Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously if a specific player demonstrates competency at AFL level and they’re firmly in best 23 calculations that’s a bit different. Hopefully Cleary does that. I’m not sold on him personally.

The general point is once these players get to 22-23 years old and have spent 4 years on the list and still aren’t getting games it’s time to move them on. Not keep them until they’re 25.
Most clubs I’d agree with you. But Bevo is stubborn to the point it hurts himself and his team with team selection and has been since 2017. Cleary has well and truly deserved a good longish go at it in the seniors. Last year he played a good game in Ballarat and went straight out. The year before it was the same. If his name was Vandermeer or McNeill etc he’d get a good go, even Bramble, Poulter and Baker get a way better go because they were from other clubs which mean’s Beverage had a say in their recruitment, so he is much more invested in those players than the ones drafted in by the club. Luke Cleary has been badly coached.

Obviously if a specific player demonstrates competency at AFL level and they’re firmly in best 23 calculations that’s a bit different. Hopefully Cleary does that. I’m not sold on him personally.

The general point is once these players get to 22-23 years old and have spent 4 years on the list and still aren’t getting games it’s time to move them on. Not keep them until they’re 25.

The problem is theres a lot of players we never find out about properly. Sweet is now playing well at Port and did when he did play a few games with us (Port at AO in 2018 was very good) but never got a string of games again despite his VFL form. Same thing with Cleary.

But we will keep playing the Mccombs and Gowers of the world when we know their ceiling is never likely lifting.

Edit: beaten to it

I think there are a few posters on here whose dislike of our coach, seems to have reached clinical proportions.

Bulldog supporter’s who watched last night’s game but were unable to enjoy the brilliant display of football put on by the team, could be suffering from Bevo Derangement Syndrome, or BDS.

Perhaps the most well known sufferer of BDS is Kane Corns, but frankly it has been running rampant through the AFL media ranks in recent times.

If you are experiencing BDS symptoms, perhaps a brief period of reduced exposure to AFL/Western Bulldog game vision may help you rekindle your love of the game and rebuild your resilience to the natural ups and downs of following this great club.

I wish you well in your struggles.

Most clubs I’d agree with you. But Bevo is stubborn to the point it hurts himself and his team with team selection and has been since 2017. Cleary has well and truly deserved a good longish go at it in the seniors. Last year he played a good game in Ballarat and went straight out. The year before it was the same. If his name was Vandermeer or McNeill etc he’d get a good go, even Bramble, Poulter and Baker get a way better go because they were from other clubs which mean’s Beverage had a say in their recruitment, so he is much more invested in those players than the ones drafted in by the club. Luke Cleary has been badly coached.

The problem is theres a lot of players we never find out about properly. Sweet is now playing well at Port and did when he did play a few games with us (Port at AO in 2018 was very good) but never got a string of games again despite his VFL form. Same thing with Cleary.

But we will keep playing the Mccombs and Gowers of the world when we know their ceiling is never likely lifting.

Edit: beaten to it

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think Cleary is C grade across the board. Just solid depth when called upon. I’m not sure what his AFL level trait is as a half back. I don’t think he’s particularly tall or quick, a high level interceptor, a lockdown defender or a particularly good user or run and carry option. I suspect Richards moving into the midfield and Coffield being injured are the only reason a spot has opened up for him. But it’s there for him to take. I genuinely hope he does. Maybe if he’s actually B grade across the board that’ll be enough to add something back there for us.

This is just my notably fallible opinion.

I think there are a few posters on here whose dislike of our coach, seems to have reached clinical proportions.

Bulldog supporter’s who watched last night’s game but were unable to enjoy the brilliant display of football put on by the team, could be suffering from Bevo Derangement Syndrome, or BDS.

Perhaps the most well known sufferer of BDS is Kane Corns, but frankly it has been running rampant through the AFL media ranks in recent times.

If you are experiencing BDS symptoms, perhaps a brief period of reduced exposure to AFL/Western Bulldog game vision may help you rekindle your love of the game and rebuild your resilience to the natural ups and downs of following this great club.

I love Bevo and love him to coach us into the future. But he is well and truly human and has many faults. But a particular fault called pride/stubbornness/inflexibility will stop him from improving on those other faults. One glaring one and I believe his main one, is his favouritism of certain players over others. We’ve all seen this with numerous mediocre list cloggers get multiple games over years that amount to nothing and a waste of potential talent missing prime development. Just a huge blind spot in his character that is generally good. He is just no where near elite level needed in recognising talent. But this is why we have very large football departments, no person can and should think they know it and do it all. I love that he loves his players and gives it to the swines in the media.
If Bevo was kept in his lane he could be up there with Sheeds and Clarko etc. I would love that more than anything. We just can’t have a messiah syndrome thinking a coach is also good at recruiting and development.

