Footy folklore you wish you could confirm

Remove this Banner Ad

Shayne stevenson was sent on in a game in the nineties limping because he was the fittest person on the bench (or the most expendable) though he couldnt stand on one foot. Went ff so keep a defender busy while the swans whittled down a huge hawks lead.

Ball landed in the square, shane hopped over and soccered a goal. Massive roar on an atrocious day.

Question is was his foot broken when he went on, or did kicking the goal cause it ?

I can't confirm whether his foot was actually already broken, but he was definitely put back on injured. I was sitting just behind the bench at Waverley. He had to be helped by trainers onto the ground. We were yelling out to just play short. One of the other injuries was Dunstall hurting his knee, one was holland hurting a shoulder and I think the other one was a concussion to Scott maginness. When he first went back on the ball came down and he tried to run for it and couldn't. Then it came down again and he kicked the goal. I remember it as a karate kid style crane kick, stand on good foot, jump in the air, kick it with good foot and then land on good foot, but it may not have been.

Shayne stevenson was sent on in a game in the nineties limping because he was the fittest person on the bench (or the most expendable) though he couldnt stand on one foot. Went ff so keep a defender busy while the swans whittled down a huge hawks lead.

Good get…I remember this.

Massive effort on Stevenson's behalf…(not as brave as the Bombers but…)

After my appendix surgery last year, someone told me Haydn Bunton Jr had it done in the 60's but was playing footy 3 days later....I call bullshit.

Timmy Zoehrer and the girl was the daughter of WA chairman of selectors, (I think)

Nah. Bobby Simpson's.
He was dropped from the national team but still played for WA for another 8 or 9 years.

Bobby Simpson already had a reputation as having a thing against WA and Western Australians took Zoehrer's dropping as part of his and the eastern states agenda against WA.

After my appendix surgery last year, someone told me Haydn Bunton Jr had it done in the 60's but was playing footy 3 days later....I call bullshit.
Was it Bunton who split his ballsack open, had it stitched up at half time, then played out - and won - a grand final? Said it hurt the most when he was chaired off the ground at the end.

It'd be great to have Hawkeye or at least another angle on the Wayne Harmes OOB incident in the '79 GF.
Of course, conclusive knowledge would kind of ruin it too.
Not needed.

The ball was in.

:)

Foxtel have done that. It was a long, long way out.

That was a joke. The ABC TV angle was closer to the line and it was clearly still in play.

Of greater value would be a simple shot of the scoreboard that shows the Harmes goal did not give Carlton the lead. They were already 5 points up and that goal took them 11 points up. In other words, an out of bounds decision at the time may have led to congestion in Carlton's forward line and no further scores = Carlton still wins.

wayne carey played the 94 prelim with a torn calf. If true absolutely amazing. Having torn one I don't believe it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a joke. The ABC TV angle was closer to the line and it was clearly still in play.

Of greater value would be a simple shot of the scoreboard that shows the Harmes goal did not give Carlton the lead. They were already 5 points up and that goal took them 11 points up. In other words, an out of bounds decision at the time may have led to congestion in Carlton's forward line and no further scores = Carlton still wins.
Don't tell Eddie McChins, he still cries himself to sleep most nights thinking about it.

Back in 09 a friend mentioned that Robyn Nahas had a very big member and that he was also a very strong online fifa player. Fast fwd a few months I'm in the Greek islands hanging out with Campbell Brown and grant birchall and Campbell mentions how big his dong is.

They were getting absolutely thrashed at the time, were they not?
It's Peel Thunder. Getting absolutely thrashed has been a prominent occurrence since 1997 when they were stupidly admitted into the WAFL.

Pretty normal for Peel, they've had a few decent Colts teams but hard to see the senior team ever really being competitive.

Pretty normal for Peel, they've had a few decent Colts teams but hard to see the senior team ever really being competitive.

Depending on Freo's injury concerns (or lack thereof), 2014 may be Peel's year with the new alignment rules.

They may actually make the finals!

From a WA standpoint - would love to actually confirm how many kicks Haydn Bunton Jnr got against South Fremantle in 1962.

News reports suggests at least 50... the more fanciful number is 88.

This is given legs by someone from Souths' camp who would tally the kicks Bunton got, and when he got to 20, his man would be rotated off him. The Souths' bloke says that he had 4 bunches of 20 and another 8 marked down... hence the 88 figure was given.

Can someone please explain the Michael Turner one to me (PM if necessary). I have seen it alluded to a lot over the years, but have never actually gotten the story.

Thanks.
Turner on the piss with his mates
GF turns up sticks her head in car window
Turner winds up window gets out the other side of the car
Guess the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back