Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports psych definitely, I’d hope this is already apart of our overall player development though?

Biomechanist would be interesting, not gonna pretend to know full specifics on what that would mean, and Id definitely love to see the results if a club went that in depth with it. I think you’ve gotta be careful about overcomplicating on a technical level, what’s a pretty simple football action though.

I think an ex player who was good at the skill and knows the fundamentals and who is a good communicator is what you want IMO. Just someone who can work with the individual players to develop their own set routines and find what works for them, and it’ll be different for each. The main thing is just ensuring these guys know the fundamentals of what they should be doing, and stick to training that routine consistently. It’s obvious our guys don’t do that currently with the way they run in - just little things like run in straight at the goals ffs, head over the ball and momentum behind you. It’s ripe across the AFL but when you see guys walk slowly on an arc, lean back and try to hoof it off their final step it *ing blows my mind this hasn’t been picked up on and fixed.

Of course under match pressure it’s a different story but so long as they have that training behind them and the confidence in their routine that’s key.

Point being I think you want to keep things really bloody simple here, overcomplicating it will just have a negative effect IMO
We just need more Myotherapists….perhaps even an Aromatherapist

I've always wondered the same.

Dixon is a flog BUT he's been a contractor goal kicking coach around the league for a while.

I cannot remember for the life of me who he worked with and they improved out of sight? Was it Cloke?

He bangs on about thinking about your best sexual experience during the run up or something which seems to work lol.

My worst sexual experience was magnificent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Strange article is gone but if true, I really like it.

16 years in AFL when lets be honest, he had no afl traits just got the best out of himself. Extensive leadership experience captain for 5 seasons and leadership groups for many more.

Some pretty big endorsements in the above article. We need more of this sort of attitude in our playing group, hopefully he can rub off on them.

GLASS HALF FULL
Sounds like the Dale Morris and Easton Wood of St Kilda

Or

GLASS HALF EMPTY
Why are we recruiting Geary (Gears) and Coffield (coff) from Saints, I wasn’t even born in 1966

Naughton, Marra, Darcy, Richards are the ones I see as having the strongest leadership traits, but do need some development.

Funnily enough, I actually think Baz has the makings of an exceptional leader and think he seems like the type of person to flourish with extra responsibility - but he needs to sort his own mental demons first.

Agree - Demons or confusion from his minders / manager to maximise $$$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He bangs on about thinking about your best sexual experience during the run up or something which seems to work lol.
If he can turn our forward line in to a bunch of dead eye dicks I'm all for it.
I imagine that the retelling of the ballad of Eskimo Nell will figure highly in this overall improvement.

I've always wondered about goalkicking coaches being former players. Strikes me as the kinda role that would be better suited to a biomechanist in concert with a sports psych.

I'm one of the (probably) few who think there's too much thought going into a routine.

I get the whole 'using the full 30 second' thing till to lower the heart rate (obviously a proven technique [surely a few of us played Winter Sports on the Amiga ☺️]), but it seems to me that a lot of players, a lot of the time are concentrating more on the clock than their actual objective.

It's almost cliché these days but most of the players are excellent field kickers. They make great decisions and execute with heart rates of 160+ all the time.

Personally (genuinely), I'd get them to have a go at walking back from the mark a certain, set distance (number of steps), take as much of the 30 seconds as possible then take off. Get away from the whole 'idea' of it being a set shot and make it a kick on the run to someone they've picked out behind the goals.

Anyway, I'm unlikely to be at Barkers anything soon...

[Oddly enough that's not actually true, I might be moving to the area very soon.]

I'm one of the (probably) few who think there's too much thought going into a routine.

I get the whole 'using the full 30 second' thing till to lower the heart rate (obviously a proven technique [surely a few of us played Winter Sports on the Amiga ☺️]), but it seems to me that a lot of players, a lot of the time are concentrating more on the clock than their actual objective.

It's almost cliché these days but most of the players are excellent field kickers. They make great decisions and execute with heart rates of 160+ all the time.

Personally (genuinely), I'd get them to have a go at walking back from the mark a certain, set distance (number of steps), take as much of the 30 seconds as possible then take off. Get away from the whole 'idea' of it being a set shot and make it a kick on the run to someone they've picked out behind the goals.

Anyway, I'm unlikely to be at Barkers anything soon...

[Oddly enough that's not actually true, I might be moving to the area very soon.]
I’ve been watching a lot of old classic VFL and VFA footage recently and they just went back and went bang! So much better at kicking for goal then. No theatrics after the goal also.

I’ve been watching a lot of old classic VFL and VFA footage recently and they just went back and went bang! So much better at kicking for goal then. No theatrics after the goal also.
There's probably a lot more mental pressure in this era, with the players knowing every TV camera is on their every step and twitch and a million viewers are going to be posting their abuse if they miss.

Is kicking for goal on the run easier than a set shot? Don't you just aim for the red hat in the crowd behind the goals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back