Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bevo also has to be held accountable for our imbalanced list profile:

We have no quality young defenders (and yet Lewis Young is running around at Carlton). Our best and only A-grade defender is 35.

Midfield: we have a serious lack of young quality midfielders and yet Josh Dunkley and Patrick Lipinski are thriving elsewhere.
Sometimes people choose to go elsewhere.
Sometimes people get injured. Bailey Smith’s absence is being keenly felt at the moment.
Sometimes players take longer to develop than anticipated and sometimes they don’t develop at all.

Our list isn’t perfect but it is far from something disastrous that people need to be held accountable for.

Just read on the thread for this weeks game our running numbers are still s**t v oppo.

We got that new bloke from gws so is it safe to assume the players aren’t hard enough during the games?

Sometimes people choose to go elsewhere.
Sometimes people get injured. Bailey Smith’s absence is being keenly felt at the moment.
Sometimes players take longer to develop than anticipated and sometimes they don’t develop at all.

Our list isn’t perfect but it is far from something disastrous that people need to be held accountable for.
Josh Dunkley and Lipinski being let go whilst the likes of Vandermeer and Harmes are running around is an absolute failure of list management

Just read on the thread for this weeks game our running numbers are still s**t v oppo.

We got that new bloke from gws so is it safe to assume the players aren’t hard enough during the games?

How much fitness can change in one pre season? Both probably right that the players could be doing more.

I can’t believe I’m saying it but Kane Cornes is 100% on the money about us, and he has been for a while. Was the first to catch on before anyone other than bulldogs fans was realising what a shambles we are. And I ******* hate Kane Cornes - but fair play to him, and if he’s the one who has to put the pressure on us to actually make a change, then so be it. Onya Kane

Dogs wouldn’t be utilising them properly anyway given a lot of players we do have are played all over the place.
Dunkley’s performance in Brownlow voting suggests we were getting significantly more out of him than Brisbane.

He was always going to leave for money, even though in the long term I think he would have been better off financially staying with us. Bad influences around him likely didn’t help, but he clearly has mercenary tendencies.

Think he might be missing us even more than we miss him.

I can’t believe I’m saying it but Kane Cornes is 100% on the money about us, and he has been for a while. Was the first to catch on before anyone other than bulldogs fans was realising what a shambles we are. And I ******* hate Kane Cornes - but fair play to him, and if he’s the one who has to put the pressure on us to actually make a change, then so be it. Onya Kane
Congratulating someone for actively undermining our club over an extended period to pursue his personal agenda against our coach. ‘That’s a bold strategy’.

Another thing to consider is someone like Tim English.

All those years and games that McCartney invested into Roughead. CHB, CHF, ruck. So many knockers at the time. And yet, in our premiership year, all that accumulated experienced culminated in a very solid contribution as our main ruck in our flag run. Subbed off in the prelim, eye a 50/50 but was desperate to play and have an impact. And he did with that mark that sealed the game. It all came down to that.

Tim English 2 years from now. Gawn isn't the player he once was. They look tired Melbourne. Tim's been through the wringer but has hung in there. Over the intervening couple of years he's put on a little beef. Worked on his core strength. And there's a shiny new midfield burst player with skill and speed who can kick off either foot. JUH and Naughts have worked out their spacing, Darcy is a gun in the ruck and forward and back, Weightman doesn't jump on his own guys heads anymore and they are loving the service they get. They can lead to space knowing that this guy or Bont will hit them up. And the Bont is still here!! (class is class) and Libba's on his nth extension. He and Macrae split the duties beautifully. Cunning as old foxes. Sanders has come on after a reality check in his first season. And whoda thunk that Freijah at pick 40 something would be that good. Or that Buss would still be here.

It's 5 years since we were here and 10 years since we won but we're here again. Bevo left us in a good place.

As Bart said when asked about what he saw in So You Think at the yearling sales that no one else could see. You're not buying what they look like today, you're buying what they look like in 2 years time. By that logic, Sanders has some time. He's not quick but has other qualities (presumably). We still need the quick and skilled. That's what we have to buy at the sales this year for 2 years time.

Last edited:
Not if we signal to the players that Bevo is not there next year.

I think Bevo himself all but signalled that in his presser.

And then it becomes, every game this year, you, the players, are rehearsing for list management decisions that are yet to be made at the end of this year and the next coach. If you want a career post me (Bevo), how about you pull your collective fingers out of your collective arses now.

In an interesting way, it potentially puts Bevo in a position of strength, and the club. Forget about me (Bevo), my future is sealed. But yours? Yours is up in the air. If you get an opportunity, you should take it. You should really take it. Prove that you are a good team mate, not a flake, will go when it's hard and coachable. Just sayin .... My responsibilty is to ensure that the club is in a good place beyond my tenure, which is up pretty soon. Part of that responsibility is to assess whether you're any good or not so the next guy isn't screwed. So I'm gonna let him see you. How you are then seen....is up to you. You're either something to work with or you're outta here .. like me.

