Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not going to beat him up tonight, because I broadly agree.

But is our incredibly poor tackling not a coaching issue? Or that half backs seem to have free license to take on stupid kicks into the corridor and cost us goals every game?

I feel like if our team did footy basics well we’d almost be a top four team.

I wont say top 4 but I would agree top 8.. Just too hot & cold and depth is a problem

I wont say top 4 but I would agree top 8.. Just too hot & cold and depth is a problem

Yeah, but re. depth Sydney played 3-4 guys tonight who if they played for us would be hot property on the changes threads. They have a better system and right now better players.

We have 8-10 above average players the right side of 30. They’re not consistent, but if they can be then that’s the most important part of a flag team.

He would be a good addition to the media. It's a very low bar that could do with raising.
oh great, Selwood with his Geelong bias and Pendleton with his Collingwood bias, why can’t we have more Richo such a legend.

I’m not going to beat him up tonight, because I broadly agree.

But is our incredibly poor tackling not a coaching issue? Or that half backs seem to have free license to take on stupid kicks into the corridor and cost us goals every game?

I feel like if our team did footy basics well we’d almost be a top four team.
Turnovers killed us last night, and not just any turnover but really stupid ones under little to no pressure. Dale's overcooked kick-in to Jones, Bramble deciding not to give a simple handball but take on 3 blokes on the back flank and about 5 others

I think the top 4 list narrative is a trap.

I view it through a 4 finals games prism. Can the list produce a side that is capable of sustaining a run of 4 competitive games in September.

Through this prism I say no to this year, largely due to the tender age and experience of many key players.

Next year we get closer to yes.

I'm very very happy with the last 3 weeks of footy. Have really injected these new faces into the team and are playing with a lot more pace. We don't seem to be flicking it around as much and playing a far better brand of footy. If you are critical of bevo you must also praise him when he has gotten a lot of tough decisions 100% correct

Bevo (and team) get a reprieve until end of year at least.

That was a pretty impressive effort against the clear premiership favourites.

Not just the intent but also some good moves and tactics. I wish we could have had that sort of approach the last couple of years.

Just got to maintain it now. No falling away in intensity until Mad Monday.
He will be coach next year whatever happens 🙂

oh great, Selwood with his Geelong bias and Pendleton with his Collingwood bias, why can’t we have more Richo such a legend.
We’ve got Darcy 🙂 who opposition fans get enraged about when he’s anywhere near our games.

Johnno bends over backwards to be impartial when commenting on our games and still cops flak but Lewis, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dixon get a free pass.

Bevo (and team) get a reprieve until end of year at least.

That was a pretty impressive effort against the clear premiership favourites.

Not just the intent but also some good moves and tactics. I wish we could have had that sort of approach the last couple of years.

Just got to maintain it now. No falling away in intensity until Mad Monday.
I would be beyond surprised if Bevo doesn't or hasn't already seized upon this game to reiterate to his charges that they can compete with the best if they bring this work ethic and intensity to each game. It's a huge opportunity to build belief into the squad.

His presser kind of suggested that. He appeared genuinely pleased with the character they showed and tbh how could you not be?

A very good game for us, for the players and for Bevo. Win win win. Shame about the injuries.

I can handle missing finals if we are blooding young players and despite my affirmative position that’s it time we move on from Bevo (and he move on from us), if he prioritises the selection of the right players then he “could” have another year.

If we miss finals and he’s playing Bramble, Daniel, Gardiner, Poulter (types that aren’t taking us forward) then he just has to go.

I can handle missing finals if we are blooding young players and despite my affirmative position that’s it time we move on from Bevo (and he move on from us), if he prioritises the selection of the right players then he “could” have another year.

If we miss finals and he’s playing Bramble, Daniel, Gardiner, Poulter (types that aren’t taking us forward) then he just has to go.
My thoughts exactly. I love seeing Garcia, Sanders, Freijah, Cleary, O’Donell, West, Darcy in there. Would love to see Clarke get a full game soon. Bendendo getting a good run before he was discarded,if he didn’t get one.
How good is it seeing Richards thrive in the middle where he belongs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also is there anything stopping Libba from playing?
He would be on a conservative, graduated return-to-play concussion protocol where the level of activity gradually escalates over the span of 3-4 weeks while monitoring for the re-emergence of symptoms.

