Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our preseason carry on has basically tied a noose around Bevo now to be honest. “This will be the fittest, strongest, most prepared team in all my years to come out round one against Melbourne”, the Sanders comment, the ******* video we uploaded the day before. The fact we did and said all this publicly, and then came out like that?

Yeah it doesn’t bode well - sounds like he threw absolutely everything at this one and came up short. Just embarrassing - we probably should have tempered expectations around a lot of change at the club and getting things right…. But we didn’t
100% this, and is a strong contributor to the collective angst felt amongst supporters. He effectively set a stake in the ground and it failed. There's almost no coming back from it.

Can barely remember walking out of a ground so furious about the result. At least the West Coast game gave a sense of relief given the chance of change on the horizon, right now it just feels hopeless. Time will tell whether round 1 was an abberation from the team's 2024 ability (unlikely).

Having finally watched both the end game presser and brief it almost sounds like even Bevo doesn’t know where to take this team and what to do anymore.

I feel if we get another 2-3 losses like that he might step aside himself, maybe he’ll finally realise like Dimma did that there’s only so many ways you can cook a hotdog.

It’s just a repeat of the last two years, where Bev sounded totally bereft after we came out looking terrible in the first two games. But we have the talent to win 10 games against average to poor sides every year no matter how we play, so if that’s a pass mark he’ll probably get there again.

Having finally watched both the end game presser and brief it almost sounds like even Bevo doesn’t know where to take this team and what to do anymore.

I feel if we get another 2-3 losses like that he might step aside himself, maybe he’ll finally realise like Dimma did that there’s only so many ways you can cook a hotdog.
Stepping aside at the appropriate time would be wise for Bevo. He is highly likely to secure a good senior coach gig sooner or later.
Hanging on for grim death would tarnish his reputation in the industry.
Everyone has their use-by date.

Guys, guys. News.

The club just called me to enter a $250 raffle to sit with the coaches during one of our games this season and talk tactics (not even kidding, this is what they told me).

I actually *in ponied up the money, so, no one else enter so I can win and sit with the coaches and tell them how to actually play a game properly.

Thanks lads.

Guys, guys. News.

The club just called me to enter a $250 raffle to sit with the coaches during one of our games this season and talk tactics (not even kidding, this is what they told me).

I actually *in ponied up the money, so, no one else enter so I can win and sit with the coaches and tell them how to actually play a game properly.

Thanks lads.
Jesus these lawsuits are really hitting hard, interesting way to get some unpaid, new ideas in the coaching box 😳

One thing that I don’t understand, and perhaps there is a genuine excuse given it was round 1, is our fitness levels.

How many years have we had new recruits come in and mention in interviews that our pre season running is vastly different to that of their former club. Dunkley even suggested we don’t do much running it all.

Now we have a new fitness staff member from GWS, who were a fit side, but it was like nothing changed yesterday. Who at the club is consistently insisting we do this different pre season running program to that of the other 17 clubs in the league is seems?! Really need to address this
The AFL tracker had us running collectively 4Km less than Melbourne over the whole game. That equates to around 173metres less per player than Melbourne during the game.

This suggests it’s not how much running we did, it’s more to do with when and where. That’s on the coaching. All the players have gps trackers don’t they? It’s amazing how slow and uninterested players look in a loss.

For me, if we do the same crap this Sunday, we’re done.

It’s just a repeat of the last two years, where Bev sounded totally bereft after we came out looking terrible in the first two games. But we have the talent to win 10 games against average to poor sides every year no matter how we play, so if that’s a pass mark he’ll probably get there again.

I hesitate to say this as we've been burned before, but I can't possibly imagine that missing finals again after the mediocre performances of the past two seasons is anywhere near a pass mark.

If he's still coaching next year after a failure of a season this year the whole board and senior administration should be resigning.

The AFL tracker had us running collectively 4Km less than Melbourne over the whole game. That equates to around 173metres less per player than Melbourne during the game.

This suggests it’s not how much running we did, it’s more to do with when and where. That’s on the coaching. All the players have gps trackers don’t they? It’s amazing how slow and uninterested players look in a loss.

For me, if we do the same crap this Sunday, we’re done.
What's the average distance run by a player (or the total distance for the side)?

If the average is say 10km per player that's only about 1.7% difference.

Not saying it's insignificant, just trying to get a handle on how it stacks up.

What's the average distance run by a player (or the total distance for the side)?

If the average is say 10km per player that's only about 1.7% difference.

Not saying it's insignificant, just trying to get a handle on how it stacks up.
According to the afl app we ran 280km, Melbourne 284. High speed, 38km to 37km their way. Repeat sprints 0 for them, 10 for us.

I can’t say I am an expert in what all this means. I do know that last season we regularly clocked less km per game than our opponents. Nearly every game.

