Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

This could get ugly. I'm not sure I have more emotional capital I can invest in this club, certainly any sort of protracted trial by media, and warring internal parties.
Get what is needed done, move on those that need moving, hire/recruit replacements, and come back harder in 2024.

Please. 🙏
Club first. Everybody else second.

What about the self respect involved with getting the contract you earned honoured by the other party
Oh please, that was done with his best interests at heart, purely to take the pressure off him. Even still he hasn’t been able to repay the favour, most likely not even taking us to the finals.

He has lost the players to the extent that our saint of a Captain is having to do the dirty work to get him out, which I’m sure he does not want to have to be involved in.

That’s on him, it’s not the clubs fault he has failed time and time again to show any sort of competence that would keep this group invested in him leading.

The decent thing to do would be to come to a mutually agreed position (which he may still do of course) - which will still leave him very very well off over the next two years might I add - and let everyone move on without s**t having to hit the fan.

Earnt? * me dead, the guys been one of the most well paid people in the league over the past 7 years whilst severely underperforming in his role. You really think he deserves to be paid out an extra two years on top and potentially cripple the club and what we can do to get out of the mess he’s been key in driving us into

With the window on this playing list temporarily shut, I hope we hire our next coach as a long term thinker. Rebuild ahead of us. An external review of the footy department before this rebuild would be wise

This is rubbish. Not is our youth demographic pretty good but we should never be telling our senior core that we are going through a rebuild.

Should Damien Hardwick tell GCS management they need a rebuild just because the previous coach had them underperforming?

Yeah I doubt it. A better game plan, better team selection, better in game moves leads us to be a 3/4 win better side this season. Easily.

Oh please, that was done with his best interests at heart, purely to take the pressure off him. Even still he hasn’t been able to repay the favour, most likely not even taking us to the finals.

He has lost the players to the extent that our saint of a Captain is having to do the dirty work to get him out, which I’m sure he does not want to have to be involved in.

That’s on him, it’s not the clubs fault he has failed time and time again to show any sort of competence that would keep this group invested in him leading.

The decent thing to do would be to come to a mutually agreed position (which he may still do of course) - which will still leave him very very well off over the next two years might I add - and let everyone move on without s**t having to hit the fan.

Earnt? * me dead, the guys been one of the most well paid people in the league over the past 7 years whilst severely underperforming in his role. You really think he deserves to be paid out an extra two years on top and potentially cripple the club and what we can do to get out of the mess he’s been key in driving us into
It is the clubs fault they offered him an unnecessary 2 year extension.

What about the self respect involved with getting the contract you earned honoured by the other party

That’s how it works in pretty much every other sport. You sign a coach on a contract , it doesn’t work out , you pay out the contract . This isn’t charity work or not for profit . The AFL is a money machine and Bev has earned his share . More than most .

So if the club hasn’t protected itself with some sort of clause based around meetings with the players they’ve made a bad business decision.

That’s if you take the bf sewing circles at face value.

I respect the info of the sewing circle but certainly don’t take it at face value.

Pay the man what he’s owed. Sack the bloke who gave him the contract

That’s how it works in pretty much every other sport. You sign a coach on a contract , it doesn’t work out , you pay out the contract . This isn’t charity work or not for profit . The AFL is a money machine and Bev has earned his share . More than most .
There should be protections the club gives itself for mitigating factors. If they haven’t, they’ve made a bad deal and deserve the concecquences.

To be fair to them, they re signed a great coach and he coached a good albeit unlucky year. It’s unlikely he’s hated by the playing group, they may think it’s time for a new voice and approach though.

They’re probably wrong. The list is crap and needs a mini rebuild. Of course the players wouldn’t want to believe that

It is the clubs fault they offered him an unnecessary 2 year extension.

This 2 year extension which Bev was surprised to get is such a massive hurdle right now.

If it was not for that this would have been sorted by now.

Take a chill pill Doggies

Bains and the board are the ones at fault why should he take less if they're sacking him?

Yes he did earn it how many coaches have been more successful than him in that time? Hardwick sure Scott yes then the rest are Buckley, Simpson, Goodwin, Hinkley, Longmire and Fagan.

Take your hatred googles off for 5 minutes so you don't continually embarrass yourself

So if the club hasn’t protected itself with some sort of clause based around meetings with the players they’ve made a bad business decision.

That’s if you take the bf sewing circles at face value.

I respect the info of the sewing circle but certainly don’t take it at face value.

Pay the man what he’s owed. Sack the bloke who gave him the contract
Yes of course they should be held to account too, which hopefully they will be but it’s not what this discussion is about. Of course technically he’s entitled to the two years but I think you’ll find more often than not in this situation most self respecting people will come to mutually agreeable terms in this industry. We only have to look at Boyd in our own backyard.

I’m obviously not saying he should get nothing, but he should also note that this is on him too and do the right thing and not dig in his heels expecting us to pay him out for the next two years. The club hasn’t burnt him in anyway, they’ve actually gone above and beyond to make it work, it hasn’t so cop it on the chin & move on.

And yes of course this is just taking this info at face value, it might be off the mark and still has a while to play out either way.

I suspect when the dust settles he will do just that, I’m saying if he doesn’t though - considering everything he’s preached to us over the last decade, it would be a very very poor look.

And I’d say if he doesn’t it will also look very unfavourable to him should he be in the running for other positions…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge deserves to be paid out in full. This is an issue entirely of the clubs making.

It was the club who elected two re-sign him when they didn't have to.

It was the club that cheapened out and undermined his coaching panel, by

a) Allowing quality assistants to be poached by not paying them the market rate to stay.

b) replacing them with lower tier inexperienced assistants.

c) allegedly allowing Beveridge full reign. See above.

The people responsible for this shouldn't be using their mistakes as pretext to cheapen out again.

Rip the band aid off. Pay the man what he's contracted for. Admit your mistake. Then move on.

Anybody associated with the alleged low ball offer to Beveridge should follow him out the door soon after.

“The Hawks say they will pay less than $50,000 in the tax for exceeding the soft cap, in an arrangement with Clarkson, who will be paid about half of the amount owed in two instalments over approximately 12 months.”

Does anyone really think we owe Bev more than Hawks owed Clarko? 😂

Surrounded him with nuffies.........this mess isn't all on the coach.

He has but to be fair I think Bevo wanted the full autonomy.

Was let down by the lacklustre review last year. I think he would still be a fantastic coach with the right structures around him and think he’ll do well when he moves to a second club.

Last season was awful and we had a good opportunity to do a Richmond style, clean the place up get the right support and get back on track and they half assed it.

“The Hawks say they will pay less than $50,000 in the tax for exceeding the soft cap, in an arrangement with Clarkson, who will be paid about half of the amount owed in two instalments over approximately 12 months.”

Honestly it's anyone's guess. The guys making these exact decisions have already made seriously questionable decisions.

Bevo would be on a decent contract

Tom Boyd walked away. Bevo is willing to fulfil his contract.

Interesting when you think about players been traded or forced out when they were willing to fulfil their contract.

Stringer, Treloar, Hunter etc etc

This week will show the integrity of the man? We gave his an extension to settle him down when he was irritable at journos and the whole world really. And to see if he could change/adapt? He hasn’t necessarily used this time well. But if he does love the club as much as he says, he will not cause any grief and go with dignity and grace. If he has lost Bont, he should know his time is up. Go out a favourite son Luke, please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back