a handball over the top.

You are right to say we did use the boundary a fair bit. But I think this was more about our players spreading really well. We were moving the ball quickly. I don't think it is a game plan to play wide, but I just think it is our game plan to really spread opposition. I think this differs from MM's game plan which was to play along the boundary and get numbers to the contest and play very defensively. The way we were moving the ball was very attacking.

But as I said earlier, I don't think we can read too much into game plan and structure from this hitout. I think the game was allowed to be wide open to get players running and get some match fitness. Also, in 9 minute periods, it is hard to get any rhythm going. Also, you have 2 teams playing the exact same style so it will obviously differ depending on the opponent.

In regards to Frost. He was very impressive despite making a few glaring errors.

You are right to say that Hudson did monster him on one occassion. The other goal was lucky though. Frost did a terrific piece of play out of defence. He really took the game on and game barging through the centre. He then handballed it straight to an opponent (I think Keefe)...and the ball was turned over quickly to Hudson who was all by himself inside 50 and he strolled in for the goal.

It was dissapointing, but then again exciting to see Frost showing some flare.

He showed some good signs I thought. What I like is how he makes his opponent earn it. He doesn't like getting beaten and is really niggly. Constantly banging into his opponent and tackling hard.

Just needs to get strong one on one and also pick up his closing speed a bit.

Sorry. It is photoshopped. :(
Still ugly

Now now guys, heritage issues again! The Westpac Centre is on the heritage register, and Heritage Victoria wont allow the club to put a permanent sign, magpie or otherwise, on the gable ends. The heritage protection relates to the original 1950s Olympic Pool design, which was outstanding for the time.

Good photoshopping VP, I like it.

Now now guys, heritage issues again! The Westpac Centre is on the heritage register, and Heritage Victoria wont allow the club to put a permanent sign, magpie or otherwise, on the gable ends. The heritage protection relates to the original 1950s Olympic Pool design, which was outstanding for the time.

Good photoshopping VP, I like it.
Thanks VP ;)

Gatorade promo...

1897934_652352024811738_554998416_n.jpg

becomes...
995856_652351161478491_229561260_n.jpg

becomes...

1655055_652351224811818_1297442108_o.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definetly sat behind you at the Elimination Final TD. If you remember a guy screaming obscenities all day it was not me. It was my psychotic mate.

I definetly sat behind you at the Elimination Final TD. If you remember a guy screaming obscenities all day it was not me. It was my psychotic mate.

I don't Remember who was around me at the Elimination Final. Next time come say Hi

I don't Remember who was around me at the Elimination Final. Next time come say Hi

Will do. Might even venture back to Vic Park this season. Providing I can get a leave pass ;)

You like tired Dave. Maybe you should've sat down. :p

And next time, smile FFS
Dave was tired after standing in the sun for 3 hours during the practice match.:cool:

Thankfully we had the family day last week though, Dave (and plenty more) may have collapsed if we'd held it tomorrow in 40 degree heat.

Dave was tired after standing in the sun for 3 hours during the practice match.:cool:

Thankfully we had the family day last week though, Dave (and plenty more) may have collapsed if we'd held it tomorrow in 40 degree heat.

Wasn't it in the high 30's on Family Day?

Well having the Black Top did not help much as it made it hotter for me not cooler like a white T-Shirt would of helped with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back