Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of what Bevo is trying to do is definitely in the right direction and its the way the game is moving. I'm not crying over Daniel or Macrae or Dale. All 3 dropped off last year and should be fighting for spots. If we can't cover them, we have no depth and its just excuses. I would play Naughts back, yet that's another discussion.

I reckon Bevo has until about the half way mark to get by in from the players. If not, I'm sure they will act. I don't think he is a bad coach, just very stubbord and the message has got old. Plus we have a bunch of players in the comfort zone. We have Brendon Lade, and ex robust style ruckman as an assistant yet he lets English, look at the player at the CB and avoid any physical contact. Our onballers do not work hard enough in defense.

Last edited:

The path to personal peace in this situation is acceptance.

Accept that our list isn't much chop and that the experts wanting you to believe that it's a top 4 list are attempting to reside rent free in your noggin and have you click on them, listen to them, watch them. Your grief sustains them, employs them and generally supports their lifestyles. Is that what you want? Is it? To pay Cane Toads mortgage, for Caros cosmetic surgery.

Accept that Bevo isn't going anywhere this season.

There's much serenity to be had with acceptance. Enough for everybody.
There’s a chance the board has their heads in the sand or are making poor decisions, but it’s also certain they have information we don’t.

It might be that some of our older players are battling degenerative injuries, or there have been fractures in the playing group (a former player told me it was constantly like managing high school students) or any number of other things contributing to our flakey form.

I think a few more performances like against Essendon will probably lead to bloodshed but I don’t think it would help at this stage of the season at all.

There’s a chance the board has their heads in the sand or are making poor decisions, but it’s also certain they have information we don’t.

It might be that some of our older players are battling degenerative injuries, or there have been fractures in the playing group (a former player told me it was constantly like managing high school students) or any number of other things contributing to our flakey form.

I think a few more performances like against Essendon will probably lead to bloodshed but I don’t think it would help at this stage of the season at all.
The high school student syndrome is one that probably does as much damage as anything.
I would have got rid of the cheer leader of that particular sect last year...at any price.

The path to personal peace in this situation is acceptance.

Accept that our list isn't much chop and that the experts wanting you to believe that it's a top 4 list are attempting to reside rent free in your noggin and have you click on them, listen to them, watch them. Your grief sustains them, employs them and generally supports their lifestyles. Is that what you want? Is it? To pay Cane Toads mortgage, for Caros cosmetic surgery.

Accept that Bevo isn't going anywhere this season.

There's much serenity to be had with acceptance. Enough for everybody.
breaking bad laughing GIF

How much longer can we accept our forwards crashing into each other in the air also? I’m all for a list shake up, but some of the things occuring on the ground are mind boggling.
Our defenders do exactly the same thing. That's not talent level, that's coaching.
Naughton not being able to buy a goal and have Lobb, JUH, Darcy, Weightman and English all being able to play his role forward and not moving him back where we need young kpd's, that's coaching.
Having a game plan where everyone cheats ahead of the ball and defends grass and open space but not the opposition, that's coaching.
Having no idea how to stop an opposition's strength, that's coaching.

I've got news for anyone thinking this list isn't good enough to be top 4. If you're waiting to have a whole team of All Australian's. Let me know when that happens. I'll put up my hand to get paid 850k a year to coach them to finals.
But until that happens I'd expect us to beat the likes of the Eagles, Hawks, Essendon, etc. FFS muppets on here we celebrating last season when we had a come from behind win against North Melbourne.

P.S. Sorry for the rant. You touched a nerve with your post.

Our defenders do exactly the same thing. That's not talent level, that's coaching.
Naughton not being able to buy a goal and have Lobb, JUH, Darcy, Weightman and English all being able to play his role forward and not moving him back where we need young kpd's, that's coaching.
Having a game plan where everyone cheats ahead of the ball and defends grass and open space but not the opposition, that's coaching.

I've got news for anyone thinking this list isn't good enough to be top 4. If you're waiting to have a whole team of All Australian's. Let me know when that happens. I'll put up my hand to get paid 850k a year to coach them to finals.
But until that happens I'd expect us to beat the likes of the Eagles, Hawks, Essendon, etc. FFS muppets on here we celebrating last season when we had a come from behind win against North Melbourne.

