Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

10 minutes in, it looks like Freo are actively trying to avoid passing to a team mate. That this is a goal is the only thing I can think of that explains it.

Yeah, not quite sure what I'm watching. They look like they're going a million miles an hour without actually getting anywhere. Might just be first qtr of the first game nerves. Really messed up that opportunity for the first goal, I think it was Ebony who fumbled on the line. Fairly comical.

It seems we are playing exactly the same again. Being sucked into the ball. Dropping uncontested marks. If you move the ball at 45 or across the ground against Freo, absolutely carve us up.

On a positive note their fitness seems really good. Running out the last qtr quite well. We keep winning the ball back through sheer pressure.
And then managing to pick out the Crows player in amongst 3 Freo players for the turnover. Keep telling myself "it's only pre-season"... but yeah not great signs other than better fitness and winning possession.

They are fit enough. No question, they were running harder that last quarter. Just not strong enough, nor clean enough with the ball, they were so sloppy with the ball they seem to have given up on handballing. I mean fresh air kicks, handballs missing by a mile, fluffed kicks, I’d love to know the number of effective handballs. It would be at an all time low. It’s seems like the plan is to not handball to any options, even if they are present, run 5 steps and kick it directly at goal with no plan to build the ball whatsoever. None. Don’t handball to the player running past, that’s a ******* crime. Take 2 steps in the opposite direction of the player providing an option and kick long.

Lots of new faces so not the end of the world. Thought Pugh was good in defence. And Duffy did some nice things. Lots of nerves out there as you'd expect. Didn't think Donnellan and Antonio were any where near as good as they normally are. Missed Millers pace and run. Hooker is always good. Great to see Bowers get through and take a big hit and bounce straight back up... she did some classy things and will build. Think a lot of the problem was composure. Often had plenty of time to find a good easy option but dropped it on the boot long instead. Bit of coordinated movement forward of centre wouldn't hurt either. Crows are a great example of a good forward line that moves in sync with each other.

Going over the video again. Its probably not as bad as I first thought. I only caught part of it live, and some of the disposals in what I saw were horrendous. Freo were up for significant stretches of play, but had trouble putting goals on. Scoring shots were in fact similar.

A lot of the poor kicking looked to be the fault of the players down field. The ball was kicked under pressure to the obvious spot, but only Crows were there.

Positives
Bowers is noticeably cleaner with her hands than most of her team mates. With a few games under her belt, potentially Freos best player.
Houghton I thought was up and about, but it never quite fell for her, there is upside there.
Pugh looked good.
Laurie looks undersized in the ruck, in both height and weight, but started to do a bit around the ground. Would rather her ruck than McAuliffe, who also tends to lose the ruck, but does less elsewhere.
Stewart did very little, but is a classy player, so there is upside there, but no certainty to get a game first up based on today.
Donellan played well, but can play better.
Hooker continued on from last year, Freos most consistent performer by a street.
Antonio looked OK
Duffy did enough to warrant a first up game.
Darwin is notorious for the slippery conditions of the ball, so skill errors may be somewhat exaggerated today.
Green and Miller didnt play, so the midfield should get a bit stronger.

Edit: Either Davidson and Caulfield didn't play, or had very limited minutes. Davidson in particular is often a player given the role of delivering the ball out of defence.

Last edited:
EXTENDED SQUAD
Fremantle v Melbourne
Casey Fields, Melbourne

Backs: Evie Gooch, Tayla Bresland, Ange Stannett
Half Back: Alex Williams, Ebony Antonio, Stephanie Cain
Centre: Sabreena Duffy
Half Forward: Kellie Gibson, Gemma Houghton, Gabby O’Sullivan
Forwards: Philipa Seth, Ashley Sharp, Kiara Bowers
Ruck/Followers: Parris Laurie, Dana Hooker, Kara Donnellan
Interchange from: Hayley Miller, Katie-Jayne Grieve, Laura Pugh, Leah Mascall, Brianna Moyes, Courtney Stubbs, Mel Caulfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Antonio at half back? I thought she was going forward this year?
I think they want to keep her at half back but unless Houghton comes out and dominates she'll be shifted forward plenty still. Williams coming back in alongside Bresland makes it a bit easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back