Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we considering grand final defeats as coaching failures are we?
Even though you are cheaply cherrypicking and ignoring the rest of my post, yes, that Grand Final loss was heavily driven by failure in the coach's box.

That's beside the point which you've clearly missed. Zero top 4 finishes in 10 years despite having mostly good recruiting and Bontempelli from the start is not a sign of a good rebuilding coach.

I’m not unhappy having Bevo rebuild the list.

His record with us shows this is probably his biggest strength.

The hardest part seems to be actually acknowledging that’s where we are and adjusting expectations of the relevant stakeholders from supporters to board members etc
🤫 Don't tell anyone bit we're not actually rebuilding. We're evolving this year.

Next year, but more likely the year following, when experience, maturity and talent align, we'll be on track to win a flag for the second time in 10 years.

In the meantime, just sit back and enjoy the  rants ride.

I’m not unhappy having Bevo rebuild the list.

His record with us shows this is probably his biggest strength.

The hardest part seems to be actually acknowledging that’s where we are and adjusting expectations of the relevant stakeholders from supporters to board members etc

I'd personally prefer to see a change to a less experimental coach. Feels like we drop a few games every year due to silly selections and gameplans

my question is how Bont feels having most of his prime spent with our list in a state of being rebuilt.
Cripps spent many years leading the basket case that was Carlton. The Saints had several great players who never managed to advance the team during their whole careers. There are tons of other examples. Bont is not an exception and at least has the satisfaction of a premiership medal. He probably has the ambition to lead a team of his own to glory, but only one team per year will be able to do it.

Bev has simply reached his expiry date. It's not having a crack at him, the guy will always be revered for that 2016 flag. Time for a fresh voice and a fresh pair of eyes, like Bev was back when he started coaching the WBD.

Really can't see how Bev can rally the troops, like some folk think he can. Time for a change, I wish folk could see things for what they are....10 years as a coach in one club, is pretty good going.

I'd personally prefer to see a change to a less experimental coach. Feels like we drop a few games every year due to silly selections and gameplans

For all the teeth gnashing (and I’ve done my fair share) I think it’s this. A little more stability in team selection, a little less experimentation with player positions, a little more emphasis on basics (tackling, handballing, defensive and forward positioning) among other minor things would have a fairly substantive effect imo. Winning 2-3 more close games a year is not only about the points and ladder position but also the momentum.

It’s not like Scott, Longmire or even Goodwin are geniuses - Bevo likely has them all covered in terms of creativity and player relationships. But their teams have in general a sustainable home and away performance level that has them in contention more often than not. You can argue about list quality, but at least some of it is putting a coherent and consistent gameplan in place and letting your best players win the game.

If Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne and the dogs all theoretically finished top four then I’d bet on Bevo to get our boys to a flag. With equality in finals (double chance, home advantages etc) I think he’s the more innovative and motivational coach. But we never get there so even when we’re in finals it requires a Herculean effort.

I’ve mentioned on this thread before how Bevo is not a great identifier of talent. But is he a good football strategist? I reckon the modern football club should understand who is good at what and use them accordingly. To think that a coach can be a good manager, motivator and football strategist among a whole lot of other things. I remember when Grant Thomas said that he thought Rodney Eade was the best football strategist he’d ever encountered and that clubs should pay him a lot of money for that role alone.
To me from the outside it’s looks like Bevo is a great motivator, father figure, manager. The centre figure, the glue that holds the group together. And probably less is the game plan, in game tactics and changes, reaction to AFL rule changes, selection and recruitment from other clubs.

Even though you are cheaply cherrypicking and ignoring the rest of my post, yes, that Grand Final loss was heavily driven by failure in the coach's box.

That's beside the point which you've clearly missed. Zero top 4 finishes in 10 years despite having mostly good recruiting and Bontempelli from the start is not a sign of a good rebuilding coach.
So top 4 finishes and good recruiting is the sign of a good rebuild? That sounds to me like it's the sign of a good system for sure, but the rebuild starts when the club is initially not having those things, and rebuilds to then have those things, surely.

Our best 22 was turned over between 2016 and 2021 fairly comprehensively, with 60% of the team playing in the 2021 grand final having not played in the 2016 grand final - and us having the 12th youngest list in the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

I'd simply ask which clubs you think in the last 20 years have truly rebuilt without things like AFL assistance or priority picks? Sure, we've had our father sons and NGA academy picks but it'd be grossly unfair to suggest those players at this stage of their careers should have moved the needle for the club.

So top 4 finishes and good recruiting is the sign of a good rebuild? That sounds to me like it's the sign of a good system for sure, but the rebuild starts when the club is initially not having those things, and rebuilds to then have those things, surely.