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think Cleary is C grade across the board. Just solid depth when called upon. I’m not sure what his AFL level trait is as a half back. I don’t think he’s particularly tall or quick, a high level interceptor, a lockdown defender or a particularly good user or run and carry option. I suspect Richards moving into the midfield and Coffield being injured are the only reason a spot has opened up for him. But it’s there for him to take. I genuinely hope he does. Maybe if he’s actually B grade across the board that’ll be enough to add something back there for us.

Play him and we will find out? You win flags with some C graders. Maybe even D graders? But Bramble and VDM are E graders so we are along way from a flag with those blokes.

Play him and we will find out? You win flags with some C graders. Maybe even D graders? But Bramble and VDM are E graders so we are along way from a flag with those blokes.

VDM yes, but Bramble has been pretty solid. It seems his clangers are weighted more heavily than some of our highly rated other players.

20 possessions at 90% is pretty good, a few howlers let him down

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

VDM yes, but Bramble has been pretty solid. It seems his clangers are weighted more heavily than some of our highly rated other players.

20 possessions at 90% is pretty good, a few howlers let him down

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah you’re probably right on Bramble I was a bit harsh there. He can be something if he works hard on his flaws and improves all round. But he has had 2 years at Hawthorn and all season with us now, compared with 4 games for Cleary who has looked well balanced each time he gets a game. And it’s like he’s had 3 debuts, it’s been that long between games.

I cant believe we've been playing small forwards like McNeil and Arty Jones instead of playing Luke Cleary along with our other million half back flankers we squeeze into the team

It's incredible how any success is because of the players and their talent and any failure is because of the coach and their inability to coach. But it's never the other way round. Funny about that
I give Bevo full credit for 2016 and 2021. But to say our list is the issue for the last few seasons doesn't make sense to me.

Harsh on Cleary, he’s played a handful of AFL games and has looked composed every time. Once he gets comfortable his strengths will shine, like his speed and disposal efficiency.

He reminds me of a young Nick Blakey from Syd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you will be pleasantly surprise if he is given a fair go. I see him as the natural replacement for Durea.

I love Bevo and love him to coach us into the future. But he is well and truly human and has many faults. But a particular fault called pride/stubbornness/inflexibility will stop him from improving on those other faults. One glaring one and I believe his main one, is his favouritism of certain players over others. We’ve all seen this with numerous mediocre list cloggers get multiple games over years that amount to nothing and a waste of potential talent missing prime development. Just a huge blind spot in his character that is generally good. He is just no where near elite level needed in recognising talent. But this is why we have very large football departments, no person can and should think they know it and do it all. I love that he loves his players and gives it to the swines in the media.
If Bevo was kept in his lane he could be up there with Sheeds and Clarko etc. I would love that more than anything. We just can’t have a messiah syndrome thinking a coach is also good at recruiting and development.
Absolutely agree. Grant has been remise in his role since 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, if you enjoy being in a cult, that’s on you. No need to lash out against us who see through Bevo’s bullshit.

Hey, if you enjoy being in a cult, that’s on you. No need to lash out against us who see through Bevo’s bullshit.
Misinterpreting and overreacting to humorous jibes, is a likely BDS symptom.

I suggest you only watch winning highlights, and read newspaper summaries for any losses.😉

I love Bevo and love him to coach us into the future. But he is well and truly human and has many faults. But a particular fault called pride/stubbornness/inflexibility will stop him from improving on those other faults. One glaring one and I believe his main one, is his favouritism of certain players over others. We’ve all seen this with t numerous mediocre list cloggers get multiple games over years that amount to nothing and a waste of potential talent missing prime development. Just a huge blind spot in his character that is generally good. He is just no where near elite level needed in recognising talent. But this is why we have very large football departments, no person can and should think they know it and do it all. I love that he loves his players and gives it to the swines in the media.

It is possible to think we should keep Bevo as coach and not have a messiah syndrome.

For all his faults he has been our most successful coach ever. He also should take the lion’s share of the credit for our current generally competitive position and talented list. Suggesting his ability isn’t at the elite level is just a rubbish statement.

