Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

There may be a financial incentive for this to be the preferred scenario.

I'm expecting Bevo to coach out the year then part ways before the 31 October coaching appointments deadline.
If Bevo intends to leave the Bulldogs and wants to coach somewhere next year, he needs to follow the Hardwick template - resign in late May or June so that all teams who may think about a coaching change can consider what to do and make overtures to Bevo if they are interested.

It’s not about 3 -5 record it’s based on much more like giving a coach an extension which even surprised him.

Doing a review with a feather duster etc etc
Yes, but it's not to say that either of those things have failed. We're not stuck at the bottom of the ladder, yet people are acting like we are.

Say what you want about Bevo the coach, and I’ve had my say, but far out he’s an impressive man. The way he’s handling the heat this week is admirable. Reminds me how lucky we’ve been to have such a great figurehead for so long. I really hope he fights through it and proves me and many others wrong, even if I have my doubts.

I’m backing him to turn it around

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, but it's not to say that either of those things have failed. We're not stuck at the bottom of the ladder, yet people are acting like we are.

We should be saying why are we not at the top of the ladder not justifying the board because we are not at the bottom

I don’t trust this board and have no faith in them to make good football decisions. We need to have strong football people in there

If Bevo intends to leave the Bulldogs and wants to coach somewhere next year, he needs to follow the Hardwick template - resign in late May or June so that all teams who may think about a coaching change can consider what to do and make overtures to Bevo if they are interested.
I don't see that with Bevo. I see more of a been there done that what's next.

Based on nothing more than hunch, I suspect this will be the one and only senior coaching gig that Bevo ever has.

Based on nothing more than hunch, I suspect this will be the one and only senior coaching gig that Bevo ever has.
I agree, I think he would go into something like a director of football or general manager role next.

I agree with you - I don't think Bevo will take the Hardwick route. I was just saying that if he wants another gig soon, he needs to step down before the season ends. I think he will coach us next year, though. He'll see his contract out in my view. Hope I'm wrong.

He has coached longer than he intended to based on a few interviews I recall early in his tenure.

He has coached longer than he intended to based on a few interviews I recall early in his tenure.
Yes he has. I recall those instances as well. Perhaps he enjoyed it more than he anticipated he would. It all comes to an end eventually though. Personally, I'd be surprised if he went again and I think this year sees him out regardless of result.

But I'm only guessing.

FWIW, I think he's handled the media scrutiny pretty well. Regardless of what many think of Bevo, I find the assault on him by the likes of Kornes & co with their personal agenda's and grievances hidden behind the facade of "footy journalism" repugnant many leagues beyond anything Bevo may or may not be guilty of.

This whole Bevo is great with families and connections gives me vibes of what was often said in my workplace about some people...

"Top bloke to have a beer with, but wouldn't want to work with the bugger."

The other issue with these connections is that it can lead to some bias decisions.

I'm sure the West family wasn't high on bevos Xmas cards list and see how poorly Riley was treated with selections.

On the same note, I'm sure Bevo must have been regularly over for Sunday dinner with the VDM, Scott, Duryea families

Yes he has. I recall those instances as well. Perhaps he enjoyed it more than he anticipated he would. It all comes to an end eventually though. Personally, I'd be surprised if he went again and I think this year sees him out regardless of result.

But I'm only guessing.

FWIW, I think he's handled the media scrutiny pretty well. Regardless of what many think of Bevo, I find the assault on him by the likes of Kornes & co with their personal agenda's and grievances hidden behind the facade of "footy journalism" repugnant many leagues beyond anything Bevo may or may not be guilty of.
I want him gone and have since 2018.

He is a resilient person and credit to himself. I have a great deal of respect for him and it has grown with this summer and the recent heat on on him.

I don’t like the narrative around him from some of our supporters, ie job for life, and I hate the rote soap drama of the AFL media.

I think a lot of folk have trouble untangling those threads.

I still think it’d be best for us of he was no longer our senior coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s the snide comments and pile on from others that shits me, Draper, even Dave Hughes had a smack on MMM, which I was unfortunate to hear.

Also, what’s with the more than average footage of us being jumped on tackled etc whenever they talk about another team or player.

You might think these are little things, but it’s death by 1000 cuts, it puts players off coming to us

It’s the snide comments and pile on from others that shits me, Draper, even Dave Hughes had a smack on MMM, which I was unfortunate to hear.

Also, what’s with the more than average footage of us being jumped on tackled etc whenever they talk about another team or player.

You might think these are little things, but it’s death by 1000 cuts, it puts players off coming to us

Is Dave Hughes still employed?! There are many people who survive in the entertainment industry without the one critical requisite skill - the ability to entertain. Who does he have photos of? 🤔

I want him gone and have since 2018.