I can't believe Bevo gets the amount of stick he does for moving the magnets around and tinkering with the team.

Probably the coach I most admire is Pep Guardiola, who's often seen as one of the best tacticians. I'm not saying Bevo is Pep, but I respect their appetite for risk to try things others wouldn’t even consider.

This willingness to take risks and try new stuff can be crucial for success. Experimenting lets Bevo see his players strengths and weaknesses in different roles, which helps them grow and become more versatile. Even if something doesn’t work out right away, the lessons learned can pay off later.

Plus, trying players in different positions gives Bevo more flexibility for different games. He can adjust the team’s setup to exploit specific opponents weaknesses or deal with injuries. This kind of adaptability is key for staying competitive over a long season.

I can't believe Bevo gets the amount of stick he does for moving the magnets around and tinkering with the team.

Probably the coach I most admire is Pep Guardiola, who's often seen as one of the best tacticians. I'm not saying Bevo is Pep, but I respect their appetite for risk to try things others wouldn’t even consider.

This willingness to take risks and try new stuff can be crucial for success. Experimenting lets Bevo see his players strengths and weaknesses in different roles, which helps them grow and become more versatile. Even if something doesn’t work out right away, the lessons learned can pay off later.

Plus, trying players in different positions gives Bevo more flexibility for different games. He can adjust the team’s setup to exploit specific opponents weaknesses or deal with injuries. This kind of adaptability is key for staying competitive over a long season.
Yes, he has got stick sometimes for trying things that didn't work (and persisting too long when it was clear to anyone watching it wouldn't work) but he has frequently copped it for NOT moving the magnets enough. He has also made some very successful changes over his career ... as you'd hope any long term coach would.

Personally I don't mind him trying things, either strategically (across a season) or tactically (before and within a game). But sometimes it has looked like he was so determined to show everybody he was right that he didn't revert or make the obvious adjustments early enough. That's why people started calling him stubborn.

What the real truth is within the walls of MWO and the coach's box we don't really know. Chances are it's a half-truth but also that there have been many other factors at play.

Yes, he has got stick sometimes for trying things that didn't work (and persisting too long when it was clear to anyone watching it wouldn't work) but he has frequently copped it for NOT moving the magnets enough. He has also made some very successful changes over his career ... as you'd hope any long term coach would.

Personally I don't mind him trying things, either strategically (across a season) or tactically (before and within a game). But sometimes it has looked like he was so determined to show everybody he was right that he didn't revert or make the obvious adjustments early enough. That's why people started calling him stubborn.

What the real truth is within the walls of MWO and the coach's box we don't really know. Chances are it's a half-truth but also that there have been many other factors at play.
Naughton is the number one rated forward in the game so I can see why he has resisted the temptation to move him back. What are some examples where he has remained stubborn despite something not working?

Naughton is the number one rated forward in the game so I can see why he has resisted the temptation to move him back. What are some examples where he has remained stubborn despite something not working?
There aren't any I can think of.

Easton Wood forward lasted like 1-2 weeks from memory.

Perhaps the reluctance to have Roughead play down back in his later years once Tim had really taken the role over, but I'm clutching at straws a bit.

Outside five.
Zone defence/set ups being too aggressive.
Playing -
McComb
McNeil
Playing out of form players for years -
JJ
Williams
Whilst not giving younger players a fair go ( this season not included)
Having the same game plan for 9 years.
Having the same 3 players attend the CBA for 90% of the game.
Unless forced by injury. Rarely makes any in game moves.
Seemingly putting little effort into taking away the opposition's strength.( We'll back our game plan against theirs)
Losing in the same manner for years without addressing the issue.

That's just some off the top of my head.

The only major change I would make that's an easy fix
Is to tell Jones sometimes he doesn't need to crash the pack when we have 2 defenders ready for a mark

If we play like we did this week for the rest of the year, I don't mind him staying into the last year of his contract & then re-assessing.

Especially if we're pumping games into kids to 'evolve' the team.

We MUST get a gun forward coach for next year. Enough is enough with these structures & efficiency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back