Games that will forever burn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely the 2005 and 2015 GF losses. 2005 we blew chance after chance, 2015 we didn't turn up and it felt over at quarter time. Different feelings of disappointment for each one. 2007 was disappointing also, but with Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Hansen, Waters etc. all missing had we managed to eek through to the GF Geelong would've done all manner of nasty things to us. Rounds 1-10 West Coast game on, but we were as cooked on the field as off by the time the finals rolled around.

2012 Rd10 vs Brisbane burns a little. We conceded 8 goals in the last quarter to a team that only had 8 goals to 3QT. Ended up 5th and winning that game would've had us in the top 4, and 2012 was a lot more open than the year before. Hawthorn before their run, Collingwood already starting to be Buckleyed, Sydney and Adelaide in the top for for the first time since 2006. Was our last chance at pinching a flag with the Naitanui/Cox combo and Glass and Waters in defence. And Josh ******* Green blew it for us. Little ginger kent.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever read on here, and I've posted a few shockers myself.

It's hardly a serious comment. Every single club ever has more than a few draft busts. It is irrelevant to anything.

But since we are taking it seriously I think taking Campbell Brown and Rick Larson in 2001 was where the Hawks really stuffed up given both Brian Harris and Dane Swan were both still available :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2001 Prelim, to this day still makes me angry
When you go into a final without having to worry about Lloyd who was suspended then Hird and Mercuri spend most of the match on the bench due to injury (as well as Long but he was pretty much finished) you have nothing to be angry about. As for the umpiring Hawthorn won the count comfortably that day, something like 20-13. When the game was on the line a struggling & sore Essendon, who battled a large number of injuries though out the season, wanted it more, kicking 3 goals after Croad hit the post with a kick that could've put Hawthorn in front. Pretty gutsy effort all things considered.

The one that got away. We erased a 20 point half-time deficit to just 2 points in the at 3 quarter time. We in fact led by as many as 10 points in the last quarter only for Sydney to come back. The game was decided by Leo Barry's mark that is now in footy folklore.

Glad we made up the most of this a year later. "Who would've thought the sequel, would be just as good as the original!"

I've been a fan through a lot, the good and the bad, but nothing was worse than the 2012 prelim

I sat for about and hour after the siren just staring into nothing.

Worst game ever.

As an Eagles supporter, 2007 Qualifying Final v Port. Cousins does hammy, Judd's groin broken, Kerr out with a thumb injury & no CHF in Hansen playing either. Lose by 3 points after being 4 goals up & the 2 Brownlow medalists never to be seen in Eagles colours again.
i feel your pain mate. that vision of cousin walking up the race will haunt me forever :/

1997 and 2009 prelims have always burnt. But I wouldn't have got as much joy out of last year without those losses :)

This is the reality. The pain of the bad times makes the good times even sweeter to savour.
Bill Brownless played in Geelong 1989, 92, 94 and 95 grand final losses.
He was in tears at the moment of realisation in 2007 grand final he would experience a Geelong grand final day with a premiership to savour at the end of it.

Every club supporter's, and when I say supporters, I mean real people that support their club in both good and bad times really get what winning a grand final means and how difficult it is to achieve. There are many other hangers on, or bandwagoners that only like to jump onboard in good times and will distance themself in bad times. They follow a club but that is all. The supporters get a richer experience in the good times as they truly experienced the contrast too, to appreciate how special premierships are.

I wasn't gutted at all after 2012... I was numb.. I have put up with so much since 98 that I was used to it by then.
Hmmmm where do I start.

1993 Prelim.. Andrew Jarman..... ARGH!!
2002 Prelim after being on top in the 2nd half we should have went on with it.. then we lost McLeod and Edwards early on.
2005 Qualifying final vs St Kilda (I remember it rained all day and into the night and stopped before the game.. ground had water pools on it. would have been a diff story if it was a dry night)
2006 Prelim (this one hurts the most, I remember I got home and laid in the dark all night.. I was depressed to the max)
2007 Elim final.(this is the wildest I have got. I walked out of Etihad losing my $hit.. I was out of control)
2009 Semi final against the pies. gutted.. sat in a gutter outside an Adelaide pub just about sobbing after this one.
2012 Qualifying final against Sydney (oh no.. its happened again, we have lost another final at home)
Remarkably a small Price to pay considering what happened in 1997 and 1998

This is the reality. The pain of the bad times makes the good times even sweeter to savour.
Bill Brownless played in Geelong 1989, 92, 94 and 95 grand final losses.
He was in tears at the moment of realisation in 2007 grand final he would experience a Geelong grand final day with a premiership to savour at the end of it.

Every club supporter's, and when I say supporters, I mean real people that support their club in both good and bad times really get what winning a grand final means and how difficult it is to achieve. There are many other hangers on, or bandwagoners that only like to jump onboard in good times and will distance themself in bad times. They follow a club but that is all. The supporters get a richer experience in the good times as they truly experienced the contrast too, to appreciate how special premierships are.
Having said that, 72 still causes nightmares.

I've been a fan through a lot, the good and the bad, but nothing was worse than the 2012 prelim

I sat for about and hour after the siren just staring into nothing.

Worst game ever.
I was working at the G that day and knocked off at three quarter time to watch the rest of the match. I was flat out furious after that game and how the Hawks got the rub of the green, absolute bollocks! That and the 2009 A-League grand final are the only two times where I have walked away from a game feeling like I wanted to deck someone. When my side loses I generally rationalise it as we weren't good enough and move on as if nothing happened, but those two games stick out for me as two clear cut cases of robbery with the stakes so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back