Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially, we used Brisbane’s first on Croft, and our 2023 and 2024 firsts on Sanders. Had we not made that trade, our best case scenario would be getting Darcy Wilson with our first and matching Croft with Brisbane’s first. Wilson, Croft, and our 2024 first in place would have been good.

Another possibility would be a team like Essendon spite bidding on Croft, we pay our first for him, and Brisbane’s first comes somewhere around pick 28. We end up with Croft, whatever midfielder we can find at that fairly barren stage of the draft , and our 2024 first rounder. Less good a deal.

i didn’t like the future first trade at the time. Let’s hope Sanders is worth it.

This isn’t correct at all.

Picks 10 and 17 would have been swallowed up by the Croft bid.

In reality, we gave up the F1 at the time (this year’s pick) to jump up and pick Sanders.

In reality, we gave up the F1 at the time (this year’s pick) to jump up and pick Sanders.
The bid for Croft came after pick 10, unless your saying someone would have bid on him earlier to force our hand which was certainly a possibility.

Croft was bid at by Sydney at pick 15.

We would have given up pick 17. After Academy picks this blows out to 20.

Our pick 10 blows out to 12-13.

So we would have pick 12-13. Plus all our picks next year.

Am I reading this wrong ?

Nah you got it right, that’s my bad, I misremembered.

Bevo's last 8 games, 3 and 5 with an incredibly easy draw, this is clearly a bottom 4 team

lost to Hawks
lost to West Coast
beat Geelong (tanking with half a side in)
lost to Melbourne (belted)
beat Gold Coast
beat West Coast
lost to Geelong
lost to Bombers (injury hit)

Gee that's hard reading. The Gold Coast game the only good win, and it's still just Gold Coast, and they had to play in Ballarat.

But also no Sanders. Let's say we finish 12th, I guess that means we paid pick 12/13 (2023) and pick 7ish (2024) for him + some Croft points.

But also no Sanders. Let's say we finish 12th, I guess that means we paid pick 12/13 (2023) and pick 7ish (2024) for him + some Croft points.
Sanders ended up being pick 6. So we gave up pick 12 + pick 7(2024) for pick 6 (Sanders) in that scenario.

On paper it doesn't look that good a deal.

Sanders ended up being pick 6. So we gave up pick 12 + pick 7(2024) for pick 6 (Sanders) in that scenario.

On paper it doesn't look that good a deal.

Time will tell how good it would be, but it wasn’t a great deal, considering the Suns were taking L’s in every other deal except the one we did

Fake Tom Browne Twitter account said dogs board held crisis talks this morning with Beveridge maybe sacked this Monday.

Got excited even though it was Browne.... until I realised it was the fake one so even less likely than zero

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fake Tom Browne Twitter account said dogs board held crisis talks this morning with Beveridge maybe sacked this Monday.

Got excited even though it was Browne.... until I realised it was the fake one so even less likely than zero

I was going to say fake one is more likely than the real one.

Consistently good teams like Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood for example have strong systems and belief in those systems.

When things are not going well, the majority of times it is them going away from those systems. They rarely change things, they merely go back and double down on executing their system.

We will not become a genuine top 4 challenger until we have systems that stand up under pressure that we can go back to if we go away from the system that we know works well and we trust.

There is a change in our system this year. Too early to just whether it is one that can stand up be trusted, we will not know this until the second half of the year and in the meantime it will be tweaked. The next 6 weeks are critical for our season in bedding down the system whilst winning games
I don’t include Melbourne in that list.
Who are the next ones in line?
Port will get Carr.
Gia?
The Eagles will eventually get Cox.
Caracella?
Mcqualter?
Graham?
Clarko, Bevo, Kingsley and even Chris Scott more or less came from nowhere to be appointed. I’d cast a wide net and keep a very open mind.

I don’t actually expect a dramatic change in fortunes if we part ways with Bevo. Might get the usual dead cat bounce if a caretaker is appointed but I think we need a change in on field personnel and some time if we are to really improve and challenge.

Trying to think what’s been the most embarrassing defeat since the shambles of a last quarter in the 2021 grand final.

The constant losses to Melb where the game plays out the exact same way every single time? 2022, 2023, 2024 have been basically carbon copies.

Same with Geelong. Every time (besides when they played their twos) we lose in the exact same way.

The elimination final loss to Fremantle where we had them dead and buried at half time?

Round 2 in 2023 vs Essendon where Ross Lyon obliterated Beveridge in the box. Underrated how embarrassing this night was.

Losing to the Hawks in Tassie when our season was on the line? Liber goes down and Beveridge just lets Newcombe run around by himself all day. Tim English taking kick outs just horrible.

Losing to the Eagles? Nothing really needs to be said here.

I reckon last night was right up there. Losing to an Essendon side which was dead set weak vs Port. Smashed by injuries. Their full forward suspended. One goal in a half until the game was dead. Just so sad.

I think the most disappointing thing is we’ve basically pissed away all time great seasons from Bont and all time great inside mid seasons from Liber. Plus Macrae from 2018-2022. That’s the best midfield this club has ever had, and they’ve got one flag to show for it. When they were kids.

We all talk about 2016 and 2021, but people forget how shit we were in 2017 and 2018. That we got demolished by GWS in a final in 2019. Lost to the Saints in a final 2020. Had one of the all time chokes in 2022 against Freo. Even when we made the gran final in 2021 we were behind the 8 ball cos we choked in the end of the home and away.

Everyone was so unworried about Dunkley going, he was a massive loss. I worry that if we lose Smith what it’s gonna do to the midfield. So much heavy lifting by Liber, Bont and Treloar.

The mismanagement of players. Macrae, Daniel, JJ, Dunkley all stars who got mismanaged. So many average players you could name as well. So many VFL players getting games over these days. It just makes no sense.

I don’t know what has to happen for this shit show to end, but if we piss away the Jammarah / Darcy / Naughton era like we did the Bont / Liber / Macrae I’ll be very sad.

I mean if we don’t do this trade we don’t have Sanders.

We desperately needed a young midfielder and we got a good one by the looks of it.

I’d still do that trade at this point.
It's not looking quite so good now, with us a chance of finishing bottom four and facing a likely rebuild (which takes the urgency out of getting a good one in 2023).

Sanders looks good but is he equivalent to a 2024 top-4 pick on his own, let alone the other picks we gave up? I'm not 100% convinced yet, but I still hope to be.

And before everyone piles on I know that it was a complex deal involving bid matching for Croft.

The best way to look at it might be that we gave up picks 11, 18 (two first rounders) plus this year's first rounder (likely to be inside the top 8, maybe even top 4) for Sanders and only part of Croft. It also meant yet again we had no meaningful picks in the 20-40 range. If we finish at the bottom end of the ladder this year we may come to regret that. It will be more bearable if Sanders turns into a top 20 player for us (and stays a good number of years).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back