Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Early on but three a lot of talk that atleast Lib Jnr and Kolyniuk will be draftable next year.
Yup - the only kid on the list from next year onwards I've heard about is Oliver Liberatore who won his u12 b&f and has been a gun his whole junior career.

Yup - the only kid on the list from next year onwards I've heard about is Oliver Liberatore who won his u12 b&f and has been a gun his whole junior career.

Kellet actually finished ahead of Libba in the league medal in that u12 year. He finished 2nd overall and one vote behind the leader despite playing 3 less games out of any of the top 5. Also made a couple state teams. I heard he's the most talented out of that crop. Has some speed, but is a little bit smallish. Listed at 175cm at the moment.

Sam Darcy (2021) is another I've heard big things about. Very tall and athletic.

Last edited:
On the horizon: Rhylee West, the son of five-time All Australian and seven-time club champion Scott West, is draft eligible this year and rugged midfielder is likely to end up at Whitten Oval as the club's latest father-son recruit. The Calder Cannons product could attract a bid in the top 20 in November's NAB AFL Draft, due to his contested-ball ability and aerial prowess. The only knock on the AFL Academy member is his kicking can be hit and miss. With a few similar types to West on their list, the Dogs have shown in the past they'll overlook sons of guns (Darcy MacPherson and Jayden Foster) if they don't measure up.

Watch list: There are more than 30 potential father-sons who could follow in their fathers' footsteps, and several available in the coming seasons. Tom Liberatore's brother Oliver is impressing at the Calder Cannons and is draft eligible next year. Former ruckman Luke Darcy's oldest boy Sam is 14 and already over six feet tall and could become a third-generation Bulldog, while West has two twin boys, Cooper and Kobi, impressing in junior footy ahead of the 2022 draft. Leon Cameron could be coaching against his son Harry if he's still at the helm of Greater Western Sydney in 2024. And recently retired club Matthew Boyd's infant son James could be in the 2034 talent pool.

Past father-son successes: While VFL legend Ted Whitten was a hard act to follow, Ted jnr was a solid contributor with 133 goals in 144 games. Former captain Luke Darcy was a 200-gamer and All Australian after his father David played 133 games for the club. While Tom Liberatore might not have won a Brownlow Medal like his dad Tony, he has won a club best and fairest. Current Bulldogs Lachie Hunter and Mitch Wallis have also been great servants like their fathers Markand Steve. - Ryan Davidson

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-09/fathers-and-sons-whos-on-the-radar

On the horizon: Rhylee West, the son of five-time All Australian and seven-time club champion Scott West, is draft eligible this year and rugged midfielder is likely to end up at Whitten Oval as the club's latest father-son recruit. The Calder Cannons product could attract a bid in the top 20 in November's NAB AFL Draft, due to his contested-ball ability and aerial prowess. The only knock on the AFL Academy member is his kicking can be hit and miss. With a few similar types to West on their list, the Dogs have shown in the past they'll overlook sons of guns (Darcy MacPherson and Jayden Foster) if they don't measure up.

Watch list: There are more than 30 potential father-sons who could follow in their fathers' footsteps, and several available in the coming seasons. Tom Liberatore's brother Oliver is impressing at the Calder Cannons and is draft eligible next year. Former ruckman Luke Darcy's oldest boy Sam is 14 and already over six feet tall and could become a third-generation Bulldog, while West has two twin boys, Cooper and Kobi, impressing in junior footy ahead of the 2022 draft. Leon Cameron could be coaching against his son Harry if he's still at the helm of Greater Western Sydney in 2024. And recently retired club Matthew Boyd's infant son James could be in the 2034 talent pool.

Past father-son successes: While VFL legend Ted Whitten was a hard act to follow, Ted jnr was a solid contributor with 133 goals in 144 games. Former captain Luke Darcy was a 200-gamer and All Australian after his father David played 133 games for the club. While Tom Liberatore might not have won a Brownlow Medal like his dad Tony, he has won a club best and fairest. Current Bulldogs Lachie Hunter and Mitch Wallis have also been great servants like their fathers Markand Steve. - Ryan Davidson

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-09/fathers-and-sons-whos-on-the-radar

Harry Cameron wouldn’t be in the best 100 12 year old kids in Sydney.

This is probably the best thing I have seen on Bigfooty this year.
It makes me feel a bit old when I was watching all these boys' fathers years ago and now we're looking at their boys.
I love the father son rule. I love seeing other team's father sons running around for their dad's teams as well.
Tradition is king and sets AFL footy apart from every other sport in the world.

Harry Cameron wouldn’t be in the best 100 12 year old kids in Sydney.
They seems to rate anyone with an AFL rather in these articles. I remember them pushing some hype and Doug Hawkins kids and he didn’t even like footy, was much more into skateboarding. But you wouldn’t know it according to the AFL site.

Are his strengths strong enough to overlook at kicking deficiencies? Or should we be hesitant to give up our first round pick on another player that lacks penetration by foot?

Are his strengths strong enough to overlook at kicking deficiencies? Or should we be hesitant to give up our first round pick on another player that lacks penetration by foot?
I've read in other places that his kicking isn't a weakness. Knightmare for example calls him a "reliable ball user". I'm not too worried.

