Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we likely to be battling for the spoon again or will we see some improvement?
Freo had a draw they should have won, and a loss by a point they should have won, and were competitive in most of the others.

They could easily have finished mid table with the group they had.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I expect us to be the same. The other states have actually done something about their women's comp while the WAWFL was the same farce it has been for years. The VFL introduced a girls TAC. SA has been working hard on their structure while WA did nothing. Weekends where three games were decided by a combined 450+ to 1 point was not unusual. No support from the WAFL, the clubs acting in their own interests, Freo indifferent....

Cowan still interested in 2k times rather than football ability. Complaining about the competition but not acknowledging that she was one of the reasons for the poor state of the comp.

The attitude of the Freo players was disappointing too. Some not playing. Others belittling opponents, more interested in fighting than playing and shouting at spectators. Acting as the big I am rather than doing something for the game (it will be difficult to support them after what i saw this season).

As for the talent days, maybe it would help if the played football in competitive games rather than show how good they can do in a 2K time trial?
If player can't a get a good 2km time, they don't deserve to play elite sport.

The issue I had with the coaching was the game style required a high skill level which the girls didn't have.

Best example was the first game against the Dogs. Strong wind and we tried to keep switching the play and turning over the ball. The Dogs played the dead side against the wind and didn't switch the ball.

I'd be hopeful season 1 brought plenty of lessons and they have been learnt.
Recruiting is the foundation so hope we've improved our model and Michelle Cowan has integrated all the lessons and comes back stronger and smarter.
I'm prepared to simply dismiss the last season as an introductory offer with plenty of issues which need to be addressed and resolved.
We'll see what we're worth in the coming season.
C'est la vie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awful result for the AFLW.
Dunno who was speaking at the end saying 'We stuck it right up 'em!' but I think the AFL is gonna have to do a bit more research and development into this particular expansion project.
I'd like to see it handled a bit better.

Awful result for the AFLW.
Dunno who was speaking at the end saying 'We stuck it right up 'em!' but I think the AFL is gonna have to do a bit more research and development into this particular expansion project.
I'd like to see it handled a bit better.
That was Daisy Pearce.

Really was a bit s**t, but shows how much further ahead Vic is than the rest of Australia in developing women's footy. They have full leagues over here, and it's just getting bigger and bigger. It'll be years before the Allies can catch up to that. All the talent in the world means nothing if like most WA/SA/rest of Aus players, you haven't played since you were 12 because there's no teams to play in, and then thrust into the top competition in the country.

I know the AFl is committed to bringing in more teams, but I wouldn't.
I think a 2 team expansion is a good idea because the season is so short at the moment, but 4 teams is too much. There's nowhere near enough talent.

Really hoping the injuries from last night's game aren't too bad too. Fingers crossed Bentley hasn't done a 3rd ACL before even playing a game :(

Underwood said that this week Geelong, St Kilda, Norf and West Coast were the most likely for next in. Then said given on the strength of Vic last night maybe they should forget a 2nd WA team and bring in Richmond :)
That's a horrible idea. They've got the chance to make an actual national comp, with teams spread evenly over the country. Sure it might hamper the comp for a couple of years, but basing everything in Melbourne again just makes an unbalanced comp forever.

Talk now of bringing in 6. On the basis that there are a lot of players who could make the grade with access to AFL training, and limiting the number of teams limits the quality rather than enhancing it.

I think a 2 team expansion is a good idea because the season is so short at the moment, but 4 teams is too much. There's nowhere near enough talent.

Really hoping the injuries from last night's game aren't too bad too. Fingers crossed Bentley hasn't done a 3rd ACL before even playing a game :(
Yeah one, maybe two in Melbourne, max.I would prefer to see an elite comp, then just making the Afl men's team happy, because they don't want to be left out. Yeah Kirby would be a big blow for Freo.

Talk now of bringing in 6. On the basis that there are a lot of players who could make the grade with access to AFL training, and limiting the number of teams limits the quality rather than enhancing it.

Might be a lot of players but that doesn't mean the quality is high enough.

Thought yesterday's game was a perfect example of the shallowness of quality currently. If anything I'd say there are almost too many teams - expansion seems crazy. Why force it? All the states have representation and that's all you need to justify investment in junior pathways leading to far better depth of quality in the future. Organic growth will lead to sustained success - growing it just to satisfy some egos risks everything. The clubs without women's teams will still benefit hugely if they enter the competition at a later stage because the juniors leagues are growing exponentially already without them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back