Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we start a petition for Bailey Smith to grow a handlebar moustach? Threaten to cancel our memberships if he doesn't deliver? We need to push the club to action.

Would love this appointment.

Has been a key part of very successful environment.

Leon Cameron & Stewart Dew wouldn't excite me at all.
I'm sure Justin Leppitsch, Blake Caracella, Andrew McQualter, Ben Rutten, and Craig McRae wouldn't have excited you either in 2016.

Come on that is just a completely terrible take. The players are entitles to take their leave of absence and use it to recharge and refresh. It's a gruelling sport all year round. The majority of players go on a holiday after the season has concluded.

Not to mention it's completely inaccurate. The Demons & Magpies players that are 'training right through' don't exist as a generalisation. You better tell Christian Petracca & Darcy Moore that they can't go on their European trips this year.
Bit rich to complain about about how someone spends their off-season imo. Do you work during your holidays?

If you want to be the best forward in the game or the best team in the competition these are the sacrifices you have to make. If other teams/players are doing it you will fall behind.

If I'm running a business and I want beat out the competition you have to work 60-70 hour weeks. If I'm content with just working 40hr weeks, that also means that I'm content with running a mediocre business. Right now our football club is mediocre.

I'm sure Justin Leppitsch, Blake Caracella, Andrew McQualter, Ben Rutten, and Craig McRae wouldn't have excited you either in 2016.
Hiring someone because of 'experience' is a flawed strategy.

The most important question the club must ask when considering coaching candidates is if they have demonstrated a high level of capability in their respective roles.

For example, I would rather we hire a coach who has only been in the system for 2 years but has demonstrated high ability vs a coach who has been in the system for 10years but has been average.

M

The most important question the club must ask when considering coaching candidates is if they have demonstrated a high level of capability in their respective roles.

For example, I would rather we hire a coach who has only been in the system for 2 years but has demonstrated high ability vs a coach who has been in the system for 10years but has been average.
Thst wasn’t the point of his comment.

All those names listed have shown a “high ability” anyway.

I have some theories. Consider this a bit of Bevo devils advocate.

Bevo was clearly upset that his long term assistant Rohan Smith was given the ass, Rohan has been involved in all periods of Bevos tenure which includes the successful years so Bevo trusts and rates him as an assistant (perhaps he was upset that Rohan was given the flick before any of the other assistants that he doesn’t rate as much).

Bevo, more than any other has bemoaned the cutting of the soft cap. His current contract (as in not the two years that begins next year) was signed before the heavy soft cap cuts (meaning good assistants were out of reach as we signed Bevo to a huge deal prior to any knowledge of there being a cut). He wouldn’t agree to reduce his contract - nor should he (which ties into him not accepting a severance to leave the club as he knows his worth).

When approaching the board about improving the assistance around him, they’ve denied him due to soft cap restraints.

Next year is the first year for several that we’ve been able to realistically afford the assistant coaches we really need and Bevo has deliberately stretched himself thin because he believes a thinly stretched Bevo is still a better coach than the assistants we had (Rohan Smith excepted).

The things people don’t like about Bevo (playing favourites, not playing others, quirky player movements etc) has happened since the day he walked in, when we are winning it’s a non issue.
'when we are winning it’s a non issue.'

It's always been an issue.

Was told this two weeks ago. Also been told there is another big name being courted and they wouldn't give me the name, but its big. They also said Leon isn't leaving sydney.
Screenshot_2023-08-29-14-54-30-10_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Camerons coached multiple prelim teams under Rocket, premiership teams under Clarko, experience with his own team and took them to a grand final.

Dew has played in two different premiership team environments, coached under Longmire in a successful environment including a premiership and has experience coaching his own side, albeit unsuccessfully but probably in the hardest job in football to be fair.

These two know success, they’re constantly surrounded by it. Plus they’re both the furtherest thing from Yes men and will well and truly speak up and have an input.

If we went into next year with say:

Bev
Fwd: Dew
Midfield: Lade & a younger newly retired option, ie Selwood/Cotchin etc
Defence: Cameron

That would be the closest thing as possible to a dream team panel the bulldogs will ever see.

I doubt we pull that sort of thing off because we’re usually pathetic but if we did it would be huge.

I'd be pretty happy with Dew. Coaching GC is a poisoned chalice - wouldn't judge on W/L there. I think he's a good coach.
He’s been involved in success everywhere he’s been, Gold Coast being the exception. Premierships at Port and Hawthorn, was involved at Sydney for their 2012 premiership, as well as their 2014 and 2016 grand finals.

Can give a spray too.

Dew for forward coach seems good. I hope looking at Cotchin or Shuey to work with Lade. Bruce and spangher if rumors true for development. That leaves someone for defensive coach.

I believe there are some issues with Spanger contract.

So a potential chance of him shifting roles to a development coach
Surely we didn’t give him more than a 2yr deal at the end of ‘21?

I actually don’t mind Spangher for a development role anyway tbh, usually journeymen types make the best coaches and he seems like a pretty switched on guy and good communicator. He should have been given a development role in the first place, was crazy to give him the keys to a young forward line coming off a GF appearance, but anyway.

Dew for forward coach seems good. I hope looking at Cotchin or Shuey to work with Lade. Bruce and spangher if rumors true for development. That leaves someone for defensive coach.
Barlow would be my pick for midfield coach. He has done amazing at werribee.
Heath Scotland would be my choice for backline coach, currently director of coaching at Port Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back