Games that will forever burn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Eagles supporter, 2007 Qualifying Final v Port. Cousins does hammy, Judd's groin broken, Kerr out with a thumb injury & no CHF in Hansen playing either. Lose by 3 points after being 4 goals up & the 2 Brownlow medalists never to be seen in Eagles colours again.
West coast literally had a rise and fall over the 2000's, winning the cup in 06 and then a spoon in 2010 finishing off the decline.

I have three recent ones, and they are all against St Kilda.

1: Prelim 2009 - closely fought match with St Kilda just getting over the top, however as a football supporter my memory is clouded by some questionable decisions.
2: Round 6 2015 - Up by 55 at half time, Clay Smith does his knee and it all comes crashing down.
3: Round something 2016 - Red does his ACL, Wallis breaks his leg badly and we lose one we really should have won.

The 2016 EF loss sticks with me. We looked a million bucks leading into finals. I didn't even rate the Dogs a threat. Then we served up that tripe.

2016 EF was painful, especially watching live, based on the fact we were probably the form team in the competition going into the finals, only just missing out on top 4 after beating GWS away, a still quality hawthorn outfit at home, and convincingly beat the crows away. Compounding this was the fact that I was almost certain we'd beat the dogs after their loss to freo in round 23, and our recent subi form against them. Made worse by the crushing realisation that 2015 might have been our best chance to snag a flag with the current squad.

2015 GF for obvious reasons, probably being the best team all year up until that day, and then not just going down to a team we smashed in the QF weeks earlier, but just showing little to no intent or tenacity. Also the fact we could have still been in the contest at half time despite the errors and poor efforts if not for wayward goal kicking in the first half, which could have changed the tone for the 2nd half, and who knows what may have happened.

2007 SF as well as the turn of events that followed, as it was the first finals game I had seen live, and we managed to draw despite missing Judd, Cousins and Kerr, and then went down in extra time. Was extremely painful, especially knowing Judd was more than likely gone in the trade period and Cousins went off the rails a few weeks/months later and was sacked. With a full healthy team I think we had the potential to go back to back, or atleast providing to be somewhat of a challenge to geelong in the GF, as opposed to a training run. The feeling fter the game was like I had just witnessed the brutal end to a great era, which turned out to be true.

2006 preliminary final then the 2007 season, an example when the team struggles under expectation (same with 2013).
The epic choke in the 2009 semi final.
2012 preliminary final, great effort, fell a kick short and then the rubbish the team had to go through after that.
R23 2016, horrible effort vs West Coast cost Adelaide a top 4 spot, got outplayed by Sydney in the semi but at least they started 2017 with hunger winning their first 6 games and who knows I might add 2017 preliminary final here, hopefully not but we'll see.

vs Adelaide, 2002 Semi Final.

Great game though so I can almost let it slide.

It might sound weird given how heart-wrenching a loss it was, but I have great memories of the game.

I went just with my Mum, who has always liked footy but I can't remember many occasions when it was just us two. The game was just incredible and was a real breakout game for Travis Johnstone and we had some great performances like from Peter Vardy.

I was sitting near a rather arrogant folk who had several grand on Adelaide and was laughing it up after the first quarter. I don't think he even supported one of the teams playing, but just loved a punt.

Needless to say, he was rather pale in the face after three, although he was safe at the end...

For me it's the 2013 PF. This was our chance to get them back and had Chapman and Enright play we win. We were up by 20 at 3 qtr time.
Plus a chance at seeing a Cats vs Dockers GF with all the bitterness between the sides would've been immense. A far more interesting battle than Hawks v Freo. Neutrals would've enjoyed the physicality.

Going into 2014 Hawks would've had the chokers tag instead and possibly affected them in '14 and '15.
There's a fine line between greatness and failure.

The 05 SF sucks for me as I was there and sitting behind the goals at the Nick Davis end, however we never expected to win that game and if we did would have likely struggled after. Still another choke with a decent lead and that type of choking is the worst.

