Famous Pies you’ve met.

Remove this Banner Ad

Started off doing PT with Tarks and Maxy in 2007, subbed in with Ryan Cook, Sammy Iles and Danny Stanley. All great blokes, was one of the best times to be in the Lexus Centre (when it still was)

Then I had a stint with a bunch of lovely Lasses/Lads doing Nick Maxwell's short-lived Blog. We even had Maxy on for one of our Recovery Session Podcasts in 2012.

Met Phil Carmen at the Vingt Cinque lunch in 2018, and he was a miserable old a-hole. Said he hated Bucks even though he got us into a GF. He can GAGF.

The Arizona camp of 2011 was amazing, got to meet the whole team. Went out on the town to a bar with the Rat Pack. Drank wine with Geoff Walsh. Sat and had a one-on-one with Bucks fireside one night talking about life the universe and everything (and even 2 years later he still picked me out of a crowd and sat down and chatted. Despite what some say he was a real people person).

That tour had many many great moments. Not the least of which when Fasolo went out and scored himself a lovely local lass. Next day she rocked up at the hotel just at the time when half the team was there and he did a big walk of shame with her back to his room to much applause.

Had a good session with the club Doctors and fitness staff there too. Kevin White is a big loss for the Pies, ripping bloke too. Big David Stiff helped me make the last leg of the gruelling Grand Canyon walk - he's gone on to continue his Sports Psychology.

More recently Anthony Rocca saw the screensavers I used to make under the account RRRooocccaaa and the big man liked them, and that made me happy.

Still go to Pendles' gym and he popped his head in now and again before Covid hit to say gday. His brother Kris trained me for a quite a while, as did his other brother Ryan. They're funny buggers.

All this makes me a bit nostalgic for seeing footy in person again. It's all too arms length right now. :(

Famous Pies i've met in order !
Phil Carman - Rude
Bill Picken - happy go lucky
John Greening - quite
Ron Wearmouth - larrikan
Len Thompson - Genuine
Ross Dunne - Shy
Peter McKenna - Respectable
Anothony Rocca - Gentleman
Sav Rocca - Friendly
Chris Tarrant - Uninterested
Nathan Buckley - Respectful Honest Friendly
Michael Christian - Flippant
Mick McGuanne - Top bloke

Absolute Priviledge to meet them all great experience !

had coffee with Peter McKenna , (wow did he tell me stuff) Tony Woods , Murray Weideman , Anthong Rocca , Tony Shaw (top bloke)
but the nicest football i meet and still talk to is Michael Roach (nicest guy you could meet)
Great experiences and interesting to read about. I’m glad you responded to this thread as I’m very hopeful it keeps ticking along.
Meeting Pies legends is like meeting royalty.

My son played both cricket and football with, and against, Luke Ball. Although my son was talented you could just tell that Luke was a step above the everyone else - such a talented sportsman, a great scholar and a really nice, genuine person. Great family too.
His parents were just as keen as we were to be at every game, cheering them on, supporting them, and encouraging them to play their best.
He’s was a fierce, but very fair, competitor and always played his heart out

My son played both cricket and football with, and against, Luke Ball. Although my son was talented you could just tell that Luke was a step above the everyone else - such a talented sportsman, a great scholar and a really nice, genuine person. Great family too.
His parents were just as keen as we were to be at every game, cheering them on, supporting them, and encouraging them to play their best.
He’s was a fierce, but very fair, competitor and always played his heart out
We were very fortunate to get him at the end of 2009. Ross Lyon will rue that decision for the rest of his life.

Thats right, but had he kept him, they might have beaten us in the drawn GF.
No, he wouldn’t have been able to play. The Pies nursed home back to health and managed his condition well whereas Lyons just ran him into the ground

had coffee with Peter McKenna , (wow did he tell me stuff) Tony Woods , Murray Weideman , Anthong Rocca , Tony Shaw (top bloke)
but the nicest football i meet and still talk to is Michael Roach (nicest guy you could meet)

not surprised that Michael Roach is a great bloke. I interviewed Rob Heathcote (top queensland horse racing trainer) and he told me how he grew up with Roach in Tassie and they are still best mates... and Rob was a champion bloke to deal with. funny too

I'll go in order of least to most time spent with ............

