Gaff - does he stay or go? Let me set the scene..

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluengold91

Senior List
Aug 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
ok so now Gaff season is over will he decide to sign on or has he already made up his mind and is going home?? Does the Bradshaw incident change his plans at all?? If he does leave where does that leave the eagles going into next year n the future??

Firstly I really hope he does sign on and part of me feels (especially if we don't win the flag) that Gaff will strongly believe he owes the club and his teammates for costing them a chance at GF n premiership glory. He loves the club n is a much loved teammate, I can't see him wanting this to be his last act in the blue n Gold.

If he does go tho, what is our next step?? Use the compo Pick we get to try trade in Kelly??? I hear we have offered 500k a year for 3 years. Still a lot less then wat gaff would get n with Nic Nat not going to be getting close to the money we thought he would(before his 2nd knee) we should have cap space to go hard at coniglio next year as a free agent.

Would u rather have gaff for next 5 years or are we better off with Kelly + Coniglio??

2020 could look like this
C Masten Redden Coniglio
R Lycett Shuey Yeo

Ruck rotation - Nic Nat
Mid rotations -Sheed, Venables, Hutchings (tagger/good depth), AhChee, Bubs n Bradshaw (depending on development)

Last edited:
Gaff leaving = 90%
Kelly coming = 50%
Coniglio coming = 25%
Brayshaw developing into a player like his brothers = 15%

Gaff leaving = 90%
Kelly coming = 50%
Coniglio coming = 25%
Brayshaw developing into a player like his brothers = 15%

Interesting, a reason u think only 15% char on Bradshaw making it? N how come u rate our chances on Coniglio so low?

We have more chance on Coniglio than Kelly.

Why would Kelly want to come to a club that overlooked him a couple of times? Geelong took a chance on him, I am sure he wants to repay their faith.

Even so I think it's highly unlikely Coniglio would want to return home. Seems like the ultimate professional that is able to play at an elite level at any club in the land. I think he'll be a one club player.

If we're looking at WA guys coming home, Swallow at the end of the next year is a far more attainable target - especially if Gold Coast continue to be s**t and we're still in the mix. Both of which I don't see any reason to not continue.

Swallow has not had the career that Coniglio has had but it's been very hard to flourish in the Gold Coast environment for anyone.

Last edited:
From people i know word is Gaff is gone to St kilda has been wanting to go for 2 years... hope they are wrong

From people i know word is Gaff is gone to St kilda has been wanting to go for 2 years... hope they are wrong

Why the * would anyone want to go to St Kilda?

If we're looking at WA guys coming home, Swallow at the end of the next year is a far more attainable target - especially if Gold Coast continue to be s**t and we're still in the mix. Both of which I don't see any reason to continue.

Swallow has not had the career that Coniglio has had but it's been very hard to flourish in the Gold Coast environment for anyone.
At his best, what is Swallow? Is he better than what Redden has done this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably could be rolled into the existing List management thread or free agent thread.

I remain supremely confident Gaff stays, and I base this on nothing but the vibe of it.

I don't think this incident will impact his decision, I just think it will confirm what he was already leaning towards. If he was thinking of leaving, then this would push you towards going. If he was looking at staying, our club's response now and in the coming weeks to get around him will surely confirm that idea and see him stay.

Here's an interesting game. Let's say Gaff leaves. In what order would you rank his departure in terms of "shitness" (sorry, couldn't come up with a better description) as compared with Judd's and Cousins' departures?

Worst to least worst for me:
Cousins
Gaff
Judd

At his best, what is Swallow? Is he better than what Redden has done this season?
If he can fulfill the talent from his junior day he could be All Australian level but it's a huge if now and probably not likely to be totally fulfilled.

Gold Coast have been hopeless on the field and their injury management has obviously been putrid.

Nevertheless he'd be a pretty good free agent pickup, and a new club could be just what he needs.

If he were at any other club I'd say he's just another talented youngster who didn't quite take the step up at senior level (although he's not been terrible or anything. Just middle of the pack). But given Gold Coast's terrible track record of development I'd say there is a big chance the fault lays at the club and not completely with the player.

As i arrogantly walked down the road today, i sat there, haughtily pondering this very question to myself.

I pompously dismissed it with a particularly imperious snort.

“As if hed want to go down and live with the poor”

I finished shitting on the little old ladies doorstep that had mildly irritated me, wiped my arse with a toddler and strode off.

Kicking a dog absent mindedly, I smiled a supercilious grin. Completely assured of my place in the world.

Its good to be the kings.

Last edited:
I'm more wondering on the timing, even if he wanted to stay with us, he probably has to let this die down a few weeks, in any case, he will keep a low profile for quite a while.

I want him to stay, his year thus far has been A grade, but if he goes, I understand, hes from Vic, gave us very good service, and bar one brain fart, not an ounce of trouble.

Life wont be much fun running around for St Kilda though.

Probably could be rolled into the existing List management thread or free agent thread.

I remain supremely confident Gaff stays, and I base this on nothing but the vibe of it.

I don't think this incident will impact his decision, I just think it will confirm what he was already leaning towards. If he was thinking of leaving, then this would push you towards going. If he was looking at staying, our club's response now and in the coming weeks to get around him will surely confirm that idea and see him stay.
Very arrogant of you to think Gaff will stay.
The Eagles BigFooty board needs a cultural change. I say Nisbett Quinz has to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back