Finals effectively gone. What do we do from here for the 2023 season?

Will we still play finals in 2023?

• YES

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • NO

Votes: 73 79.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Win 6 of the last 8 and we can still make it.

We play 3 teams who are fighting for a spot in the 8 with us, Swans, Dogs and Saints.

Those teams and a few others fighting for a top 8 spot play each other several times each and they play the top 4 teams multiple times as well.

It’s still in our hands.

Win 6 of the last 8 and we can still make it.

We play 3 teams who are fighting for a spot in the 8 with us, Swans, Dogs and Saints.

Those teams and a few others fighting for a top 8 spot play each other several times each and they play the top 4 teams multiple times as well.

It’s still in our hands.
Doggies are playing well...seem to have lifted some what! Of the three it may be the doggies that sneak into the Final 8 ahead of us...

I did a ladder predictor, we play Crows in Adelaide first week of finals, win that and we play Lions at the Gabba the second week, win that and we play Port in Adelaide in the prelim. Lol
FFS.
Thank God the GF is at the G.:D

I did a ladder predictor, we play Crows in Adelaide first week of finals, win that and we play Lions at the Gabba the second week, win that and we play Port in Adelaide in the prelim. Lol
As long as we make the finals, We just can’t drop any of the next 3.

Soldo dominated so in for Ryan. Bauer must come in BOG by a mile. We need speed so debut for Coulthard (rest Cotch).
Both Rioli and Dow should be dropped from the seconds. Dow has no ball security and his disposal is terrible. Rioli can't kick, mark or make smart decisions, his tackles resulted in either a free against or ball up. Morris must shake his head when duds are sent down and he is forced to play them.

If you’re saying select on form then yes. But no gifting games to get a look. We’re not there yet.
But we are gifting games already to players who are not performing

I had us winning 6 and losing 2 of our last 8 games.

I had us losing to Melbourne and Port, and beating Swans, Eagles, Hawks, Roos, Saints and Dogs.
Dogs and Saints could be big games. Could drop one of those. Wait and see

The club is going about things the right way for the most part. We're combining a good mix of experience with youth so that they can be developed in the right way, rather than being thrown under the bus and being asked to find their own way.

As it stands after 15 games we've seen plenty of kids being given games:
Ryan - 14 games
Clarke - 13 games
Ralphsmith - 12 games
Mansell - 12 games
Young 11 - games
Ross - 11 games
Miller - 9 games
Cumberland - 8 games
Rioli - 6 games
Sonsie - 3 games
Dow - 1 game

From those 11 players, 8 have played more than half the season, which has allowed some of them to establish themselves in the 22. Sure it would be great to see the likes of Banks Brown & Bauer getting games, but rightfully or wrongly(depending on your point of view) the club has put playing to win over completely bottoming out and is continuing to chase finals. That has meant those younger players are continuing to get to play in games with real meaning. For mine you get no better experience as a developing kid than to be exposed to high pressure situations.

Now I can see those 3 players getting an opportunity in the run home with Banks to be the first one who should get a look. He's been an emergency for about 3 months now and has continued to put up consistent performances. Bauer has been a bit up and down in his form, but should still get an chance to debut. Brown had a long injury lay off, but has hit the ground running since his return about a month ago to quickly put himself in the frame for a debut.

However, as I mentioned about the club has still got its sights set on playing finals, so I can't see us turning to the kids until it's no longer a possibility for us to play finals. IMO 2024 is when we're going to see an even more dramatic focus on playing kids, as we will look to ramp up the transition to the next generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our season is still on track as long as we beat Sydney next week. One thing though - we need to win big against West Coast, North Melbourne, and/or Hawthorn. Our percentage matters against Geelong, Sydney, and Carlton (all of them are our top 8 competitors) so we can’t mess around. Carlton in particular have an easy draw from here on, so we have to make sure we only lose 2 games AND get a solid percentage.

Yeah because losing games doesn't bother me anymore unlike with the mentally fragile.
Ohh well count yourself lucky that you are healthy, Us with Mental issues will continue the search for a cure but according to you we are looking in the wrong place thank you for your input.

Boy oh boy how are we possibly favoghis weeks against the Swans?

If we win the next three Swans, Eagles and Hawthorn we are 9-8-1 and in with some chance. Essendon loss was disappointing.

Back