Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

The girls look fatigued after last week. Given our situation, why not throw Antonio forward and isolate her and Maguire in the F50. Instruct all others to go long and direct to these two....keep it simple!

I reckon that passage of play summed up the game. We had the ball going inside 50 - tried to pinpoint a target that probably wasn't there, but in any case the kick was ratshit and allowed GWS to trot off out of defence. They bombed it long to a 1 on 1 and because GWS ran harder forward they went onto it and bombed it long inside 50, where they won the contest. Thankfully the shot at goal missed, but they probably deserved a goal.

Cowan's style of play requires a skill level that just isn't there, and really only has a chance of working if we're faster than the opposition. Which we aren't.

Also noted a couple of things being at the game today - not hugely significant but I guess addressed in attention to detail and experience:
-handing ball to opposition quickly when conceding a free kick, which leaves players upfield out of position, rather than holding onto it or leaving for GWS to get it themselves

-being behind in the contest when ball moving toward our forward line- often end up in line by time the ball arrives but then you’re committed to a certain direction and unable to establish contact. The player already there can use muscle / change position to take the intercept mark. Not sure if that’s coaching or getting experience between our mids and forwards working together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

29 to 15 clearances and yet we get thumped. Didn't look strong enough or fast enough.
We always win the clearances because we have the extra player at the stoppages while we let the other team play their spare behind the ball. Then we wonder why we cant score!!!

Seriously, f**k being a forward in this team, what chance do they have.

Went down to the game today , Very disappointing , The usual Suspects Antonio Hooker Donnellan , Were good with little support , Just seemed to get smashed in the contest every time in the air and on the ground .

Went down to the game today , Very disappointing , The usual Suspects Antonio Hooker Donnellan , Were good with little support , Just seemed to get smashed in the contest every time in the air and on the ground .
Thought O'Sullivan was good at times as well. Donnellan seems twice as good as any other player in our team - if she ever breaks up with Antonio (who is a mad Freo supporter) we are completely ******.

We always win the clearances because we have the extra player at the stoppages while we let the other team play their spare behind the ball. Then we wonder why we cant score!!!

Seriously, f**k being a forward in this team, what chance do they have.

Sounds familiar

Now that i have had time to think about it , I will give credit to the GWS girls they played very well and deserved their win , They won the contested ball at will and played to their structures very well , This is the first AFLW match i have watched live outside the Optus match .I much preferred the product in the more intimate situation if you like at Fremantle oval. And will probably make my way down for the Last home game as well. Another observation was that once the JLT and even AFLX started the AFLW crowds drop same thing happened last year , Early crowds were over 5,000 and some even approaching 8,000 (and one even 43,000)but since JLT has started crowds i think were all under 3,000 this week didn't look at all so could be wrong on exact numbers

Now that i have had time to think about it , I will give credit to the GWS girls they played very well and deserved their win , They won the contested ball at will and played to their structures very well , This is the first AFLW match i have watched live outside the Optus match .I much preferred the product in the more intimate situation if you like at Fremantle oval. And will probably make my way down for the Last home game as well. Another observation was that once the JLT and even AFLX started the AFLW crowds drop same thing happened last year , Early crowds were over 5,000 and some even approaching 8,000 (and one even 43,000)but since JLT has started crowds i think were all under 3,000 this week didn't look at all so could be wrong on exact numbers

Also games at bigger venues, Carlton v Collingwood (rivalry), Adelaide v Brisbane (GF rematch) to start season helped earlier crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back