According to the afl app we ran 280km, Melbourne 284. High speed, 38km to 37km their way. Repeat sprints 0 for them, 10 for us.

I can’t say I am an expert in what all this means. I do know that last season we regularly clocked less km per game than our opponents. Nearly every game.
Thanks.

So that's 1.4% less in total distance and 0.25% less in high speed distance.

The repeat sprints looks particularly damning, but like you I can't claim much expertise in this so I'd be interested in the views of those who can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin appeared much more confident and excited to be playing on Sunday than what Bev was . Listened to them both pre match. Bev said something like "WE are ready, but wary of what Round 1 can bring. " None of that from Goodwin, all positive. Wondering whether his messages have just worn thin with the players and it is just hard work for him with no joy in the job.

Goodwin appeared much more confident and excited to be playing on Sunday than what Bev was . Listened to them both pre match. Bev said something like "WE are ready, but wary of what Round 1 can bring. " None of that from Goodwin, all positive. Wondering whether his messages have just worn thin with the players and it is just hard work for him with no joy in the job.
Sounds a bit trepid doesn't it?

Chris Scott similar - circled their bunnies on the calendar

You forgot the 2 in 20. To sum it up, our entire team only had 1 more than Billings and Langdon
I did thank you. I should know better than to post on here while pretending to work. Tend to rush and get my worms wrong.

100% this, and is a strong contributor to the collective angst felt amongst supporters. He effectively set a stake in the ground and it failed. There's almost no coming back from it.

Can barely remember walking out of a ground so furious about the result. At least the West Coast game gave a sense of relief given the chance of change on the horizon, right now it just feels hopeless. Time will tell whether round 1 was an abberation from the team's 2024 ability (unlikely).

The 21 GF was the straw that broke the camels back for me when it comes to Bevo. The results have been mediocre since. How you can piss away a game like that after being in front to get smashed in 1.5 quarters of footy is beyond belief

The 21 GF was the straw that broke the camels back for me when it comes to Bevo. The results have been mediocre since. How you can piss away a game like that after being in front to get smashed in 1.5 quarters of footy is beyond belief
Spot on. For God's sake, the focus of the club from that point should have been to develop a side that was bloody hard to score against. And yet, we haven't addressed this at all!

We saw the warning signs in the practice match against Hawthorn. I am sick of seeing the opposition score repeated goals against us with ease.

By having three senior players become cooked all at once (Keath, Martin and Wood).

Having your best forward who has pretty much carried the forward line out (Bruce).

A few players who we’ve always known have soft spots have shocking moments (Dale and Williams).

Leaving English who is the worst culprit of the above sentence to play on Gawn and Jackson. Also somehow managed to kick it into Petty on the mark.

If Bont and Treloar didn’t play like Lisan Al Gaib for most of the game we probably would have beaten Port Adelaide’s losing margin.

(I also haven’t mentioned how taxing it would’ve been travelling all over the country).

Last edited:
It’s easy to forget that the current rot sort of started when we pissed away top 4 with some crap football against Hawthorn, Essendon and Port before the 21 finals (eerily similar to what we did against last year). Bev still blames Bruce’s injury for the group going to s**t mentally (see his recent interview where he discusses the ‘never top 4’ issue), even though Bruce only did his knee at the end of the Essendon loss, a game he rested players for. But it’s his job to get them focused despite things like feeling sad for their teammate. The thing in that interview about blaming injuries for our form fluctuations over the years and in-game injuries for losses was a big red flag for me, said it at the time.

The team and their inability to gut it out in games now is a reflection of Bev, most of them have only known him as a coach. It’s not that we’ve had 60+ players over the last three years that were all to a man inherently soft. That’s nonsense. Their performance is a product of their environment.

Last edited:
Could an Oscar-less Weagles be the finisher of Bevs career?

I’d put a few bucks on it if I could, 0-3 start with a loss to the Weagles would surely seal the deal. Feel like there’s a few protesters in the group trying to get this over and done as quick as possible.

It’s so obvious Bevo has lost the players. How can the board not see it?

I couldn't bring myself to watch the replay to find it, but there is a moment in the game that has stuck with me since seeing it. After Melbourne took charge of the match the camera switched to Bevo in the coaches box. He had a look on his face of a guy completely out of ideas. No gesturing toward the ground. No discussion within his staff. No anger. No yanking at the phone to berate a player on the bench. No nothing. Just a guy with a blank look on his face as he passively watched on knowing that the rabbit that he could've once pulled from his hat had ****ed off because unlike the magician trying to pull one last trick the rabbit knows when its all over.

Sadly it wasn't a new experience because we saw much the same when the camera crossed to him last season.

Last edited:
Sad to say.. but part of me is really hoping we lose the next 3 or 4 games!
I think it’s the only possible way that the drastic changes so desperately required will actually take place?
And the sooner the better before we mentally break or alienate the solid list we have…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back