List Mgmt. Fyfe to Adelaide..wild rumour.

Remove this Banner Ad

With all said and done, I would say that despite Fyfe being an absolute champion, Dusty would fit the current team better in terms of playing style.

Dusty can play, but I don't know if he'd pass the no-d***heads test, so I don't think the club would necessarily go down that path.

But then I remember that this is the same club that recruited such luminaries as Kurt Tippett, Wayne Carey and Laurence Angwin, so we probably don't have a ND test, so yeah, why not, let's get him :p

But lets say hypothetically that we can manage 900k for 5 years on Fyfe as an RFA, that means he doesnt cost us a draft pick. Now we would need to shuffle our list to accommodate him in the salary cap. I think we would need to trim ruthlessly at the high end. Players like Douglas, Mackay, Smith, Seedsman, Menzel would be on relatively high wages. I think we can afford to lose these types of players. Lets say we could trade Douglas, Mackay and Seedsman for three second to third round draft picks. Could we then package that up with our first to get us a higher first rounder, or package that up with our second to get a higher second rounder. We could end up with Fyfe plus a much better draft position at the expense of players who are at the back end of their career. That would be a huge win.
I don't know that there are many clubs that would be happy to give us much more than a bag of chips for those guys. As you said, middle range players at the back end of the career.

Still, you'd look to drop their wages a bit to get a star in.

I don't know that there are many clubs that would be happy to give us much more than a bag of chips for those guys. As you said, middle range players at the back end of the career.

Still, you'd look to drop their wages a bit to get a star in.

Yeah true. I think Smith is the one on our list, who would be on big money, who I would be prepared to let go if we had to make a "big" decision to make room for a Fyfe or a Martin type player. I know that wont be popular considering he is an SA boy, but if we had to make room in our salary cap, then I would be ok with that. He would get us a decent pick. But ideally, we would let go for free Douglas, Mackay and Seedsman and then back in our young players to come through to make up that shortage.

Having said that I still question whether Sloane will accept Fyfe or Martin on massive wages and then the club not being able to offer him the same amount. Maybe we could lock down Sloane and a few others for 5 years before we did a deal like that.

I can't see Fyfe coming to Adelaide for a number of reasons. If he were to leave Freo it would be for a Victorian club.

I think the most likely deal at the end of the year will be for Gibbs.

With all said and done, I would say that despite Fyfe being an absolute champion, Dusty would fit the current team better in terms of playing style.
Fyfe prefers the county lifestyle, so doubt he will go to Melbourne.

Doubt he will leave Fremantle, but if he does, we are a better chance than most teams.

Yeah true. I think Smith is the one on our list, who would be on big money, who I would be prepared to let go if we had to make a "big" decision to make room for a Fyfe or a Martin type player. I know that wont be popular considering he is an SA boy, but if we had to make room in our salary cap, then I would be ok with that. He would get us a decent pick. But ideally, we would let go for free Douglas, Mackay and Seedsman and then back in our young players to come through to make up that shortage.

Having said that I still question whether Sloane will accept Fyfe or Martin on massive wages and then the club not being able to offer him the same amount. Maybe we could lock down Sloane and a few others for 5 years before we did a deal like that.
Both of those guys are better than Rory, and I love Rory.

We as a club don't tend to budge much from our pay scale so it would take a huge shift in thinking to land these either of those guys

If Fyfe is serious about a flag he will be leaving Freo at the end of the season. They are looking like bottom 4 at best. Things can change though.

Most have said Vic is the destination he will head to if he leaves but I can see the Crows being in for a real crack. It does look like we are on the verge of a flag period and we would have the cap space. It would also explain why we would not give up our 2017 1st round pick last year for Gibbs. I know Fyfe is a restricted free agent but there could be the case like Danger where a trade is done to get him here. Fyfe and Danger seem similar personalities to me. Money isn't the big issue but winning/family is. Adelaide is a lot closer to Perth than Vic.

He's not serious about a flag: he's looking forward to the next 5 years at Fremantle, as captain! (from his own mouth)

This has been discussed on here recently, but I reckon it's a BF myth that good players leave for greater success. What player has moved, having declared that it is for success? Home, family, and money seem to be the only reasons.

