Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Exposure to the AFL is the only thing that will determine that and that comes down to development of our list, it’s been poor and we have so many players we don’t know about.

But of the player you mentioned.

Gallucci - bust, so far Hamish first mistake in first round but he wanted English anyway
Pohohkle- pick in the 40s. Showed more yesterday than he has in his previous games because he played in the middle, not up forward, a point Dunstall made.
Stengle- I reckon will, but we used a pick in the 60s on him, so not a big investment and odds making it would be low.
Murphy - rookie. Don’t like him up forward, wouldn’t mind him down back, the position he played in the sanfl where we upgraded him
Wilson- rookie. No.

So of the players you mentioned, only one was a decent pick and that was in the teens. Hamish hasn’t had a lot to work with and that’s where your consistent harping on about him falls down, you fail to take into account anything else about the state of our list besides Hamish. No mention of the picks we’ve lost, the players we couldn’t retain, the lack of quality picks, the s**t conservative selection philosophy and the club culture that strives for scraping into the 8 which breeds mediocrity.
Not true on AFL exposure how many AFL players drafted don't get to play 10 AFL games if any

The biggest success we have in drafting recently are the crouches and they are good players but not elite and as midfielders they are being compared to fyfe danger Selwood bonts pendles dusty cotchin as they are the top teams and who we have to beat to win a flag

Yes Rendell did draft danger but he left

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Classic Adelaide board tbh - melting over a practice game.

Look, I wasn’t particularly impressed with what I saw either, but it’s a practice game. New coach, new players, and a team who have played stuff-all senior footy together. Give them a chance to gel and learn the new gameplan.

I’m not expecting a year full of wins, but I am expecting quality development amongst our young brigade.

All I’m saying, is give them a chance this year before crucifying them prior to the season even beginning.
You obviously havent read the thread to claim there are melts over the trial game result.

Classic Adelaide board tbh - melting over a practice game.

Look, I wasn’t particularly impressed with what I saw either, but it’s a practice game. New coach, new players, and a team who have played stuff-all senior footy together. Give them a chance to gel and learn the new gameplan.

I’m not expecting a year full of wins, but I am expecting quality development amongst our young brigade.

All I’m saying, is give them a chance this year before crucifying them prior to the season even beginning.
No one is melting the prediction thread has use around 14th or 15th before that game

Its just where our list is at

There will be an enormous amount of melting if we finish there because it's going to be crap to watch

We aren't going to see great performances finishing that low, let's be honest

But more so, teams trade out of early picks when they don't think there are elites available. I.e. they don't think that every draft is equal, and that every pick has the same chance of producing an elite.

That this is somehow support for the idea that getting into the elite end is irrelevant is absurd.
Adelaide biggest problem has been player retention is that even up for debate

How can that be fixed

There really is only one relatively safe solution

Pick home grown at every comparable opportunity

Galluci or Heywood

Pohlkoke or Graham

Doedee or Burton

The list will go on

Or go with players that may leave like we have seen

McHenry will be fine after a handful of top-level games.

Many of the game’s current elite players were all over the place early on in their careers.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe or maybe not

Only time will tell

Will nicks want him to gain that exposure to composure in the twos which won't affect his chances of winning games

No one knows the answer to that but nicks

People like you should never assume.
Ok then I’ll dissect for you.

You whinged about my whinging for the last 3 years.

3 years includes 2017, our grand final year. Strike 1, failed attempt at being clever.
2018-19, failed years, leading to a review and sackings of key people. s**t, looks like my whinging might have been justified. Strike 2&3 for your clever post.

What have you contributed over the last 3 years besides whinging about posters? Classic you even started a thread about it. Have you ever started a thread that creates football discussion, I know I have.

And did you listen to Dunstalls commentary? Recurring themes from what we’ve complained about. Clever fellow that Dunstall, looks like he’s been our best asset and he’s not even one of us.

Didn't see any of it.