Rant away mate, I’m a very unhappy supporter right now.

You don't need a team of All Australians you need a critical mass of players who have it in them to do what it takes, and some of those players need to be talented....like we had in 2016. We had enough of that type to carry the very flawed genius Stringer types.

On exposed form, we don't have that critical mass of mentally tough campaigners who will knuckle down when things inevitably get tough.

I believe it to be a player/list DNA issue more than a coaching one. A ghost of trades and drafts past.

So we will probably continue to lose games that we shouldn't for a bit because sometimes the players in those other teams go harder than we expect, and then we have to fight and compete to win....and that's difficult....why can't it be easy?

Kane's right. You can't buy that anyone with half a brain is happy with how things are going.

Why bring in Rory Lobb & Liam Jones if we're doing a rebuild.

Of course nobodies happy with things. But Kanes an insufferable fool with a personal agenda.

We didn't have a single player on the list capable of playing full back at the time of Jones' recruitment. How anybody can use this to justify their attack on the club beggars belief.

The Lobb recruitment can be judged as a fail with the benefit of hindsight. However this just ignores the reality that he was recruited as cover for the development of Darcy and as an upgrade on Sweet. That Darcy is coming on quicker than anybody would've ever expected is a net positive for us. Lobb is serviceable and cheap coverage. People in the media need to stop talking him up as if he's Max Gawn as a means of grinding their axe.

There is much to criticise Bevo and the club for. The recruitment of these two is not amongst them.
Good coaches FIND spots for good players like Macrae, Daniel & Dale. Build a gameplan that fits them so you get the most out of them & aren't playing VFL players.

15 & 16 were a ton of fun.

21 was a ride.

Other than that it has been a s**t show given the talent at his disposal.

Time to move on.
The problem with the first two in particular is that any gameplan that is tailored to their skillset is going to be to the detriment of the side overall. We desperately need to get speed on the ball which is why they've found their positions in the side taken by kids or cast offs. We just couldn't go into another season with a starting midfield of The Bont, Libba and Macrae. Teams caught on that once the ball is outside of the contest they were for the most part ineffective. Ask Melbourne. They know.

Daniel has been tried all over ground in search of his best position and Macrae has been tried as a hf and the wing. As a way of getting more out of them and the reality is that they've been found wanting. Why they have dogmatically stuck with Dale at hb is a legitimate question. All three of these players have been on a steady decline over the past 12 months.

Its time to rip the band aid off and move past these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have accepted that the club has no aspirations and is happy making up the numbers, finishing 8th or 9th and no higher. They will take members money but have no real desire to make the decisions required to contend for another premiership. Nobody wants to admit there’s a problem because that means certain positions will come under fire.

This is a lot of spin after expectations were seemingly high following the review. This was the fittest and strongest side. Sanders was the second coming of Jesus Christ. We traded away our 2024 first round pick. Etc.

There seems to be a lot of back-pedalling and arse-covering, bordering on gaslighting.

As said previously committing hard to a particular direction is what is required. Bevo will probably be here until he retires so I’d rather we go whole hog and burn this list down if we truly believe our coaching is infallible and our players are simply s**t.

So... we're contending... but... we're having a shake up? I'm actually more confused than before...
We're in the competition to contend, like everyone else.

Realistically, there are other more consistent teams better placed than us to do that successfully this season.

I don't think I've ever been less confused about where we are at in a season.

The question I ask is why people need the coach to spell it out for them in the media. Some things are just self evident.

You can’t just say ‘we’re rebuilding.’ at round 5 . It’s not soccer , we can’t sign Sam Taylor for $5 million. Saying we’re rebuilding at this stage of the year is running up the white flag . It sends a terrible message to supporters . Stick a fork in 2024, we’re done?

So we get rid of a load of much loved players at seasons end , bottom out , and hope to contend again in 5 years time ? Is that the plan ?

If it is , Bev will go from barely tolerated to full on torches & pitchforks hatred .

Any ‘in the knows’ here heard anything about Bevo being moved on in the next 24 hours? Or just more BS rumours doing the rounds?
I'm not an ITK, but its all BS.

Most of it came from people stupidly believing that unverified fake Tom Browne twitter account spreading BS. Amazed that page has not been booted yet.