Rory Batman Sloane is a top 10 player in the league, last year and looks to be so this year too.
You're right, there's no point doing such things if it pisses him off so much. One would hope we're paying him appropriately so it isn't an issue.

And Angwin was a Captain's pick by Ayres ( see here ) :straining:

Ed. link
Angwin was the most talented player in his draft year, big call I know but he was THAT good.

He was also pretty ordinary off field. I often wonder who would've bothered with him if we didnt.

Potential A grade players don't want to play NEAFL

These are the ones to go for , you're right that it's not easy but feed their ego is the way to go about re term of contract , & and opportunity the main one
Hopper's 2nd year and Setterfield's 1st year. Doubt those guys are going to spit the dummy about playing a few NEAFL games, especially with the club list profile and premiership chances as they are. Maybe going into their 4th or 5th years. But with the list and salary cap reductions, those Giants 'star kids' playing NEAFL have been pretty much cleared out now. Missed the boat.

Dusty can play, but I don't know if he'd pass the no-d***heads test, so I don't think the club would necessarily go down that path.

But then I remember that this is the same club that recruited such luminaries as Kurt Tippett, Wayne Carey and Laurence Angwin, so we probably don't have a ND test, so yeah, why not, let's get him :p

I've never seen Martin being a D-head on field. Looks totally focussed and not a big head at all. Probably has hung around some bad crowd due to his old mans influence but that would not exist if he was in Adelaide. From all I've heard he's a very dedicated player with elite preparation.
Yeah he's got some tats but who doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rory Batman Sloane is a top 10 player in the league, last year and looks to be so this year too.
You're right, there's no point doing such things if it pisses him off so much. One would hope we're paying him appropriately so it isn't an issue.

Would it though? Surely Sloane goes "yeah that move puts us a lot closer to a premiership, lets do it".

Massive spread in the West Australian today about how s**t Freo are and how there's life without stars eg danger. Quotes from Cometti, Cooney and Lyon on why Fyfe should leave. Only a matter of time. Pressure is ramping up.

Last edited:
Massive spread in the West Australian today about how s**t Freo are abd how there's life without stars eg danger. Quotes from Cometti, Cooney and Lyon on why Fyfe should leace. Only a matter of time. Pressure is ramping up.
Jon Mouth Ralph will have him going to Geelong.

Would it though? Surely Sloane goes "yeah that move puts us a lot closer to a premiership, lets do it".
I'm sure he would unless there was a significant pay discrepancy.
Unless our administration are total morons though, they will be transparent about it and Sloane will be getting what makes him happy anyway.

I think the Franklin to Sydney saga has shown us that putting all of your eggs in 1 basket has major disruptive influences long term.

Bringing in a Fyffe or Martin could create more problems than it solves. What talent do we give up? How much cap space will be committed? Who will be asked to make way to accomodate this? Who will get their noses out of joint while the cap is being "adjusted".

While bringing either Martin or Fyffe would be exciting to see it could be at a huge cost. Fyffe in particular would also be the worry with his bad knee. Is it ok? Has he lost any speed or agility?
The few games he played before his injury last year were ordinary by his standards. There are no guarantees he will be the player that won the Brownlow. No such worry with Martin. He is something special and this year looks to have stepped up again. But seriously why would any one want to leave Melbourne to play in Adelaide? It has happened before but rarely. Martin may have reason to leave Melbourne. The media can be tough over there. Adelaide offers a new start away from any outside influences.

Personally my choice would be to chase Gibbs and forget the other 2.
Gibbs is a relatively cheap option that should not cause too much pain compared to the alternatives. I'm not sure we have a need for players of their quality that come at such a cost. We lack depth in the midfield. A Gibbs and perhaps one other......Rockliffe maybe.

Martin would be a great acquisition however if the club feels it can withstand the long term disruption to the squad.
We saw what happened with Sydney. Loss of COLA, loss of players, salary cuts, early retirements.

By the time it comes to place a bid with Fyffes manager we'll have seen his progress through this season and know a little more about his recovery and If he is worth the risk.

I think the lessons from Sydney and soon to be Geelong are clear. Expensive marquee players come at a cost. They do not guarantee premierships. Dangerfield will probably win a few more Brownlows but I doubt he will see a premiership medal with Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back