Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the calls that it would be great if the goal kicking coach could double as a key forward coach for our young talls.

I wonder what Jack Riewoldt is up to? Surely he’d be interested in a 2 day a week cushy job to help develop JUH, Naughton & Darcy.

I agree with the calls that it would be great if the goal kicking coach could double as a key forward coach for our young talls.

I wonder what Jack Riewoldt is up to? Surely he’d be interested in a 2 day a week cushy job to help develop JUH, Naughton & Darcy.

He was quietly sneaking into a Fox Footy role at the end of his playing career so I imagine he has a job lined up doing media work. Doubt he's interested in full time coaching straight away, so maybe he could be interested in some part time coaching

Pretty sure Jack is joining Hardwick at the Suns.

Inaugural board member of the Tasmanian Football Club. He has is hands full throwing models of Hobart Stadiums on the ground that need to be at least three times bigger and putting Tassie football back together for their entry to the comp.

Not sure how long Pendlebury has at Collingwood playing, but would definitely be in his eat about a development / tactics coach at bulldogs. Watched a couple of his games and noticed his on field coaching especially in the close pies win against Crows, and about getting through the Crows defensive setup.

I am quite bullish about the future of the club.
It's true that our performances at the end of this season were pretty fowl. The game against the Eagles we played like headless chooks but I sense the club has got the whips out since then.
Look Bevo understands that the steaks are high next year and Bains has made it clear another butchered year and he's on the chopping block. There has been a bit of a beef between Bains and Granty as well.
Granty was not amoosed with what was said to him but will take it on for the udder good of the club.
The three of them are now mooving in the same direction and new assistants are now being named. This doesn't sound like a slaughter house to me.
Anyway that's my gospel and that's no bull.

And you know this how exactly?

The Vibe? Marbo? The Constitution?
But you have to admit that we would have made finals with you in the box instead of Bevo. Maybe you would have played a defensive forward on Stewart or Taylor or decided to lock down on Rowell, Newcombe, Daiscos, kelly or co. What did Fly do against Lions in the GF. Of course he did not tag Neale and he would not play a defensive forward on Andrews.

Bevo’s match day coaching in 2023 was absolutely incompetence at a level never seen in my life time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right as always, Spangler and webb are far more accomplished than Hansen and King, Corey, Gia and so on. Both have a great player and coaching resume.

At least you make me 😂

Bevo’s tactically inept because previous assistants are more accomplished than some of our current ones?

That’s some seriously deep analysis from you MD.

But you have to admit that we would have made finals with you in the box instead of Bevo. Maybe you would have played a defensive forward on Stewart or Taylor or decided to lock down on Rowell, Newcombe, Daiscos, kelly or co. What did Fly do against Lions in the GF. Of course he did not tag Neale and he would not play a defensive forward on Andrews.

Bevo’s match day coaching in 2023 was absolutely incompetence at a level never seen in my life time.

Tagging opposition players? Interesting.

Never heard of that before. I wonder if Beveridge has.

You should send an email to the club outlining this new tactic. Hopefully we implement next season and we win the flag.

How is this a coaching issue?

Weightman is a CHF in a flankers body. His instinct has and always will be one where he flys at every ball.

It'd be a tragedy to peg him to the ground.

The obsession with Matt Spangher in here borders on the obsessively weird.

If you want an answer to the disfunction of our forward line look at the midfield and at the two most senior coaches who control it. Luke Beveridge and Brendan Lade.
It’s a coaching issue when your small and medium forwards are crashing packs and bringing another defender to the contest when Jamarra, Naughton and Lobb are already flying for a grab.

All I’m asking for is some balance. Go for your life and sit on Gawn’s head when you’re one out on the wing but mix it up inside the forward 50.

