Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm … that gives rise to some interesting questions. Are adopted kids eligible under FS rules?
I’ve thought about this before, probably wouldn’t happen in AFL but if the system was in the US I could totally see teams adopting 17yos to get them into the team 😂

Probably been mentioned before, but the only F/S I can think of who didn't have the father's name was Tom Kavanagh (son of Brent Crosswell).
Crosswell played 98 games at Carlton, 76 at North and 48 at Melbourne.

Demons actually drafted him as a F/S - which is interesting because I thought the lowest minimum requirement the F/S rule has ever had is 50 games, but looking at the history pre-1997 seems there was no minimum game requirement? He also played briefly later at Fitzroy.

1666220030438.png

Probably been mentioned before, but the only F/S I can think of who didn't have the father's name was Tom Kavanagh (son of Brent Crosswell).
Crosswell played 98 games at Carlton, 76 at North and 48 at Melbourne.

Demons actually drafted him as a F/S - which is interesting because I thought the lowest minimum requirement the F/S rule has ever had is 50 games, but looking at the history pre-1997 seems there was no minimum game requirement? He also played briefly later at Fitzroy.

View attachment 1539796

Good ABC article on the topic: Inside the father-son rule: How genetics have changed the AFL draft

These parts relevant to your query:

It was first implemented in the early 1950s to ensure that future Australian Football legend Ron Barassi Jr went to the same club as his father, who was killed in World War II.

After Barassi Sr's death, young Ron moved with his family into the exclusive recruiting zone of VFL rivals Collingwood and Carlton.

To get Barassi to Melbourne, the VFL said a club could seek a clearance for the son of a player with a record of 50 or more games.

When the father-son rule was first implemented, the application was limited to those 50 games. Since then, qualifications have varied.

In 1978, the father's games requirement was lowered to 20, but rose back to 50 in 1993. Before the 2003 season, the AFL doubled the threshold to 100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I despise the father-son policy despite how much we have benefited from it.
The concept overall or the huge discount?

We’ve been huge beneficiaries but don’t forget we torched a first rounder on Ayce😬.

We’re not alone in the discount front either. As far as I’m concerned every game Selwood and Hawkins played together has an asterisk next to it. Getting the number 1 kid for pick #41 and still being able to take Selwood set them up for >15 years.

Per the members' Q&A, the four we've really got our eye on are Jordan Croft, Levi West, Jaxon Cooney, Harry Cameron.

IF these guys are any good. It’s going to be difficult only getting 1 player from the draft each year…. It will really test our depth. We will have to be targeting players from other clubs, just to keep filling out our list.

We will become draft tightwads like the Lions very soon.

IF these guys are any good. It’s going to be difficult only getting 1 player from the draft each year…. It will really test our depth. We will have to be targeting players from other clubs, just to keep filling out our list.

We will become draft tightwads like the Lions very soon.

Might be a good time to start targeting some of the Lions best players. Get them to commit to us then tell the Lions we have nothing to trade because we need all our picks for points. I'm not bitter at all btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back