Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

It may not be a popular view but I was not at all impressed by the women's team today. We seriously lacked height and strength and our ruck work was a little short of pathetic. Goodness only knows who picked this squad of short people but we are rapidly firming for a first wooden spoon. We are the least impressive team.

The crowd was fantastic and it was wonderful to see all the young girls at the ground enjoying the day but that was were the good news ended.

It may not be a popular view but I was not at all impressed by the women's team today. We seriously lacked height and strength and our ruck work was a little short of pathetic. Goodness only knows who picked this squad of short people but we are rapidly firming for a first wooden spoon. We are the least impressive team.

The crowd was fantastic and it was wonderful to see all the young girls at the ground enjoying the day but that was were the good news ended.
I agree, however I think Possibly) the nature of the team was forced on us to a degree. Our best young tall was Frederick Traub, who didn't nominate for WA. I do not think WA was blessed with a much in the way of dominant talls. So I think they went for a pacy skilled side, to spread it and move it quickly, but the skill bit isn't working. They are fumbly, and the kicking hasn't been good enough for that game plan. Worried about when we come up against Carlton, that is a side that could really beat up on us if we let it turn into a contested possession fight.

Totally agree.

Two years ago the WA state team beat Victoria. While a number have moved to other clubs there is just no depth. WA womens football has stagnated at that point while the other states have raced past. The VFL and SANFL have started their own elite womens comps. Numbers are booming and both those states have put in structures to improve the game. Qld has been strong at youth girls for a few seasons. They are on the rise.

The WAFC, WAFL and worst of all the WAWFL have sat on their butts for 5 years and done nothing. The numbers playing in the WAWFL last season were about the same as they were 5 years ago. No growth and no development. The competition is a lopsided farce and the small clubs get no support (from either the WAFC or WAWFL) and their players pillaged. Lucky clubs get help from their "affiliated" WAFL club while others get nothing. While number are up in the juniors unless they fix it at the top most of them will drop out.

I thought this may be a problem for Freo but believed the depth was there and hopefully it would force upheaval in the game for the better. Looks like i was wrong.

Unfortunately the result of this is Freo have a poor womens team.

The 8 clubs all put in a list of 5 players each from which 2 players were allocated as marquee players.
From WA: lions picked up Frederick Traub, Collingwood Emma King, GWS got 2, Crows got 2 and Dockers got 2(donellan & bowers) I think the other
3 sides had no WA players as marquee.

So our best two rucks are already gorn. Also Most of the WA girls nominated for the WA draft of which the dockers had sole picks. Cowan said that because
the comp was playing 16/side she has gone for runners not necessarily footballers who have decent skills.

The sides that have good marking targets up forward will succeed as most of the kicks going into forwardlines are long bombs. haven't seen too many passes to leading forwards as yet in any games

Also I think the trying to pinch players from other codes(& sports) who have not necessarily played at least a season in WAWFL is a slap in the face for the many girls and women who have paid their dues and should have been considered.

eg Kym Mickle- came to dockers recovering from shoulder surgery, has not played competitive football for yrs(if at all) ie body not not used to the rigours
picked up a hip issue missed the first game injured a knee in second

Also our capt is nicknamed juddy for a reason - explosive pace. however she is spending too much time on the inside trying to get the ball out to players not as quick.

Like others I had the expectation we'd be better than we have been given what "experts" said about the WA talent before the season started. Take away the expectation of being the early "favourite for the cup" and I'm actually not that upset with how they've gone. I don't think our skills have been great but I disagree with commentators that other teams have had far better skills. Most of what I have seen is grab the ball, kick it forward and hope that someone can mark it. Brisbane have some very good talls and simply out-marked us and thought they set up a wall across the centre line quite well to lock the ball in their forward half. In comparison I didn't think we looked as organised with our spread but some of our tackling was outstanding and some of the hard ball gets were pretty good too.

I really don't think the outcome of this season will tell us much in the long run. It's going to take a few seasons to see highly skilled women's football and I still like our list, I just think we have some key gaps and probably had too much of expectation of Houghton being able to ruck with almost zero experience. Bowes is out, Bentley isn't fully fit, Green is a bit "green" still, Houghton has played a total of 3 footy games. Donnellan is having to carry too much of the load atm.

My advice, don't worry too much about the results, so long as the team is improving just enjoy the journey. They were certainly a lot better than the last game imo as the effort seemed to be there majority of the game.

