Former EDFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonderful work NFNLWikiFan – if that's you doing all the guernsey designs on WP as well, you've certainly been busy! I'm currently in the process of crosschecking all our existing data on AustralianFootball.com with what exists on each league's Wikipedia page, so this will certainly come in handy. A lot of the data on WP has come from AF initially, but there are so many nuggets of gold on WP that haven't yet been transcribed, and there's still so much work to do at our end. It's not often I'm able to thank and acknowledge the person who has added in tables or data on WP – so, well done!

Thanks so much Gibbsy! It started out as a bit of a hobby with the NFNL wikipedia page as I saw the names of several teams that didn't exist anymore and wondered if there was anything out there still about them. Eventually I was able to salvage all of the information after a few years of digging, slowly updating the page and drawing the jumper designs as I verified the information; after that I was able to complete the EFNL too, so you can take the information on the former clubs of those leagues as gospel for your website.

Truth be told, I left the former clubs of the EDFL until now because there were SO many former clubs that it was bound to be an enormous task to try and complete! Secondly, there seems to be far less information online about the ex-EDFL clubs compared to the other Melbourne Metro leagues for some reason so I often come to a roadblock quickly. I've used Australian Football a lot, so thank you for your contribution! A good source has actually been Facebook, as many old clubs still have reunions and they post up photos of their events, often with memorabilia such as the original jumper or their nickname, here on BigFooty or on the TROVE website. I'm not sure how far I'll get with the EDFL as the information trails are drying up, but it's been a fun process to solve the mysteries of the past and to keep the colours of the old clubs flying with the knowledge of those who may have seen them whilst they're still around before it is lost forever.

I've seen the St Oliver's jumper at the Northern Saints clubrooms as a green jumper with red yoke; does that sound familiar?
I think you are right having tried to visualise it from 40 odd years ago. Obviously right if you saw photos of them, and good to see the Saints acknowledge part of their history. Also recall them fielding senior teams in the old C Grade before the EDFL went back to 2 grades in the mid eighties.

I think you are right having tried to visualise it from 40 odd years ago. Obviously right if you saw photos of them, and good to see the Saints acknowledge part of their history. Also recall them fielding senior teams in the old C Grade before the EDFL went back to 2 grades in the mid eighties.

They played in the Freo jumpers when my family and I first got there. Green jumper with a red yoke is right. A great bunch of people.

Great job doing this.

Just for accuracy - Riverside Side Stars - Maroon jumper with a light blue star , left breast.

Jumper on display in Marbys rooms.
Thanks for this clarification! I haven't been to Marbys rooms so I took my best guess looking at a photo of the jumper on their Facebook Page. I'll update the image to the correct colours :thumbsu:

Moonee Ponds YCW entered the EDFL IN 1978 as Moonee Ponds. Played off against Brunswick City in the Grand Final at Windy Hill. Brunswick City won C Grade 1978. Moonee Ponds went on to win the 1979 C Grade Grand Final defeating Moonee Imps (Their last season) Moonee Ponds played on in B Grade until they merged with Essendon Y.C in 1983 and became Aberfeldie Park. Geelong colours. They retained the name Aberfeldie Park for 3 years 1983 -85. After complaints from Aberfeldie F.C they reverted back to Moonee Ponds until 1989? Moonee Ponds original colours were Green with the yellow yoke. They then had a vertical striped guernsey Deep Green and Gold. In the EDFL they wore a predominately Green Jumper with gold arm and neck trim. Yellow Shorts. Not 100% sure whether they continued to wear Geelong colours when they reverted back to Moonee Ponds in 1986.

Cheers

Rayzor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Refer Attached Moonee Ponds

Moonee Ponds 1979 C Grade Premiership Squad

1718095696304.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional:

It is my understanding that Bob Syme 1944- 1953 Essendon
Bob Bradley 1949 Premiership side Essendon
Kevin Egan Early 60's played at Essendon Under 19 and then seniors

All original clubs Moonee Ponds YCW

I also believe Jack Rennie - Lionel Rose's boxing trainer and Essendon identity played with Moonee Ponds YCW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back