- going off my autograph book some of my earlier meet and greets were BT , John Annear , Ray Shaw etc...

- my earliest memory of meeting a (future) Pies player was my first school footy clinic back in the days of zoning (we were Fitzroy zone) and we had a visit from Scott Clayton, Leon harris and Gary Pert! I can't remember what I did last week but somehow I remember that. Incidentally my first footy coach (a teacher at the same school) was Robert Walls. Also had recent kids clinics with my son with Mayne , Grundy etc...... and my son also got an invite to a couple of clinics run by Scott and Ryan Pendlebury. Spent some time with Scott afterwards........for some reason I have a hard time getting a read on him. Seems nice enough but never sure how sincere it is...........probably just me.

- met and spent some time with Peter McKenna and Eddie McGuire at the 125th at Vic park. Peter in particular was gracious and took the time to have a photo with my young son (as did Ed).

- spent some time with Daics on a couple of occasions (friend of a friend) and always good value and humble

- spent a few hours with Jamie Elliott and Tom Langdon at the club for my son's birthday which was held at the club a few years back. Both guys are on the shy side but Jamie especially was great. Tom is a super casual dude but was also very nice.

- I grew up seeing a lot of Sav and Anthony Rocca over many years. Sav and I were the top couple of discus throwers in the state/country in our age group at various times and attended open days at various clubs most Sundays and caught up at Vic/nat champs and got to know them and their parents well etc...... Always got along well with them despite being in constant competition.

I'll go in order of least to most time spent with ............

- going off my autograph book some of my earlier meet and greets were BT , John Annear , Ray Shaw etc...

- my earliest memory of meeting a (future) Pies player was my first school footy clinic back in the days of zoning (we were Fitzroy zone) and we had a visit from Scott Clayton, Leon harris and Gary Pert! I can't remember what I did last week but somehow I remember that. Incidentally my first footy coach (a teacher at the same school) was Robert Walls. Also had recent kids clinics with my son with Mayne , Grundy etc...... and my son also got an invite to a couple of clinics run by Scott and Ryan Pendlebury. Spent some time with Scott afterwards........for some reason I have a hard time getting a read on him. Seems nice enough but never sure how sincere it is...........probably just me.

- met and spent some time with Peter McKenna and Eddie McGuire at the 125th at Vic park. Peter in particular was gracious and took the time to have a photo with my young son (as did Ed).

- spent some time with Daics on a couple of occasions (friend of a friend) and always good value and humble

- spent a few hours with Jamie Elliott and Tom Langdon at the club for my son's birthday which was held at the club a few years back. Both guys are on the shy side but Jamie especially was great. Tom is a super casual dude but was also very nice.

- I grew up seeing a lot of Sav and Anthony Rocca over many years. Sav and I were the top couple of discus throwers in the state/country in our age group at various times and attended open days at various clubs most Sundays and caught up at Vic/nat champs and got to know them and their parents well etc...... Always got along well with them despite being in constant competition.
A quality list. The general consensus is, from those who have met McKenna, is that he is a lovely bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Carman - Rude
John Greening - quite
Ron Wearmouth - larrikan
Len Thompson - Genuine
Ross Dunne - Shy
Sav Rocca - Friendly

Yes, Phil Carman was a rude prick. When I was 9 years old, my best mate's uncle (who was the Sports Editor of The Age) got us passes into the Essendon changing rooms at Waverley Park. I remember Carman sitting on a bench after the game and he was swearing and carrying because we were in the rooms. We hadn't said anything to him. We were just young kids. What an absolute dirt bag to do that to 9 year olds. No wonder clubs kept on getting rid of him. I could quite easily land one on that old prick and not feel an inch of guilt. I suppose, in the end, he got what he deserved.