The 8 clubs all put in a list of 5 players each from which 2 players were allocated as marquee players.
From WA: lions picked up Frederick Traub, Collingwood Emma King, GWS got 2, Crows got 2 and Dockers got 2(donellan & bowers) I think the other

So our best two rucks are already gorn. Also Most of the WA girls nominated for the WA draft of which the dockers had sole picks. Cowan said that because
the comp was playing 16/side she has gone for runners not necessarily footballers who have decent skills.

The sides that have good marking targets up forward will succeed as most of the kicks going into forwardlines are long bombs. haven't seen too many passes to leading forwards as yet in any games

Also I think the trying to pinch players from other codes(& sports) who have not necessarily played at least a season in WAWFL is a slap in the face for the many girls and women who have paid their dues and should have been considered.

eg Kym Mickle- came to dockers recovering from shoulder surgery, has not played competitive football for yrs(if at all) ie body not not used to the rigours

Also our capt is nicknamed juddy for a reason - explosive pace. however she is spending too much time on the inside trying to get the ball out to players not as quick.

Great response and very informative.

I agree totally about the frustrating lack of targets up forward, we appear to have no pack marking ability at all. The girls showed some good movement around the ground but never kicked to a target in the forward line (oh well I guess that is a truly Freo thing!). They seemed to deal very badly with the extra defender and frankly the forward line players all seemed to lack any pace.

Why did so many WA girls nominate for the marquee draft instead of wanting to play for Freo?

Was there a different salary for marquee draft players?

Why did so many WA girls nominate for the marquee draft instead of wanting to play for Freo?

Was there a different salary for marquee draft players?

There was no marquee draft. Clubs nominated up to 5 preferred players, and the AFL worked out with those clubs the one or two they could have.

Players left after the marquee and priority pick rounds nominated for the state draft of their choice.

Low percentage that's why. Our girls are trying it at times due to the lack of distance in their kicking and not being able to make the distance, but the passes are missing the mark - by a long way!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't think the outcome of this season will tell us much in the long run. It's going to take a few seasons to see highly skilled women's football and I still like our list, I just think we have some key gaps and probably had too much of expectation of Houghton being able to ruck with almost zero experience. Bowes is out, Bentley isn't fully fit, Green is a bit "green" still, Houghton has played a total of 3 footy games. Donnellan is having to carry too much of the load atm.

That's the point I'm trying to make - If our two best rucks were gone in Marquee Round who is the third best/ Fourth best Ruck in WA? why not draft an experienced ruck and have Houghton as a back up? Being too cute trying to find the "diamond in the rough" from other codes instead of encouraging proven players to nominate for draft from state league then drafting them.

Our midfield without bowers is virtually non existent - Donnellan can't showcase her speed because she inside trying to get it out!!

That's the point I'm trying to make - If our two best rucks were gone in Marquee Round who is the third best/ Fourth best Ruck in WA? why not draft an experienced ruck and have Houghton as a back up? Being too cute trying to find the "diamond in the rough" from other codes instead of encouraging proven players to nominate for draft from state league then drafting them.

Our midfield without bowers is virtually non existent - Donnellan can't showcase her speed because she inside trying to get it out!!
The problem is there were no experienced rucks to draft.

No-one from Victoria would come over.

Once King was going to Collingwood and SFT to Brissy as marquees there was nothing. Chuot was next in line but she seems more suited to a defensive role rather than a contact ruck.

The WAWFL has been pretty much a 3 team competition for 15 years as those clubs have put their own ambitions ahead of growing and developing the league. The loss of the stars as marquees ans other for better gigs has shown up the lack of depth.

Shocking news!Some ACL's are so innocuous looking as was this one.
Doesn't help though.Hopefully no complications.
Determined athlete may see her have another go.

It will be interesting to monitor the incidence of ACL's in the women's league. By my count that's four already this season (including before it kicked off).

It's long been thought women are more prone to ACL's due to biomechanical differences, but now there's also research showing hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle can inhibit the firing of motor units to muscles that would normally play a protective role.

It will be interesting to monitor the incidence of ACL's in the women's league. By my count that's four already this season (including before it kicked off).

It's long been thought women are more prone to ACL's due to biomechanical differences, but now there's also research showing hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle can inhibit the firing of motor units to muscles that would normally play a protective role.

Great, yet another thing my partner can add to her list of things the menstrual cycle is inhibiting

This is bad news for women who play footy hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back