For you maybe....

That win (that ended the streak aswell) kick started one of the best periods for a football team in history. Hawthorn were never losing to Freo after that Prelim and never looked like getting topped in the two subsequent Grand Finals either.

As you say, lose and the Hawks would of let a big one slip and quite possibly never got over it.

If I were a Geelong fan I would feel the same as you. Such a fine line.

All the finals we have lost lately really.

Think we were the better team all year apart from the Port one, and we continually lost the game in the third quarter for the other two, insult to injury I think we had a chance against the swans when Carlton beat us.

1997 Qualifying Final and Semi Finals v North and the Crows respectively. Our last real chance to win the big one with that team. Colbert's mark being overturned by Grant ******* Vernon still resonates. A bradbury season if ever there was one.

2008 of course and last year's Prelim. Anything else was worth it for the success we had.

Ooooh yeah :(

Last round 2009, needed to win to make the finals, against a hated opponent. Brad Sewell got smashed by Lloyd, umpires killed us at crucial times and Essendon won going away from us. Thankfully they got spanked the next week

2012 grand final hurt a lot too.

It did, but I'm a big believer in timelines and tiny shifts directly affecting the course of everything. I can't get worked up about any results prior to 2013 because we might not of won 3 on the spin. If Rioli hadn't missed a meaningless uncontested mark in junk time in round 4, 2013 we might not of won the 3-peat.....

Im also still enjoying the 3-peat afterglow (though it is fading fast) enough to not get too worked up about results since.

So I don't have a submission to the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you go into a final without having to worry about Lloyd who was suspended then Hird and Mercuri spend most of the match on the bench due to injury (as well as Long but he was pretty much finished) you have nothing to be angry about. As for the umpiring Hawthorn won the count comfortably that day, something like 20-13. When the game was on the line a struggling & sore Essendon, who battled a large number of injuries though out the season, wanted it more, kicking 3 goals after Croad hit the post with a kick that could've put Hawthorn in front. Pretty gutsy effort all things considered.

But that's the point. We should've been able to win it, and weren't able to. That's what burns

That, and the less said about Goldspink and Cox's mark the better

This one burned quite well....

wewillburnthisstadiumdowntotheground.jpg

2002 GF vs Brisbane burns me still, great game close all day. Rocca seemed to have kicked a goal but went over the post so was called a behind, Fraser put us in front and I started to believe.

2003 GF vs Brisbane, we beat them two weeks prior and Rocca had to get reported for striking Lade. Jason Cloke played CHF and the rest is history

Obviously the 2005 GF would have to be the worst for me.

I don't know what I'd do if we'd lost in 2006. I don't think you could have set up a more tense finish, given that too.

Geelong's run of H&A wins post 08 never felt too pleasant. Was at most of them and in the Hawkins game, I didn't know the siren had gone (crazy crowd noise) and was expecting the ball to go back to the centre. Didn't know how to feel when I realised that was it.

2011 obviously burned at the time. In retrospect no one was going to beat Geelong in the GF that year but man to lose after that Franklin goal. Devastating.

I was gutted in 2000 when Sos tore the hammy off the bone in the semi-final. Thought Carlton were the only team capable of stopping the Essendon juggernaut that year and losing Sos made the improbable almost impossible.

Dixon's after the siren goal in the early 2000s against the Hawks burns too. And then when Fev hit the post to just go down to the Hawks later that decade was equally devastating.

Also that 2011 game vs West Coast
Still haven't forgiven you Nic Nat

Wouldn't be too sure of that, 19,5,31 were the margins Geelong won by that year, doubt Hawthorn would of won but it wouldn't of been a smashing.
And the qf we were on top till halfway through the 3rd, exactly like the prelim. Rekon we would have performed better than the pies they were cooked and did a remarkable job to be in it up to their eyeballs by 3 qtr time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back