How'd Himmelberg and McHenry go?
Himmelberg was very disappointing. Still can't hold a mark and did stuff all aside from one nice snap for goal. Doesn't look to have improved

McHenry tried too hard. Came on and just started tackling players for no reason, got pinged a few times. Liked his intensity but seemed too excited at the occasion. Needs a big stretch at AFL level to settle into it

It's all bad faith anyway, these people claim that draft pick position doesnt matter, but they sure were willing to hype up our 'earliest ever pick' last year.

If you genuinely thought that draft pick was irrelevant, you'd be advocating for trade downs every year. Let other clubs give up multiple picks for the irrelevancy of having the right to select from the larger pool of players.

I saw this a while back, which shows the values of pick 1 - 20, clearly picks 1 and 2 are a standout.

But I've always wondered if those games played figures are distorted by the likes of Jack Watts who get games pumped into them because they are pick 1s and then clubs are less likely to cut them even if they are well, like Jack Watts.

So no Premiership?
Correct.

That sudden reality like getting slapped across the face with a dead, cold wet salmon.

I was looking and hoping, but we have too many triers coming through and nowhere near enough talent.

Wilson, for example, is a very tidy SANFL player, but that he even gets a look in, even with half a doz or so first 22 players missing, tells the story of the state of our list.

Not diabolical, but where are guys like a budding Bontempelli, Fyfe, Cripps, Shuey, Pendlebury, Martin, or even a Dangerfield. I guess that’s how it is when you finish mid to top of the table over so many years and you cant compete luring established or prospective superstars.

Ok then I’ll dissect for you.

You whinged about my whinging for the last 3 years.

3 years includes 2017, our grand final year. Strike 1, failed attempt at being clever.
2018-19, failed years, leading to a review and sackings of key people. s**t, looks like my whinging might have been justified. Strike 2&3 for your clever post.

What have you contributed over the last 3 years besides whinging about posters? Classic you even started a thread about it. Have you ever started a thread that creates football discussion, I know I have.

And did you listen to Dunstalls commentary? Recurring themes from what we’ve complained about. Clever fellow that Dunstall, looks like he’s been our best asset and he’s not even one of us.

So the source of the problems have been recognised, outlined and dealt with in a public manner?....

But that's not good enough for you? You still need to tell everyone how s**t the club is?

Look that's fine, go ahead, I took a attempted joke too far (it was going to be a s**t joke anyway), you don't need me of all people telling you how to post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw this a while back, which shows the values of pick 1 - 20, clearly picks 1 and 2 are a standout.

But I've always wondered if those games played figures are distorted by the likes of Jack Watts who get games pumped into them because they are pick 1s and then clubs are less likely to cut them even if they are well, like Jack Watts.

That wouldn't explain the massive disparity in brownlow votes though

Correct.

That sudden reality like getting slapped across the face with a dead, cold wet salmon.

I was looking and hoping, but we have too many triers coming through and nowhere near enough talent.

Wilson, for example, is a very tidy SANFL player, but that he even gets a look in, even with half a doz or so first 22 players missing, tells the story of the state of our list.

Not diabolical, but where are guys like a budding Bontempelli, Fyfe, Cripps, Shuey, Pendlebury, Martin, or even a Dangerfield. I guess that’s how it is when you finish mid to top of the table over so many years and you cant compete luring established or prospective superstars.
Finishing middle of the table isn't that bad ask ninethmond

So the source of the problems have been recognised, outlined and dealt with in a public manner?....

But that's not good enough for you? You still need to tell everyone how s**t the club is?

Look that's fine, go ahead, I took a attempted joke too far (it was going to be a s**t joke anyway), you don't need me of all people telling you how to post.
But you can’t just label me a whinger and ignore the fact what I whinged about was correct. Dunstalls findings at the review and his comments yesterday line up with mine, so instead of labelling me not clever, perhaps some credit was more appropriate.

