Finals effectively gone. What do we do from here for the 2023 season?

Will we still play finals in 2023?

• YES

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • NO

Votes: 73 79.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not losing to them on the MCG, why are so many Richmond supporters mentally insecure, thought most would've snapped out of it now.
Because we aren’t as good as we were.

Ryan has really been gifted a run at it hasn't he? His output since the Geelong game has been abysmal
The bloke needs to be given a tennis ball to train with instead of a footy as his hand eye coordination is up there with the worst I’ve seen. More than half the time the ball hits his forearms when trying to mark uncontested! Really shits me off to no end

If you look at each individual year since 2020 you can explain why we didn’t ultimately finish top 4 or win it. Injuries, bad team selection, flu, losing some close games etc.

But when you look at our performance overall from 2021 to this year it is a downward trajectory, or not up. Even this year getting Taranto probably means we will finish a bit higher. 3 years gives you a realistic body of work.
It’s not going to click - let’s not kid our- the improvement in the younger players is not enough to counter the reduced contribution of the ageing injured players.

It’s not going to click and next year is probably the same as this year. Need to plan for a possible shot from 2025 at earliest.

Baker isn’t worth a first.
Baker isn’t worth a first.
We can disagree, that’s okay…I’m sure a club would pay up to pick 18 for a 24 year old gutsy utility with 100 games…

If you look at each individual year since 2020 you can explain why we didn’t ultimately finish top 4 or win it. Injuries, bad team selection, flu, losing some close games etc.

But when you look at our performance overall from 2021 to this year it is a downward trajectory, or not up. Even this year getting Taranto probably means we will finish a bit higher. 3 years gives you a realistic body of work.
It’s not going to click - let’s not kid our- the improvement in the younger players is not enough to counter the reduced contribution of the ageing injured players.

It’s not going to click and next year is probably the same as this year. Need to plan for a possible shot from 2025 at earliest.

Totally agree with this. Right now we are not contending and also not playing enough of our youth to get a real feel for where they are at. The youth that have played seen more a case due to injuries more than a concerted effort by the club to fast track their development. I get that we brought in two big name recruits to try to contend and thus we are having a crack with our most experienced team. If we had found ways up until now to better integrate guys like Brown, Banks, Bauer, Sonsie and maybe Biggie, the whole profile of the year looks different.

I still feel we have a really solid group between say 23 to about 28 but there's really nothing below that to get excited about and everyone above that range don't have a lot of years left. With that said I do think the future is bright with those 23 to 28 guys but we need to bring in some additional trade targets and free agents to take the list forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are cooked and when you look at the calibre of players that wont be here in 3 years time eg Dusty,Cotch,grimes,lynch,reiwolt vlas,broad,Nank,pickett prestia it's all uphill from here

I think the only way from here is to get as many games into young players as possible as well as doing some bloody good recruiting .

Why would we be a shot in 2025 though? For that to happen we would have had to be playing 10 or so kids for the last few years. We havent been. We also have about 17 guys who are absolute locks to play every week when fit and wont play VFL pretty much all signed up for next year. Its impossible to change course now, but we setting up for a massive crash in a couple of years.

Its a problem that we are close to the bottom 4 now. Our defence is pretty much locked in for next season, as is our midfield. Its only our forward line we can improve and that really all relies on Lynch and hopefully a couple of small fast forwards hitting form. If MRJ and Coulthard became really good next season, we would look a lot better. But to challenge for a flag we would need a bit of a miracle.

Why would we be a shot in 2025 though? For that to happen we would have had to be playing 10 or so kids for the last few years. We havent been. We also have about 17 guys who are absolute locks to play every week when fit and wont play VFL pretty much all signed up for next year. Its impossible to change course now, but we setting up for a massive crash in a couple of years.

Its a problem that we are close to the bottom 4 now. Our defence is pretty much locked in for next season, as is our midfield. Its only our forward line we can improve and that really all relies on Lynch and hopefully a couple of small fast forwards hitting form. If MRJ and Coulthard became really good next season, we would look a lot better. But to challenge for a flag we would need a bit of a miracle.
Option 1 we hang on to as many oldies as possible for the next few seasons and finish ninth and fall off a cliff in 3 years and force us into a rebuild. so probally 9 years from now will challenge

Option 2 fall off cliff next year and be s**t for 3 years and hopefully challenge in 6 years

I'll take option 2 every day of the week

Option 1 we hang on to as many oldies as possible for the next few seasons and finish ninth and fall off a cliff in 3 years and force us into a rebuild. so probally 9 years from now will challenge

Option 2 fall off cliff next year and be s**t for 3 years and hopefully challenge in 6 years

I'll take option 2 every day of the week

Yeah they are the 2 options, we could sneak 5-8 like last year if Lynch has a big year, but the clubs already chosen option 1. I guess a really bad run with injury next year could force an early rebuild.

For me the club mentality is wrong finals we're gone months ago mindset needs to change.The 3 wins in a row gave false hope.The fact is we a missing perfect opportunity blooding more kids in form in the vfl let's see who can push for best 22 next year. Keep going to same well expecting different outcomes.

The fact is Mini hasn't even debut one kid yet. Banks ,Brown ,Bauer get them in.

For me the club mentality is wrong finals we're gone months ago mindset needs to change.The 3 wins in a row gave false hope.The fact is we a missing perfect opportunity blooding more kids in form in the vfl let's see who can push for best 22 next year. Keep going to same well expecting different outcomes.

The fact is Mini hasn't even debut one kid yet. Banks ,Brown ,Bauer get them in.

We’re still in contention it would be career suicide to throw it now.

Give it 2-3 weeks. If we’re out of contention then yes. Otherwise we play the best side possible while it’s possible we can make it. Otherwise it’s loser mentality which is toxic for an elite culture.

You may be right. I was thinking by 2025 if most of current young kids Banks &co Ryan etc are any good they will be 4th or 5th year players so could have an impact. Big if though because they have to make up for the loss of the older players

We’re still in contention it would be career suicide to throw it now.

Give it 2-3 weeks. If we’re out of contention then yes. Otherwise we play the best side possible while it’s possible we can make it. Otherwise it’s loser mentality which is toxic for an elite culture.
I'm not saying go all out bringing 6 kids in , but reward the kids in form in the vfl try a few things freshen it up.

I'm not saying go all out bringing 6 kids in , but reward the kids in form in the vfl try a few things freshen it up.

If you’re saying select on form then yes. But no gifting games to get a look. We’re not there yet.

Back