Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Appointments so far are solid but we can probably cut the pretence that the club already had anyone squared away at the end of the season or shortly after and was holding off on announcing it. The two signings leaked shortly after they were inked, which was only in the last week or two. Egan was clearly a pivot after getting knocked back by Leppitsch. And the big announcement has come with 3/5 coaching roles and 2 other senior Footy Dept roles still left to fill.

Could honestly say the same about every team though - I don’t have the stats in front of me but I doubt we’re that much worse off. It’s really that bad across the league.

It’s like the Naughty argument, it’s made out on here that he’s the worst kick in the league and shouldn’t even play forward. Yet he’s actually league average and from memory if he’d kicked at an elite level it would be like an extra 8 goals across the year or something similar.

Don’t get me wrong I encourage it it’s a good move it’s just surprising and I don’t actually believe we’re much worse than most teams
I can't remember where they were posted - I can have a look later - but the stats I'm referring to are league rankings. If I recall correctly our expected vs final ladder position is far more discrepant than other teams, and this is supported by having a high ranking in conversion to inside 50s but a low ranking in conversion to goals.

Appointments so far are solid but we can probably cut the pretence that the club already had anyone squared away at the end of the season or shortly after and was holding off on announcing it. The two signings leaked shortly after they were inked, which was only in the last week or two. Egan was clearly a pivot after getting knocked back by Leppitsch. And the big announcement has come with 3/5 coaching roles and 2 other senior Footy Dept roles still left to fill.
I don't agree with this.

I received my email to renew my membership last week, I assume a lot of people did. Is it possible that they received a lot of feedback on the back of that, and knew they had to speed up the announcements a little quicker? Seems plausible to me.

I don't agree with this.

I received my email to renew my membership last week, I assume a lot of people did. Is it possible that they received a lot of feedback on the back of that, and knew they had to speed up the announcements a little quicker? Seems plausible to me.

Appeasing supporters might explain pushing out an announcement with a majority of roles unfilled. Not an answer to anything else I said though.

Well we have something of substance at last - I'm not going to sweat the club's PR side of it at this stage. Let's just be grateful we at last have some new coaches with reasonable credentials. And let's back them in to do a good job with the side in 2024.

I'm still sceptical about Bevo (2023 model), but since we have him for at least 2024 (and contracted for 2025) let's hope he can re-invent or at least rejuvenate himself. Perhaps with a nudge or two from Egan and co.

Bevo (2015-16 model) was one of the best in the comp and I'd welcome back anything approaching that edition.

I’m thinking that Egan will be a Tom Hagen to Bev’s Michael Corleone .

Surely Spangher doesn’t coach blokes to jump on each other’s heads ? But since that’s what they do , maybe he does .

I’d like to see less of that . Where’s the members survey ?
I read this as Tom Hafey for a moment.

Well we have something of substance at last - I'm not going to sweat the club's PR side of it at this stage. Let's just be grateful we at last have some new coaches with reasonable credentials. And let's back them in to do a good job with the side in 2024.

I'm still sceptical about Bevo (2023 model), but since we have him for at least 2024 (and contracted for 2025) let's hope he can re-invent or at least rejuvenate himself. Perhaps with a nudge or two from Egan and co.

Bevo (2015-16 model) was one of the best in the comp and I'd welcome back anything approaching that edition.
I still would of liked one more senior coach , either as forwards coach or reviewing opposition.

Slow, methodical and indifferent to outside noise. The way that processes this important are supposed to work.
Exactly Norm. That is how businesses undertake their strategic activity and don’t broadcast to the world until they have their outcomes in the bag. Well done Ameet and Granty.

Now I look forward to reading all the apologies over the weekend from all those who stupidly posted uneducated negative posts on here questioning the professionalism of the club.

I’ve been very critical of the club recently but I have to say it’s been a very promising off season. Well as promising as it gets with keeping Bevo on.

Hopefully we hire 3-4 more good coaches as Ameet says. I don’t see why we shouldn’t be contending next year. I’ve at least got my hopes up which I thought was impossible after this season

1602647675709_65924261b1f183e944b70b2109101bbc.jpeg
Saw a photo of Tory just today. Living the good life at the races🥂 😉
He always said he never had a particular technique so couldn’t teach anyone else.

I don't want to p1ss on anyone's parade, but we haven't addressed the single biggest issue - Beveridge is tactically inept, is Egan taking over game day tactics?

Tactically inept coach takes team to 2 Grand Finals and 1 Premiership.

Of all the crap that gets posted on BF, I reckon the stuff around Bevo being poor tactically is top of the list. Clear air 2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to see what Egan and Pratt can offer. Not stoked but certainly not dismayed with either selection.

Not happy Spangher goes again.

What did Lade do last year? Is he taking over mids this year?