Bevo wouldn't have fronted the media today for his usual conference if he was going to get booted this week. He would have been given the flick first thing Monday, before any training and media duties.

The wings are not the issue to why we see teams walk it out 5 times in a row for 5 straight goals time to time. Our main three Libba, Bont, Treloar all hunt the ball, cheat forward. They are average at setting up defensively to stop a bleed. Teams just need to put quick players in the middle and spread out, and we lack the leg speed to catch up.

Yes our wingers are poor, yes we need much better ones for when we ourselves dish it wide, or rebound from defensive 50, or provide good defensive cover when we turn it over in attack. But they are not the reason we struggle in the middle which itself has been a glaring issue.
I wasn’t suggesting that necessarily. Much like forward entries and F50 conversion are two different elements of the forward line, I see centre bounce performance and transition down the field as two different matters.

It's not the wings’ fault we let the opponents walk the ball out of stoppages, but they are responsible for defensive gut running and providing run and carry on offence which we don’t get enough of. The entire centre line is performing poorly as a collective, though centre bounces are the bigger concern imo

Last edited:
COMPARISON OF 2016 GF TEAM v CURRENT 2024 AVALIABLE CROP
There has been a lot of discussion by the media this week on whether our list is over-rated.
It's always incredibly difficult to compare talent. It may also be that you simply need more or less talent today than some comparable time. One way to at least mitigate this factor is to count those players available for selection who have played at least one dominant outstanding game, where the media, umpires or an AA panel have voted for them. At the very least these players are capable whether or not they are consistent, in or out of form is another matter.

FWIW we appear to have the same number of players capable of dominating a game during 2023/24 as we had in a our premiership year. You may quibble over a name here or there but it's so close. i This does not mean we are ready or should be winning flags. But to not even make the 8 in 2023 and to fall against Essendon as we did last weekend is damning of the list and/or coach. We are underperforming. Damning losses have become routine.

In conclusion, the list is not over-rated. Moreover, there is a good new crop beating at the door: Freijah, Clarke, Busslinger and Croft. Looked at as a whole the list is healthy - only need to concentrate on replacing an aging midfielder is all and Sanders is good start.

Our coaches, are simply not up to it. Everyone knows it. It's not just that Beveridge is stubborn, he is disliked in the AFL and cannot attract the smart assistants who could cover his tactical weaknesses. We've had successive years now of confessed nonsense like our refusal to stand the mark, project players selected with no identifiable AFL standard qualities. Only when entire world knows it's a failure do we change.

And we still persist with the extra in the midfield even with 5 minutes to go when we are behind.

Us supporters on the outside can't know what's going on - all we can see is the output. And the output has never been quite this frustrating. There is a lack of passion, a lack of urgency, and lack of any killer instinct. That's why our players miss simple goals and our opponents convert from 50 on acute angles - they are desperate and careful to give it the best chance possible we aren't.

The players may say they love Beveridge but they aren't showing it. In fact they are showing their contempt and lack of faith in him.

2016 BEST ON GROUND CAPABLE
Jason Johannisen, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris, Easton Wood, Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Picken
Jackson Macrae, Jake Stringer, Tory Dickson, Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

13 Players who had recorded a BOG game - as judged by Media, AA and or Brownlow votes

NOT YET
Josh Dunkley, Joel Hamling, Zaine Cordy, Shane Biggs, Tom Boyd, Clay Smith, Jordan Roughead, Toby McLean, Fletcher Roberts

9 players who had not

Please note: This was Dunkley's first year and Robert Murphy is injured would make a total of 14.

2024 BEST OF GROUND CAPABLE & AVAILABLE
Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Tim English, Jason Johannisen, Liam Jones, Tony Liberatore, Jake Macrae, Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards, Adam Treloar, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman,

13 Players who had recorded a BOG game - as judged by Media, AA and or Brownlow votes

NOT YET
Oscar Baker, Sam Darcy, Harvey Gallagher, Buku Khamis, Jame O'Donnell, Ryley Sanders, Lathan Vandermeer, Rylee West, Bailey Williams, Lachlan Bramble, Taylor Durea

11 players who had not
Please note: Bailey Smith is out injured as Robert Murphy was in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back