If only people would stop undermining the bloke we could quickly find ourselves in a position to have a crack at another flag, possibly even as early as this coming September if things go our way.

I wish people would stop complaining about how the glass isn’t completely full, and demanding the bartender to be sacked or put on a performance management plan over it. It’s a busy bar, and it’s difficult to navigate the path all the way out to our table.

Senior coaches are headstrong, dominating people by nature. It’s their way or the highway.
Try to control them too much and you risk destroying what made them great in the first place, or simply driving them away.

I really think Bevo’s main weakness is selection.
So Bevo is still the match committee dictator? With a bunch of new coaches and a coaching overseer? I don’t know how he STILL manages to get away with playing favourites and punishing young players by refusing to give them games, week after week 🤔

Last edited:
So Bevo is still the match committee dictator? With a bunch of new coaches and a coaching overseer? I don’t know how he STILL manages to get away with playing favourites and punishing young players by refusing to give them games, week after week 🤔
I just seen top of the ladder VFL beat another top team today, so there isn’t anyone in that team that could replace Vandermeer? Vanders has been stinking it up for nearly 50 games and apparently he is better than all in VFL?

It is possible to think we should keep Bevo as coach and not have a messiah syndrome.

For all his faults he has been our most successful coach ever. He also should take the lion’s share of the credit for our current generally competitive position and talented list. Suggesting his ability isn’t at the elite level is just a rubbish statement.

If only people would stop undermining the bloke we could quickly find ourselves in a position to have a crack at another flag, possibly even as early as this coming September if things go our way.

I wish people would stop complaining about how the glass isn’t completely full, and demanding the bartender to be sacked or put on a performance management plan over it. It’s a busy bar, and it’s difficult to navigate the path all the way out to our table.

Senior coaches are headstrong, dominating people by nature. It’s their way or the highway.
Try to control them too much and you risk destroying what made them great in the first place, or simply driving them away.
I suggested that he doesn’t have elite level skills in judging future talent. He is obviously an elite coach, he’d be a freak if he also had elite level talent identification too. It’s probably not possible and from looking at his history it is obvious he is not. All players that come from another club have the coaches influence in recruiting because that’s the level he is across, and his record is not great on this front. As I said not elite in this aspect. That’s ok we pay other people to do this. It’s when he overrides those professionals that we have problems and even lose elite level talent identifiers.

I suggested that he doesn’t have elite level skills in judging future talent. He is obviously an elite coach, he’d be a freak if he also had elite level talent identification too. It’s probably not possible and from looking at his history it is obvious he is not. All players that come from another club have the coaches influence in recruiting because that’s the level he is across, and his record is not great on this front. As I said not elite in this aspect. That’s ok we pay other people to do this. It’s when he overrides those professionals that we have problems and even lose elite level talent identifiers.
Don’t disagree that his judgement of mature talent from other clubs isn’t as good as he thinks it is.

Just don’t see it as a terminal flaw.

Let's be honest the media clique has a particular dislike for him, due to the animosity with Damien Barrett, Tom Morris, and attitude towards shock jocks like Cornes.

Don’t disagree that his judgement of mature talent from other clubs isn’t as good as he thinks it is.

Just don’t see it as a terminal flaw.
Just frustrating that no club is as confused at selection than us. There never seems to be selection integrity. We are on top in the twos and struggling in the ones. Rotate crew through there. They go on about pre-season form? Round 1 or 2 maybe, but real games AFL and VFL show who’s in form and who’s not. Sometimes they think they need to play these types or those types. To a degree, you need a certain amount of structure, but mostly should reward form and play blokes when they’re hot. VDM is cold as ice at the moment, I’d even drop JUH for a week or two is quite out of form and throw Lobb in for him who is in form. That’s the sort of flexible thinking I reckon we need.

Love this post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just seen top of the ladder VFL beat another top team today, so there isn’t anyone in that team that could replace Vandermeer? Vanders has been stinking it up for nearly 50 games and apparently he is better than all in VFL?
Ok you don’t like Vandermeer. But he has attributes that the coaches like. Not a sack-the-coach offence.

Credit Proff, your perspective on our coach, whilst against the general flow on here is a perspective that has strong validity.

Though I think his time is coming to an end, the personal attacks from the media is appalling from failed hacks.

Why any of our supporters would be personally disrespectful in discussions here is a a poor reflection of the respect Bev deserves. (Facebook is a discrace)

We will always disagree with the longevity and value of players entering to downside of their careers, but even if there are aspects of Bev and coaching I may disagree with your logic is sound

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back