Our best 22 was turned over between 2016 and 2021 fairly comprehensively, with 60% of the team playing in the 2021 grand final having not played in the 2016 grand final - and us having the 12th youngest list in the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

I'd simply ask which clubs you think in the last 20 years have truly rebuilt without things like AFL assistance or priority picks? Sure, we've had our father sons and NGA academy picks but it'd be grossly unfair to suggest those players at this stage of their careers should have moved the needle for the club.
How many players played last week that weren’t in the 2021 grand final?

How many players played last week that weren’t in the 2021 grand final?
There were 10 players that were in the starting 22 against the Tigers, that were not in the starting 22 for us in the 2021 AFL Grand Final.

They are:

Joel Freijah
Liam Jones
James Harmes
Laitham Vandermeer (Was the sub in the 2021 grand final)
Sam Darcy
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
James O'Donnell
Rhylee West
Harvey Gallagher
Lachie Bramble

Happy to be corrected if I've missed anyone.

Players in the grand final side:

Retired: Stef Martin, Easton Wood
Injured: Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith, Cody Weightman
Delisted: Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith
Traded: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter
Playing VFL: Caleb Daniel
Played our most recent game: Alex Keath, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar, Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Jason Johannisen, Taylor Duryea, Laitham Vandermeer

This year really is the year of evolution.

In the light of the midweek days I'm finding myself less drawn to outcomes/results and more to the excitement/anticipation of debutants, player development and positional/tactical tinkering.

I'm just not of the view that we're a flag contender this year but we could be next year or the year after when the stars align.

Of course my need for instant gratification will rear its head on gameday and I'll no doubt be as guilty as anyone else of intemperate player assessments and questioning of coach and club.

In the light of the midweek day, however, pragmaticism and hope for the future will return. Whether it's with or without Bevo will seem to be of little consequence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were 10 players that were in the starting 22 against the Tigers, that were not in the starting 22 for us in the 2021 AFL Grand Final.

They are:

Joel Freijah
Liam Jones
James Harmes
Laitham Vandermeer (Was the sub in the 2021 grand final)
Sam Darcy
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
James O'Donnell
Rhylee West
Harvey Gallagher
Lachie Bramble

Happy to be corrected if I've missed anyone.
You missed Richards and Garcia from the starting 22. Cleary (sub on Saturday) was the other to not play in the 2021 GF.

That's not my recollection at all. I remember it as a general statement about the shelf-life of a coach. I could be wrong of course. It's been known to happen.

But as I say it's all history and largely irrelevant now.

A free "like" for anyone who can ind the original quote and settle the argument!
I made an initial attempt last night by reading through 3 or 4 articles/interviews from the time of his appointment. No luck.

If everyone pitches in I'm sure we can find the elusive quote and settle once and for all whether Bevo is actually going to leave after spending 5 years at the helm.

Does anyone have any clues? Was it in an article? Was it in his announcement press conference? Has bigfooty just invented it?

I made an initial attempt last night by reading through 3 or 4 articles/interviews from the time of his appointment. No luck.

If everyone pitches in I'm sure we can find the elusive quote and settle once and for all whether Bevo is actually going to leave after spending 5 years at the helm.

Does anyone have any clues? Was it in an article? Was it in his announcement press conference? Has bigfooty just invented it?
I recall it also.

Since when have the masses been wrong about anything?

Trying to pass a bit of time, so threw this together to compare the players from the 2021 GF side to last week's.

View attachment 1989487

Some of these 2021 vs 2024 pairs have a pretty clear better option that I've bolded, some are harder to differentiate.
What is clear it is not a full rebuild, just replacing players not up to it, retiring or issues with the exception of Dunkley. This years list still includes B Smith, Weightman, Daniel and Libba 3 of which are injured.

Most on the left hand side have more talent but are still developing

The style of AFL has changed a lot since 2021

We are building towards that but are one year behind IMO

Not sure I agree with that.
As I said in another thread looking at various stats across the league, we genuinely could have won the Premiership last year.

Not to dismiss the fact that losing those 2 late games is an argument the other way, but if we has 1 more win during the H&A we would have been in it up to our necks.

Signs already  ok so far this year. I dont think we are "behind" anyone or anywhere.

Not sure I agree with that.
As I said in another thread looking at various stats across the league, we genuinely could have won the Premiership last year.

Not to dismiss the fact that losing those 2 late games is an argument the other way, but if we has 1 more win during the H&A we would have been in it up to our necks.

Signs already  ok so far this year. I dont think we are "behind" anyone or anywhere.
I might be wrong but didn’t fail to beat anyone of note last year? We were a way off in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back