Gay Supporter Group

Remove this Banner Ad

Better go back to the shallow end son, I think you're well out of your depth.

Pioneering Spirit is another core value, as is commitment and unity. There's 6 of 'em in total - and I'll leave it to you & your brains trust to work out the other 2.

And I got a chuckle out of your 'trying to be popular' sledge. :D Couldn't be further from the truth and have never been one to give a rats clacker about people's opinions of myself.

No problem Lidge, I understand your overwhelming need to justify yourself to me, I'm well used to it

Good on you Darwin Roo. I suggest you contact the club and get more information on what the board / club intends doing with next seasons membership packages for which I know there is going to be a Armchair membership (doesn't allow entry to games). A Gay Supporter group would be great. We need more backsides on empty seats on L1.

I'm actually surprised clubs don't promote / allocate a special membership package for the Gay community. The whole glamour calender thing... geez, the club is sitting on thier hands instead of giving something back to the fans. Money $pinner, gets more than your average disgruntled fan will give.

Not enough ppl at the club are bothering to think outside the square.:thumbsdown:

Good on you Darwin Roo. I suggest you contact the club and get more information on what the board / club intends doing with next seasons membership packages for which I know there is going to be a Armchair membership (doesn't allow entry to games). A Gay Supporter group would be great. We need more backsides on empty seats on L1.

I'm actually surprised clubs don't promote / allocate a special membership package for the Gay community. The whole glamour calender thing... geez, the club is sitting on thier hands instead of giving something back to the fans. Money $pinner, gets more than your average disgruntled fan will give.

Not enough ppl at the club are bothering to think outside the square.:thumbsdown:

Good luck from me too, DR. Don't forget, if you want support from the club, play down the "North Melbourne" references and emphasize the "Kangaroos".

Sad but true, I suspect.

Hey DarwinRoo did this ever go anywhere? I have been thinking of doing something and have some connections at North to start the discussion. Let me know if you want to continue the discussion offline or if there are other queer kangas supporters who are interested.

I wasn't around when this thread was up, probably shouldn't be surprised by some of the ignorant and insulting comments that this conversation brought about... doesn't make it anymore disappointing though.

It was a great idea then and it's a great idea now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, not big on the whole carving up the supporter base. Surely the common element is North Melbourne and if you share an interest, hobby or life experience with another fan that is just a personal thing. The question is when does it stop? Similar to the thoughts of a Rainbow round. Does every group get a day and if so, aren't we just segregating the supporters.

Unite as one, worry about the rest outside of the club.

What's the rationale for differentiating between supporters using personal characteristics? Sounds potentially less inclusive.

A great mate of mine has been North the vast majority of his life. It took me a solid 5 years of consistently telling him how great actually going was to get him to join up. Now he and his kids and his borther are members.

He has an Asian background andhas told me before felt he'd never fit with what he felt would be a predominately white (it is) crowd.

So perhaps having groups some people can identify with will break down some of the barriers that people percieve to being able to go to the footy.

I will ask him if there was an Asian Supporter group whether he would have felt more inclined to join up prior to my harrasment.

* Edit asked him and he said no it wouldn't have. SO WTF do I know.

Last edited:
What's the rationale for differentiating between supporters using personal characteristics? Sounds potentially less inclusive.
Or ... giving someone a way to fit in when they otherwise might feel marginalised ...

I couldn't posssibly presume to know what it's like to be a gay (or asian, or deaf, or disabled) footy supporter. If people want to hang out on the basis of having 2 things in common instead of 1, then great.

There's this:

Hi guys and gals.

What do you think about North having a gay supporters group?
If you have any ideas for a name or know of people who would be interested in joining then let me know.

It would be open for all GLBT members and supporters as well as gay-friendly straight people.

You can private message me if you want to stay discreet aswell.

That's technically everyone, unless someone chooses to not be friendly to people they know are gay or LGTBIQAOWIITD. (In which case I reckon they should grow up and stop being a jerk.) I don't have a problem with a gay supporters group and definitely support anyone wanting to start one. We have multicultural and Indigenous rounds of AFL. Fundamentally how is a gay supports group any different? I wouldn't feel less of a North Melbourne supporter or excluded from the club because one existed.

At the end of the day we are all the same, we are all human. Being gay, bi, trans or any other sexuality doesn't change that. Why do we (possibly) need to divide gay people from straight people when all love the same thing (the mighty NMFC)? When I go to North games, I treat all North fans like family which means I will hug, cry, high five and even kiss (kissing is saved for nail biting finals wins and GF wins) anyone!

Or ... giving someone a way to fit in when they otherwise might feel marginalised ...

I couldn't posssibly presume to know what it's like to be a gay (or asian, or deaf, or disabled) footy supporter. If people want to hang out on the basis of having 2 things in common instead of 1, then great.

The only way they would be marginalized is if they wear a bloody Bombers scarf!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back