Weightman is a fantastic part of our team, and one thing he brings is his flair. It's damn good for morale when he sits on Max Gawn's head and takes a hanger once in a while. He's a big personality with his own play style, and if we want someone who's a pure ground level player, we get someone who's a pure ground level player rather than trying to dull his particular shine.
Again no one is asking him to be an old school pressure forward who lives off scraps, but it is a part of his game that needs improving. The thing is he can do it, in 2021 he was great at applying pressure in our forward line, smothers etc…

Also Morris moved to QLD for a lifestyle change with his family. That’s where he wants to live.
I’m talking about when he was at the Bulldogs. I’m sure he moved from coaching to an admin role for a short time. Maybe they were trying to put off having to sack him during covid. He moved to Queensland at the end of 2021, appointed to the Lions this year.

It’s a coaching issue when your small and medium forwards are crashing packs and bringing another defender to the contest when Jamarra, Naughton and Lobb are already flying for a grab.

All I’m asking for is some balance. Go for your life and sit on Gawn’s head when you’re one out on the wing but mix it up inside the forward 50.

Again no one is asking him to be an old school pressure forward who lives off scraps, but it is a part of his game that needs improving. The thing is he can do it, in 2021 he was great at applying pressure in our forward line, smothers etc…
Agree with this.

I'd add it is a coaching thing to play 3 talls plus Weightman and Hannan in the same forward line. The mix was often completely wrong

It’s pretty clear Bevo is at least currently tactically inept & out of touch with current footy landscape. Some of our decision making is just mindboggling.

Results speak for themselves, the question is not whether he is currently tactically inept - he just is - it’s whether we can get the support in he requires (as any coach does), & he recognises & acknowledges that support, and he can do what we he does best and galvanise a group of young men

His finger is way off the pulse, we know he can do it although he hasn’t had any innovative success stories for 8 years so it’s iffy. More than likely he’s not our coach in 2025 but at least the club seems to be recognising what needs to be done.

I hope we turn things around in a big way, the quality is obvious in the list but I suspect we’ll waste another season. Anything less than top 4 and I’d be showing this angry midget the door so bloody quickly

Tactically inept coach takes team to 2 Grand Finals and 1 Premiership.

Of all the crap that gets posted on BF, I reckon the stuff around Bevo being poor tactically is top of the list. Clear air 2nd.
Geez he is a tactical genius when teams belt out 5+ consecutive goals against us every week. Geez he showed is prowess against arguably be the worst side in 50 years this season. Time to stop drinking his bath water and realise we ain’t going anywhere with him

It is a bit hard to say that Bevo is a tactical genius with the moving back 5m from the mark.....

When the mark is at the 50 - 55m range...

and the opposition kicks a goal and we lose a close match as a result.....

C'mon. Do you honestly believe that he or any other player is instructed to do that?

You can't have it both ways.

Our forward efficiency issues stem from our treacle like ball movement further up the ground that telegraphs exactly where the ball is going. An arc 35-40 metres out or on top of Aaron Naughtons head. The latter invariably bringing players to this one spot on the ground like flies to s**t.

Is he though? Id argue that Aaron Naughton is at least as effective(even in 2021) if not better at applying forward pressure than Weightman is.

Weightman is and always will be an instinct player who plays above his height and is most effective taking contested marks and slotting goals.

You're correct. It is a part of his game that needs improving.

There is a wider discussion to be had as to how effective it is going into games with what in reality is 4 marking forwards. And the knock on issues that this brings when it comes to retaining the ball i50. Neither Lobb nor JUH are great exponents of forward pressure. Weightman can pick and choose when he wants to do it. This leaves a lot of the burden on Naighton to work himself into the ground which invariably flows onto his kicking efficiency.

Then there are the rotational bits and pieces that are shuffled through the forward half. Jones looks good flashing about applying pressure, but the reality is that he can neither sustain it for extended periods or find the ball when he's not doing it. But playing him until he got a 0 possession game shows how big the actual issue is.

These are all issues that need to be addressed further up the coaching line than Matt Spanghers.

Can any of the rapid rise that we saw in JUH this year with his improved positioning and forward craft be attributed to Spanghers work with him. Or did it come about through sheer natural talent and in spite of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back