Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Say what you want when he is on the field umpiring, that's fair but when you make it personal by directly abusing him then it completely fair grounds to by evicted. Everyone is just shitting themselves now because the umpires are actually hitting back for once. Not a single workplace in Australia tolerates this kind of abuse.

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
Surely wouldn't be too hard to organise on club boards. Start a thread gauging the level of support for e.g. booing at the start of each quarter, liaise with the opposition's board and get a similar thread started there. Contact a newspaper and let them know what's brewing without sounding like a nuffie, newspaper helps spread the word, snowball effect. Just give yourself enough lead time. And nobody's under any obligation to take part.

That would be the hardest part.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I am sure you wouldn't have the utter bravery to tell the individual to quiet down but the very moment you can seize an opportunity where you know you will have safety, you call the person out, be it the internet or by safety in numbers.

...you mean like you have just done with this post right now - seems you've seized your opportunity.

How the f$%k would you know how brave I am ??

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Ok - I'll play devils advocate here. Has anyone ever sat at the footy with a really loud supporter yelling in your here ?

I had one a few weeks ago - a fellow Carlton supporter mind you - and the guy was a complete d$%head yelling non-stop rubbish thinking he was funny.

We had to move.

There is a line that can be crossed !!
No s**t - we have an eagles supporter behind us that non stop bawls absolute know nothing comments all game - at particularly heinously ignorant comments i will yell after him “comments from the supercoach” to guffaws from those around

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
No **** - we have an eagles supporter behind us that non stop bawls absolute know nothing comments all game - at particularly heinously ignorant comments i will yell after him “comments from the supercoach” to guffaws from those around
But he's not doing anything wrong by commenting on the game even if you think he doesn't add value. Maybe he thinks everything that comes from your mouth is garbage?

Regardless, neither of you should be asked to leave for that even if it is annoying.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
But he's not doing anything wrong by commenting on the game even if you think he doesn't add value. Maybe he thinks everything that comes from your mouth is garbage?

Regardless, neither of you should be asked to leave for that even if it is annoying.
Its not so much the comments of shiite - its the sheer volume of the guy - like hes got a bullhorn.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I detest supporters who've obviously joined recently and start whinging like Poms if the team is down early. But it's their right to whinge.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Meanwhile there was a drunk Collingwood supporter standing on the wing in the AFL members yelling out c-bombs every 2 minutes with half a dozen police standing behind him doing absolutely nothing. Not even after the security guard (who looked like she was in her early 60s minimum) had a word to him to keep it down on multiple occasions.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
A boycott protest would be difficult to organise, even if it was having fans leave the stadium for a quarter or a half. To be really effective it would need to involve a TV boycott as well, which would be equally as difficult to arrange. But it would send a strong message.

Not if you gave enough time and notice, with social media today it would spread through Twitter & facebook. I reckon it's worth doing, the AFL can go * themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC - MVFC - Socceroos.
This is a bit more reflective of Australia at the moment than just the AFL
Agree with this, Australians have allowed all aspects of lesuire and recreation to be eroded away by health and safety for far too long now, it’s funny people are just noticing now because it has started to hit home.

Overseas people would have protested or made a movement against the AFL years ago instead we will whinge for a week, then cop it on the chin and within a few months people will even defend such draconian rules since it doesn’t directly affect them anymore.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I've had people give me a dirty look for whistling loudly (I'm a good whistler) so I feel his pain. AFL are trying to take the emotion out of the game to turn it into 100% business. You can show emotion but only in a reserved way...

"Here, buy some of our overpriced and poorly made merchandise to wave around but only for 5 seconds after a goal and not too vigorously!"

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Its not so much the comments of shiite - its the sheer volume of the guy - like hes got a bullhorn.
And if you are annoyed you are annoyed, but surely it can't be justifiable to evict the spectator for that. Like I said there might be things you say/do that impact him watching the game.

Hell I get annoyed when people take ages to get in their seats because they get up 10 times a quarter for beers and I can't see the game in front of me when they do that, but they aren't doing anything wrong so who I am to say I'm in the right?

Common sense tells you when a line is crossed, but this oversanitization is trying to reduce that line to something way too controlled and sterile.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Meanwhile there was a drunk Collingwood supporter standing on the wing in the AFL members yelling out c-bombs every 2 minutes with half a dozen police standing behind him doing absolutely nothing. Not even after the security guard (who looked like she was in her early 60s minimum) had a word to him to keep it down on multiple occasions.

Standing room. Boys will be boys. Letting off some steam etc.

If you want to abuse, no half measures. Go all out or don't bother

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Really though, is that how you actually live your life? I would imagine you would at least fire up when someone has a go at you verbally, possibly even verbally abuse them back; umpires don't have this luxury....

Yes that's how I live my life. Words have zero power unless someone else empowers them.

Umpires are getting paid a lot of money. If I was being abused and someone said if you ignore it I'll give you $5000 I'd be all over that like a rash with a huge smile on my face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back