He is a resilient person and credit to himself. I have a great deal of respect for him and it has grown with this summer and the recent heat on on him.

I don’t like the narrative around him from some of our supporters, ie job for life, and I hate the rote soap drama of the AFL media.

I think a lot of folk have trouble untangling those threads.

I still think it’d be best for us of he was no longer our senior coach.
I agree. Sometimes/often times a new voice or a different perspective is what's needed as the catalyst for effective change.

He may even realise that himself. His comments years ago about 5 years in a job seeing you out suggest as much. Awareness at least. The one thing thing that I have a gut feel about Bevo is that, even though he may have broken his own rule to a degree, it's because he thought he could help as opposed to helping himself. I just don't get the feel/vibe that's it's been about him.

I respect that he'll cop it for his players and he's OK with wearing the fall out. It's not all on the players, just as it's not all on the coach.

For me, the ground that he prepares for the next coach is the important thing. The players may well be ready for a new voice and may not even understand why. Bevo has consistently (I think) nurtured and looked after the players but I think the time for tough love is upon us and I'm not sure Bevo is the right one to deliver it.

It's time for many of them to stand up or *&$! off. Personally, I think the message needs to be delivered in those terms ... I don't think Bevo's the guy to do it. In a way, a narrative gives an out to too many. Narratives are good, results are better.

I agree. Sometimes/often times a new voice or a different perspective is what's needed as the catalyst for effective change.

He may even realise that himself. His comments years ago about 5 years in a job seeing you out suggest as much. Awareness at least. The one thing thing that I have a gut feel about Bevo is that, even though he may have broken his own rule to a degree, it's because he thought he could help as opposed to helping himself. I just don't get the feel/vibe that's it's been about him.

I respect that he'll cop it for his players and he's OK with wearing the fall out. It's not all on the players, just as it's not all on the coach.

For me, the ground that he prepares for the next coach is the important thing. The players may well be ready for a new voice and may not even understand why. Bevo has consistently (I think) nurtured and looked after the players but I think the time for tough love is upon us and I'm not sure Bevo is the right one to deliver it.

It's time for many of them to stand up or *&$! off. Personally, I think the message needs to be delivered in those terms ... I don't think Bevo's the guy to do it. In a way, a narrative gives an out to too many. Narratives are good, results are better.

First of all, Dave Hughes can f*** off. As funny as a fart in an elevator.

On Bevo, I agree. The time for cuddles and fairy tales is over. It's time for hard demands and results from the playing list. Shape up or ship off. No coasting, no more getting by on reputation alone.

First of all, Dave Hughes can f*** off. As funny as a fart in an elevator.

On Bevo, I agree. The time for cuddles and fairy tales is over. It's time for hard demands and results from the playing list. Shape up or ship off. No coasting, no more getting by on reputation alone.
I think that's where we are at. The one's who will transition from cuddles to the harsh realities of results are the ones we want to keep. They've all had a fair go at 'finding themselves' while Bont and Libba have carried them. So now they need to have found themselves and understand that you have to want it more than the other guy and that part of that is doing whatever you can to help your team mate ... like Bont and Libba do.

There are both old and new that this acid test is put to. Regardless of individual motivation, the end result has to be that collectively they will absolutely leave nothing in the tank when it comes to finding ways to help their team mates succeed which ultimately means that they and the team succeed.

it's a team game. Play like one ffs.

I think that's where we are at. The one's who will transition from cuddles to the harsh realities of results are the ones we want to keep. They've all had a fair go at 'finding themselves' while Bont and Libba have carried them. So now they need to have found themselves and understand that you have to want it more than the other guy and that part of that is doing whatever you can to help your team mate ... like Bont and Libba do.

There are both old and new that this acid test is put to. Regardless of individual motivation, the end result has to be that collectively they will absolutely leave nothing in the tank when it comes to finding ways to help their team mates succeed which ultimately means that they and the team succeed.

it's a team game. Play like one ffs.
Do you mind if I put your name down as a likely candidate in the Who Do We Want As Our Next Coach thread?

Is Dave Hughes still employed?! There are many people who survive in the entertainment industry without the one critical requisite skill - the ability to entertain. Who does he have photos of? 🤔
He is on breakfast radio in Sydney.... and a Carlton supporter...enough said. Probably thinks he's an expert on football sh*t shows, having to watch his team living it for the last 30 years.

Justin Leppitsch.

Keep an eye on in the coming months.
We got the same source of info here? Where there's smoke there's fire.
I've also been told that Dogs are still sounding Leppitsch out for a role.

Leppitsch is to tactics, what Bevo is to relationships.

Unfortunately Leppitsch is to relationships, what Bevo is to tactics.

Didn't he choke one of his own players once?
Tell Bevo to have a couple of years off, get Leppa to put the Macca edge back on the team and then Bring Bevo back 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back