Tactically inept coach takes team to 2 Grand Finals and 1 Premiership.

Of all the crap that gets posted on BF, I reckon the stuff around Bevo being poor tactically is top of the list. Clear air 2nd.
Charlie, we would have made finals with you in the box. You have to acknowledge in 2023 he was totally inept on match day. In 16 and 21 the support staff made a big difference, especially 16 when we had strong minded assistants.

I’ve been very critical of the club recently but I have to say it’s been a very promising off season. Well as promising as it gets with keeping Bevo on.

Hopefully we hire 3-4 more good coaches as Ameet says. I don’t see why we shouldn’t be contending next year. I’ve at least got my hopes up which I thought was impossible after this season
It has been the most promising season since the last "most promising season" which we all thought was last season.

What pretence and how could we have anybody squared away though?

A case could perhaps be made for Andrew McQualter. But he went pretty quickly from Richmond and into the arms of Melbourne. So he was probably never a realistic candidate beyond this places fever dreams.

Leppitsch may indeed have been the number 1 target. And good on the club for reaching for the best possible candidate even if it's a long shot. It was pretty bold move for a club as myopically insular as ours. What we'll never know is how far negotiations went back and whether he used us as a stalking horse (he did) to get what in effect seems to be the same position at Collingwood. Never mind that any pursuit of Leppitsch was always going to be complicated by the fact that Collingwood were still in contention until they ultimately won the premiership a mere 3 weeks ago.

It's only natural that we pivoted to next target who appears to have been Egan. Another guy who had a senior list management/development job who would've needed to wait for the trade period to be completed before he was clear to accept the new gig with us.

As Ive said many times all of the recent coaching related leaks have clearly come at times of the clubs choosing. The Leppitsch one felt like it was a signal for him to s**t or get off the pot. He took the Collingwood promotion 3 days later. The Eagan and Pratt ones were when the deals had obviously been squared away.

Baines was clearly signalling in today's message that all of the final appointments to the coaching and physiology panels were on the cusp of being filled. If they haven been already. Id bet almost anything that the club will make an announcement on them or strategically leak the details over the coming week or so as the playing group returns for the pre-season.

They always break news of this sort into chunks and spread them out as digestible content.

I’ll give Spangher one more chance. If I see Cody fly for a hanger over the big forwards once though I’m done.

How is this a coaching issue?

Weightman is a CHF in a flankers body. His instinct has and always will be one where he flys at every ball.

It'd be a tragedy to peg him to the ground.

The obsession with Matt Spangher in here borders on the obsessively weird.

If you want an answer to the disfunction of our forward line look at the midfield and at the two most senior coaches who control it. Luke Beveridge and Brendan Lade.

Weightman is a CHF in a flankers body. His instinct has and always will be one where he flys at every ball.

It'd be a tragedy to peg him to the ground.

Weightman is a fantastic part of our team, and one thing he brings is his flair. It's damn good for morale when he sits on Max Gawn's head and takes a hanger once in a while. He's a big personality with his own play style, and if we want someone who's a pure ground level player, we get someone who's a pure ground level player rather than trying to dull his particular shine.

With the exception of a couple of folks in here, nobody has a f’ing clue what does and doesn’t go on at the club. And you know what, that’s ok!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Correct.

So many posts being shared and passed off as fact when the posters have actually got no idea what they’re talking about.

And then suckers drink it in like cool aid and regurgitate it at a later date.

Repeat until it becomes gospel.

Weightman is a fantastic part of our team, and one thing he brings is his flair. It's damn good for morale when he sits on Max Gawn's head and takes a hanger once in a while. He's a big personality with his own play style, and if we want someone who's a pure ground level player, we get someone who's a pure ground level player rather than trying to dull his particular shine.
I think he will change naturally anyway as he continues to gain experience. The good news is he already has an elite floor of over 1.5 goals a game so I'm not too worried.

It's when you want them to change to become elite you would have more concerns.

Last edited:
I’d actually like Matthew Lloyd as a part time goalkicking/key forward assistant. He had an excellent routine, is experienced in coaching, another person from outside the club and could be great for Naughton/JUH/Darcy/Croft. Might help us get some positive mentions in the media too
The Velvet Sledgehammer, love it.

In all honesty he seems to make reasonable suggestions and analysis and understands that mental focus is a big part of it as well. Maybe its only a 5% difference for a few players, but that's a multiplier when you consider tight matches, finals pressure, percentage, team morale etc.

Watched Lloyd's Max King analysis great stuff and I reckon he'd be the first to walk away back to media commitments if it wasn't working out or the players were not paying attention or lip service. Naughton and JUH need work no doubt, the bare minimum you can accept is 60% and both have been on or below that for three and two seasons respectively.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back