How do ya like them apples. Personal accountability. Get used to it.

Whadda we want
Players who'll bust their arses to help their team mates like Libba and Bont
When do we want it
Now
Whadda we want....
There was a cartoon once that had two retailers talking. One says "How did your Closing Down sale go?"
The other says "Great! It was so successful we're staying in business."

If your scenario above holds true I can see Bevo saying "My farewell season turned into such a success that I've been extended for another two years."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a cartoon once that had two retailers talking. One says "How did your Closing Down sale go?"
The other says "Great! It was so successful we're staying in business."

If your scenario above holds true I can see Bevo saying "My farewell season turned into such a success that I've been extended for another two years."
Unlike many here, I don't believe that Bevo is that person. I believe him when he says that he is a custodian and will do what is best for the club and that that will be to leave at the end of the year. He may not have believed that last year was the best time from the club's point of view for him to leave. Too many unanswered list questions perhaps.

What happens between now and then is the interesting part. I think he will want to set things up for the next person whether he gets any credit for it or not. Some people are like that. The best people I've worked with "over the journey" are like that.

It's a belief and not a fact for anyone who might be wondering. Time and history will judge.

Unlike many here, I don't believe that Bevo is that person. I believe him when he says that he is a custodian and will do what is best for the club and that that will be to leave at the end of the year. He may not have believed that last year was the best time from the club's point of view for him to leave. Too many unanswered list questions perhaps.

What happens between now and then is the interesting part. I think he will want to set things up for the next person whether he gets any credit for it or not. Some people are like that. The best people I've worked with "over the journey" are like that.

It's a belief and not a fact for anyone who might be wondering. Time and history will judge.
What are you doing on this board saying "it's a belief and not a F.A.C.T."?

That's not how you pummel people into submission.

Get outta here!

Suddenly we've arrived back where we spent most of the 90s and 00s.

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

That’s been the case under Bevo particular in sprints - we don’t rack up good numbers in sprint efforts

It’s like his game plan is not to run too hard to conserve energy

I think Bevo also has to be held accountable for our imbalanced list profile:

We have no quality young defenders (and yet Lewis Young is running around at Carlton). Our best and only A-grade defender is 35.

Midfield: we have a serious lack of young quality midfielders and yet Josh Dunkley and Patrick Lipinski are thriving elsewhere.
Lewis Young is not “running around” at Carlton, their whole supporter base is united against him for the exact same reasons we got sick of him.

The persistent belief by many this board that English isn't an excellent and highly valuable player (let alone a poor player, which many try to claim) remains ever strange to me.
He’s clearly very skilled especially for someone his size, but I don’t believe he’s valuable. I think his stats are empty calories.

Someone on here described him as the equivalent of a defender who takes intercept marks for fun but gives up 6 goals to his direct opponent which is a pretty apt description in my opinion

Last edited:
Josh Dunkley and Lipinski being let go whilst the likes of Vandermeer and Harmes are running around is an absolute failure of list management
To be fair we tried to keep Dunkley twice and succeeded once. Don’t think anyone can begrudge Lipinski based on circumstances at the time for both parties

Thanks Kane. Have a nice day.

I think one thing to remember, or at least bear in mind, is that dynasties are generally the preserve of big clubs. All of Geelong, Hawks, Richmond and Brisbane are bigger clubs than us, and 2 of them call the MCG home. The destination factor of some of those plus Pies and Carlton will affect us in some way in terms of recruitment.

So I put it to y'all, that if we can pop up with a flag every 10 years or so we are over achieving (and tbh I'm Ok with that - I want to neither win nor lose all the time). Forget the past, in the current environment, a flag every 10 years is over achieving. We won one 8 years ago. If our list management arm can work some magic in the next year or 2 to maximise what we have left of Bont and our tall forward stocks, then I don't think we can be unhappy.

So in respect of Bevo, if he can expose what needs to be exposed for success beyond this year in the time that he has left, then our gratitude should be not only for what he did in 2016, but what he left for the incoming coach.

We're missing a couple of pieces and we need a new voice. But how will we view Bevo in a couple of years if we snag another one in 2026?

I think he's misunderstood to a degree. I think he'll cop whatever is coming his way but he will do what he thinks is in the best interests of a) the players who give a damn and b) his successor.

I rather think that we'll look back on him fondly regardless of where we finish this year and that it won't be all/only about 2016.
Well said...I think this is a good take on the way Bevo will be viewed in the future and also on what he will do until he leaves. Bevo will in no way sacrifice the future of the list or club for his own ends, nor will he be anything but a beloved figure at the club and by the vast majority of Bulldogs fans.

I've made no secret that I believe his time was up a couple of years ago and think he should graciously step down at the end of this season. Nevertheless, I also consider him a truly great coach and be forever thankful for allowing me to see the Premiership in my lifetime, which I never thought would happen.

I hope that Bevo's exit, whenever that may be, accords him the respect and admiration that he most richly deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back