Yes, Phil Carman was a rude prick. When I was 9 years old, my best mate's uncle (who was the Sports Editor of The Age) got us passes into the Essendon changing rooms at Waverley Park. I remember Carman sitting on a bench after the game and he was swearing and carrying because we were in the rooms. We hadn't said anything to him. We were just young kids. What an absolute dirt bag to do that to 9 year olds. No wonder clubs kept on getting rid of him. I could quite easily land one on that old prick and not feel an inch of guilt. I suppose, in the end, he got what he deserved.
Is that what led to a life of crime?

I went to school with Rupert Betheras and Jason Wild. You never would have guessed that Rupert would have the better AFL career as Jason was given a scholarship specifically because he'd been drafted to Collingwood while Rupert spent most of his time in the art room. I was a year below them so didn't really know them, but guys I knew in the year above said they were both good blokes.

I spent an evening with Sav and Anthony Rocca in 2004 on Grand Final Eve. I was living and working in Marlo. I had been there for about a year and the population was <300 so nights in the pub were pretty uneventful. You can imagine our shock when Anthony and Sav and a couple of their mates walked in. Turns out they owned a house in Marlo and would spend time there fishing each offseason. They ended up hanging with out group for the evening in the pub, playing darts, then coming back to our house when the pub closed for more drinks and games. Sav was way more sociable and hugely competitive. Back then we would play hackey sack. Sav had never played it but before long he was better than any of us. Anthony was more aloof, and spent most of the time on the couch with his mates. I tried talking footy with him but he didn't want a bar of it. I recall him asking Sav several times to leave but Sav saying he was having too much fun and wanted to stay. Was without a doubt the most memorable night of my 1 year in Marlo.

I went to school with Rupert Betheras and Jason Wild. You never would have guessed that Rupert would have the better AFL career as Jason was given a scholarship specifically because he'd been drafted to Collingwood while Rupert spent most of his time in the art room. I was a year below them so didn't really know them, but guys I knew in the year above said they were both good blokes.

I spent an evening with Sav and Anthony Rocca in 2004 on Grand Final Eve. I was living and working in Marlo. I had been there for about a year and the population was <300 so nights in the pub were pretty uneventful. You can imagine our shock when Anthony and Sav and a couple of their mates walked in. Turns out they owned a house in Marlo and would spend time there fishing each offseason. They ended up hanging with out group for the evening in the pub, playing darts, then coming back to our house when the pub closed for more drinks and games. Sav was way more sociable and hugely competitive. Back then we would play hackey sack. Sav had never played it but before long he was better than any of us. Anthony was more aloof, and spent most of the time on the couch with his mates. I tried talking footy with him but he didn't want a bar of it. I recall him asking Sav several times to leave but Sav saying he was having too much fun and wanted to stay. Was without a doubt the most memorable night of my 1 year in Marlo.
I imagine it would be just about impossible to make one of the Rocca brothers leave if they didn't want to. Loved Anthony

I'll include a couple of very obscure players:
Barry Evans - Absolute madman, but a lot of fun to have a drink with.
Michael Lockman - Rather rude.
Darren Millane - Very funny and friendly.
John Greening - Polite and well spoken.
Doug Gott - Not a bad guy, with some funny stories to tell.
Ross Dunne- Quiet and polite.

Barry Price was my 1st 18 coach and year 8 cricket coach and PE teacher
He was such a classy footballer! Loved Pricey as a kid. He would poke out his tongue and wave that ball abut as he steadied and delivered a glorious pass to McKenna! I envy you. Was he a good bloke?

Phil Carman - Rude
John Greening - quite
Ron Wearmouth - larrikan
Len Thompson - Genuine
Ross Dunne - Shy
Sav Rocca - Friendly

I got to meet Fab Phil a lot post his footy career. He was a concreter in Bendigo and regularly dropped in with other trades at my local. Found him very approachable and open to a chat.

Millane - top bloke
Thompson - ok
Malthouse - up himself
Eddie M - top bloke
Crisp - dumb
Cox - ok
T Shaw - top bloke
B Taylor - fukwit
A Rocca - top bloke
A few others and other teams

Best footballer I’ve met was Mark Coughlan.

Back in the day, all the players would come into the social club for a beer with members after a game at Vic Park so got to meet just about the full squads through the mid 70’s - mid 80’s. Those were the days.
Dad used to work in the social club in those days - wild place!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back