Finals schedule

Remove this Banner Ad

I always find the AFL finals system weird how assuming all the higher placed teams win, 2nd gets the easier prelim on paper than 1st.
It's better than the old system at least

You could finish 3rd or 4th, win the first 2 weeks at home then get a road trip prelim against 1st/2nd and get rolled (Brisbane 99 for etc)

New system gives the top 4 a fairly even chance, and why should you play the same team again in a prelim than what you did the first week of finals?

there are a few 50/50 games to go involving north that would change the positions but going with home teams winning;

Friday night - Freo v Swans
Sat afternoon - Richmond v Adelaide MCG
Sat night - WC v Hawks
Sunday - Bulldog v North - MCG

It's better than the old system at least

You could finish 3rd or 4th, win the first 2 weeks at home then get a road trip prelim against 1st/2nd and get rolled (Brisbane 99 for etc)

New system gives the top 4 a fairly even chance, and why should you play the same team again in a prelim than what you did the first week of finals?

Because the team that won the minor premiership should get every advantage as they have earned it. Let them choose which preliminary finalist to play. Have the decision shown live, Channel 7 would love it.

Because the team that won the minor premiership should get every advantage as they have earned it. Let them choose which preliminary finalist to play. Have the decision shown live, Channel 7 would love it.
Yeah, let them pick 18th and scrap the first 2 weeks of finals, top 2 free for all against whoever they want to play :drunk::drunk::drunk:

there are a few 50/50 games to go involving north that would change the positions but going with home teams winning;

Friday night - Freo v Swans
Sat afternoon - Richmond v Adelaide MCG
Sat night - WC v Hawks
Sunday - Bulldog v North - MCG

1st place won't get back to back 6 day breaks, so assuming you have Freo as first, they will play on the Saturday. This also works well with the need to winner of 1 v 4 to have the Friday night prelim.

West Coast will finish on top now. Fremantle 2nd. The Hawks 3rd and Sydney, North or Richmond 4th. (If Swans drop danger game against the Saints).

So Freo v Hawthorn Friday night, West Coast QF Saturday twilight, 6th v 7th EF Saturday night - (these 2 games may be swapped depending on channel 7 ratings), and 5th v 8th EF Sunday.

Why?

They may be choosing between West Coast v Hawthorn or Richmond v North for the night game. Not sure why one would be that much more preferable to over-ride the consideration of a team traveling home on the day of their Saturday QF.

Well I wouldn't think the AFL or Channel 7 for that matter will put one of its qualifying finals on 4:40pm on a Saturday afternoon twilight in to the eastern states its a dead time slot.

one of the eliminations will be on a Saturday afternoon and one qualifer on Saturday night.

Well I wouldn't think the AFL or Channel 7 for that matter will put one of its qualifying finals on 4:40pm on a Saturday afternoon twilight in to the eastern states its a dead time slot.

one of the eliminations will be on a Saturday afternoon and one qualifer on Saturday night.

See post above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast will finish on top now. Fremantle 2nd. The Hawks 3rd and Sydney, North or Richmond 4th. (If Swans drop danger game against the Saints).

So Freo v Hawthorn Friday night, West Coast QF Saturday twilight, 6th v 7th EF Saturday night - (these 2 games may be swapped depending on channel 7 ratings), and 5th v 8th EF Sunday.

Adelaide will probably knock them off next week and freo have melbourne at home

Dunstall and Frawley on Bounce tonight were saying that at least one of the prelimins has to be played at the G. That's just not correct these days is it?
Well if a Vic team (most likely you) wins the qualifying final it will be. However if two interstate teams win the qualifying finals then I'm pretty sure gill said they'd be played at that team's home ground, whether they're both in Perth or one is in sydney

I think Spud's wrong on this one. I believe the MCC traded away that clause in order to be able to host these big soccer games at the G during the footy season.

I always find the AFL finals system weird how assuming all the higher placed teams win, 2nd gets the easier prelim on paper than 1st.

The team that finishes 1st should be able to choose who they play out of 4th and 3rd.

Nah. You can't force 4th to play 1st twice in three weeks. 4th could be the 2nd best team in the comp - yet under your system they wouldn't have a chance to play a team from the other side of the draw and make the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back