Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant surely can’t survive, he’s overseen the football department which has been bloody atrocious, that surely falls on his shoulders. Plus there was the whole Dalrymple debacle where he even named drop Grant from memory as not having any control over his own department.

Baines I’m torn on as don’t know enough about his role in all this, commercially the club is in a very good place which id guess is more what he’s there for? He probably stays for now with a very strict warning, and needs a very experienced director of football advising him.

That was Chris Maple.

"he coached a good albeit unlucky year" . You had me listening until you said that part.
Haha yeh I feel ya. He tested the tall forward line in the first two rounds, it didn’t work but I would’ve tried it.

Then he adjusted. We got to 7-3. Great great defence with so many of our issues from last year addressed. Back 6. Full ground defence.

Then he forced JOD into the lineup which was good for his development but it did hurt on field for a bit.

And our best three defenders went down and we had in game key back injuries (several multiple times) in games in the majority of games the rest of the year. Culminating in the libba injury last week.

God hated our team this year and it’s sad that the club may not have had the character to just absorb that fact.

It seems as though the supporters have lost sight of it and want blood.

Fact is our list was nowhere near good enough to cover our misfortune this year but I don’t think that’s solely Bevo’s fault.

He is running the club though and now that it’s clear we won’t win with this list due to the cliff our midfield has just hit, we may as well commit to two years at the bottom/transitioning the ground ball part of our list

Can we try and show Bev some respect here. Yes things don’t seem to be tenable now but that guy has given us some great football experiences. He clearly loves the club and deserves to be treated with respect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Most have been fine. Block those that are getting to you, it is an infinitely better place that way.

Or maybe we didnt have enough sources around that time.
The difference between then and now: we had a president with leadership and passion in 2014.

We were three years into our Brendan McCartney rebuild and regressed in 2014. The senior players weren't happy, the coaches were divided, Griffen wasn't happy being the captain and asked to leave for GWS, Brett Montgomery allegedly lead a mutiny against McCartney, Mooney was calling for the club to back the coach and dump the dissenters. Everything was a complete mess.

Up steps Peter Gordon. McCartney- sacked. Griffen wants out? Alright, **** off then. Coons- Out. Higgins wants to leave as a free agent? See ya mate. Jones and Tutt leaving for the tankers? Ciao! Montgomery wants to be senior coach? Sorry mate we're getting a fresh face.

GWS want to tap up our best player and captain who is under contract? Well **** you, we'll tap up your prized #1 pick Tom Boyd.

No matter how bad things seemed, Peter Gordon still stood strong and made all the big calls for the good of the club. I still remember all the bozos in the media shredding the club for not backing the coach, but Gordon knew better than all of them and had the last laugh.

There's more gossip in this thread than at a CWA morning tea.

"Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, our local CWA here past Ballarat is pretty brutal too, but at least they stopped crucifixions a couple of years back. I really wish they'd ditch the crown of thorns for coming last in the lamington-off though... this thing is killing me!

Can we try and show Bev some respect here. Yes things don’t seem to be tenable now but that guy has given us some great football experiences. He clearly loves the club and deserves to be treated with respect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The main reason people are becoming "disrespectful" is because on the back of winning the flag in 2016, it felt like we had the most talented core of players the club has ever had, and it's all gone to waste. Bontempelli turns 28 this year, but instead of challenging for flags, he's stuck leading what is now an absolute basket case, and the coach is refusing to step down.

As frustrated as people are with Beveridge, the vast bulk of the vitriol should still be directed towards the clowns who renewed him for an extra two years on the back of an extremely disappointing 2022 season. The writing was already on the wall, but they failed to notice the very glaring problems he has as a coach.

I will concede that we have a pretty awful list. I think Bevo is right about that.

We effectively lost both Dunkley and Macrae since our midfield was good. Idk what is wrong with Macrae but he went from being a star to an ineffective player seemingly overnight.

Both of our wings are delisted players from other clubs.

Our big recruit from last season has been a bit of a spud.

Only one kid from our last 3 drafts is having any impact at AFL level

Bruce and Keath have both been useless for the last two years

Bailey Smith is too soft to be an inside player but too unskilled to be an outside player

We play about 5 VFL plodders every week to make up the numbers

Having said all that though, I still think Bevo should go. Nine seasons is enough, surely things are stale by now. It also seems from the outside that his mental health hasn't been great since 2021 and I think for his own sake he should take a break. Take two years away from head coaching on half pay and set yourself up to coach Tassie once you've had some time off. Give the players a fresh voice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grant/Bains said "severance".

Bevo's had hair and teeth and mo done, new specs, but hearing test still outstanding.
He thought they said they were offering a "sufferance" payment, was insulted at the ageism insinuation, and rejected it.

Wait until his hearing is fixed too baby - top 4 here we come!

Grant/Bains said "severance".

Bevo's had hair and teeth and mo done, new specs, but hearing test still outstanding.
He thought they said they were offering a "sufferance" payment, was insulted at the ageism insinuation, and rejected it.

Wait until his hearing is fixed to baby - top 4 here we come!
Brilliant!, made me laugh out loud thanks.

I honestly find it hard to believe the club would create this situation by effectively showing him the door while we’re still a chance of making finals.

Even if his papers are stamped the idea that they wouldn’t just wait until the season is done seems unlikely

I honestly find it hard to believe the club would create this situation by effectively showing him the door while we’re still a chance of making finals.

Even if his papers are stamped the idea that they wouldn’t just wait until the season is done seems unlikely

Just my view but i think being as proactive as possible with finding a new coach is vital. Could be competing with the eagles shortly in the head coach hunt.

You grab any headstart you can.

The rumour is Bont went to the board saying Luke has lost the players if this true then the board must move now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back