He is a good kick, and definitely has penetration by foot. It is probably just a journalist looking at disposal efficiency numbers and ignoring the fact he is getting a lot of ball inside the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read in other places that his kicking isn't a weakness. Knightmare for example calls him a "reliable ball user". I'm not too worried.
Probably this this from AFL Draft Central

#20 Rhylee West
– The potential Western Bulldogs father-son stepped up from his round one performance to put in an impressive round two game. He racked up around 30 disposals and burrowed in hard, while also being that player on the outside ready for the handball receive. He won his fair share of clearances, and was used in transition with his powerful kick going deep inside 50 on multiple occasions. At times he would give the look-away handballs that teammates were not ready for, but the penetration he gets on his kicks – particularly over long distances – was impressive. He does have that balance where he can weigh his kicks and change the power on his disposal which is a handy trait to have. West often executed the one-two give-and-goes and would burst away from the stoppage arching his back, not too dissimilar to Adam Treloar. He booted a powerful goal from outside 50 and had the highlight of the night, with a towering pack mark.

#20 Rhylee West
– The potential Western Bulldogs father-son stepped up from his round one performance to put in an impressive round two game. He racked up around 30 disposals and burrowed in hard, while also being that player on the outside ready for the handball receive. He won his fair share of clearances, and was used in transition with his powerful kick going deep inside 50 on multiple occasions. At times he would give the look-away handballs that teammates were not ready for, but the penetration he gets on his kicks – particularly over long distances – was impressive. He does have that balance where he can weigh his kicks and change the power on his disposal which is a handy trait to have. West often executed the one-two give-and-goes and would burst away from the stoppage arching his back, not too dissimilar to Adam Treloar. He booted a powerful goal from outside 50 and had the highlight of the night, with a towering pack mark.
Yep that's what I was thinking. I knew I remembered someone talk up his kicking. AFL website don't know s**t.

#20 Rhylee West
:rainbow::rainbow:

They'll talk down his kicking because Scott's wasn't that good. Same thing happens with Libba.

Still ridiculous that people act like Libba Jr. isn't a fantastic kick; he's probably our second best short kick and he's a pretty good kick over distances.

"Similiar to Treloar" yes please
Also has a decent don't argue according to this:

#7 Rhylee West – West was a bulldozer all day for the academy in the midfield, he started strong with nine disposals in the 1st quarter and just willed himself in every contest. West was physical all day laying nine tackles and getting under the skin of his senior opponents, in the 2nd quarter he laid an impressive fend off that Dustin Martin would be proud of. His attack on the ball and good hands at the stoppages once again reminded us of his famous father. Finished the day with 16 disposals.

Can someone past the Hun article about Ewan Macpherson in here. Seems like they have finally figured out how to do paywalls.
campaigns.json

Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Ewan MacPherson named Vic Metro skipper for Under-16 national titles
Tim Michell, Diamond Valley Leader
June 7, 2018 12:35pm
WESTERN Bulldogs father-son prospect Ewan MacPherson has been likened to Brownlow medallist Jimmy Bartel after being named captain of Vic Metro’s under-16 squad.

MacPherson, whose father Stephen played 188 games for Footscray and whose brother Darcy is on Gold Coast’s AFL list, has already spent time training at Whitten Oval.

THE EX-AFL PLAYERS SHINING IN LOCAL FOOTY

While he will not be draft eligible for another two years, the Bulldogs are aware of the potential the strong-bodied midfielder from Diamond Creek possesses.

MacPherson was one of two Northern Knights players to make the final cut for the Big V squad, along with fellow Creekers product Ben Major.

Knights talent manager Rhy Gieschen said MacPherson had similar attributes to Bartel, the 2007 Brownlow Medal winner who won three AFL premierships with Geelong.

“He does everything pretty well,” Gieschen said.

“He kicks well, marks well, reads the play, wins clearances.

“We are hoping he can turn into someone that plays in all three areas of the ground.

“Whether it’s a creative pressure forward, a tough defender or a quality midfielder.”

While Gieschen said Darcy had “a bit more zip” than his younger brother, Ewan has been recognised as an “unrelenting” player who “thrives on contested ball”.

bc86cbb105f8e131c02e4e96834ce118

Darcy MacPherson, pictured with his dad Steve and mum Karen.
“Pretty similar in their attitudes and their desire, which is the same as their old man I think,” Gieschen said.

Gieschen said the Bulldogs would “take a closer look” at MacPherson, the Knights’ under-16 captain this year, when he graduated to the club’s TAC Cup program.

“Most AFL clubs get the boys in relatively early just to get to know them as almost as recognition for what their dads did for the club,” he said.

“Then as they get older they filter out the most talented ones and start to work with them.”

“Steve being such a well-liked person at the club and a bit of a legend, I think they are really keen to get him down and start working with him.”

a8763d440d6d8b4bc06600e655194c13

Darcy MacPherson fires out a handball for Gold Coast. Picture: Will Russell.
Major, a national level athlete who stands about 190cm, is also “pretty highly-rated”.

Knights trio Rhys Seakins, Jaden Collins and Joel Trudgeon were selected as emergencies.

The Division 1 Under-16 National Championships start on Saturday, June 23 when Vic Metro and Vic Country clash at Princes Park from 2pm.

The ultimate guide to Tasmania
Sponsored Content

COMMENTS

Post Comment
9e494d50f16d6089d1ad7c8e0620526e

MORE STORIES

RECOMMENDED BY

MOST VIEWED
Exposed: Executive outed over dump runs
Exposed: Executive outed over dump runs

b4e98afd236d7c62a0d2ac5eb9c56120

Spade’s husband breaks silence on claims
Spade’s husband breaks silence on claims

60aec6131199b2977fe4fb79b73d8127

Nadal’s French Open shock
Nadal’s French Open shock

3d3ca3626e6886ab2557f8f5288e1044

Finals arrive early for Dees, Pies
Finals arrive early for Dees, Pies
v2

here.

ABOUT US
MORE NEWS CORP SITES
OUR APPS
CONNECT WITH US
Privacy PolicyRelevant Ads Opt-OutCookie PolicyTerms of UseNews Pty Ltd Copyright © 2017

template

Remove this Banner Ad

Back