As for my posting in this thread, you’ve failed to get my point. I’ve said I have zero expectations on this year going forward, this is because of our past, that can’t just be not mentioned otherwise it would make no sense. I’ve said I’m looking forward to the kids and as long as they are developed I won’t be disappointed not making the 8. If that makes me negative and a whinger then so be it, but I thought it would be a positive unless you’re hanging your hopes on making the 8.

The only negative thing I’ve said about our future is we need to load up on elite talent because that’s what it takes and Hamish hasn’t had enough to work with. Time will tell if this is another clever post. Odds are I’m right on this one too.

Oh and the source of the problems hasn’t been removed, Chapman and the culture of scraping into the 8 to protect their butts leading to 20 years of no flag is still there.

But you can’t just label me a whinger and ignore the fact what I whinged about was correct. Dunstalls findings at the review and his comments yesterday line up with mine, so instead of labelling me not clever, perhaps some credit was more appropriate.

As for my posting in this thread, you’ve failed to get my point. I’ve said I have zero expectations on this year going forward, this is because of our past, that can’t just be not mentioned otherwise it would make no sense. I’ve said I’m looking forward to the kids and as long as they are developed I won’t be disappointed not making the 8. If that makes me negative and a whinger then so be it, but I thought it would be a positive unless you’re hanging your hopes on making the 8.

The only negative thing I’ve said about our future is we need to load up on elite talent because that’s what it takes and Hamish hasn’t had enough to work with. Time will tell if this is another clever post. Odds are I’m right on this one too.
Did ninethmond have enough elite picks

Looking at pressure act numbers, Melbourne players finish 1 to 8, which isn't great for us, but Keays in one half of football was our 2nd best with 19, while McHenry was equal 8th best with 14. McHenry's 5 tackles also 2nd best for us.
How did Crocker go?

Full game CBA numbers

2nd half CBA numbers

We be experimenting.

That is a perfect example of why looking at th eresult and getting all shirty is so dumb. We were trying new things, they were not. They played and set up like they needed to win 4 points - we were setting up like it was a pre-season game

[/QUOTE]
Mate I don’t need your pity.

I’ve already said what I expect of the year, for me it’s about the kids, I’m not the one going into 2020 hoping to make the 8, I won’t be disappointed if we don’t. The only disappointment I’ll have is if we revert to form and don’t develop the list. Hopefully we do and I’ll get a lot out of the year, more than most.
I don't think we have a choice, really only Mackay is a senior player outside the 22. If he plays any more than 5 games through injury and rests I'd be very annoyed.

We don't have much more experience left, which is worrying and exciting at the same time.

What’s glaringly obvious is that we have a bunch of SANFL players who have not had the exposure they should have by now.

I won’t list them but we know who they are. Yesterday will help but we are in an awful position where we have stockpiled them and there are too many to now bring through gradually as they should have been.

Wasted games that have been pumped into Douglas, Otten, DMac, Gibbs etc etc are now coming home to roost.

At best we can say is that we have some players with great SANFL experience. At worst we have wasted a number of players who will end up disappearing amidst the traffic jam for spots.

Disgraceful non-development from the previous administration which will cost us for 5 years whilst we flush through new talent.

Although the very fact we still had DMac running around for a quintessentially DMac 12 possession game, robs me of any faith that the new administration will improve this log jam.

What’s glaringly obvious is that we have a bunch of SANFL players who have not had the exposure they should have by now.

I won’t list them but we know who they are. Yesterday will help but we are in an awful position where we have stockpiled them and there are too many to now bring through gradually as they should have been.

Wasted games that have been pumped into Douglas, Otten, DMac, Gibbs etc etc are now coming home to roost.

At best we can say is that we have some players with great SANFL experience. At worst we have wasted a number of players who will end up disappearing amidst the traffic jam for spots.

Disgraceful non-development from the previous administration which will cost us for 5 years whilst we flush through new talent.

Although the very fact we still had DMac running around for a quintessentially DMac 12 possession game, robs me of any faith that the new administration will improve this log jam.
It's the CEY, Grigg, Wigg routine all over again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back