New leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't matter, but I don't like it.

Jy I'm somewhat OK with although he does some stupid s**t, but LMac (as much as I like him) should not be captain, he doesn't demonstrate enough on field leadership to be captain.

What really struck me in the video, is that Clarko was there for the start, but then you don't see him after that. Not when Ray is talking, you don't see him when the players are voting, you don't see him when the results are revealed and the players congratulate each other, you don't see him when Todd is talking. I found this really odd that the coach wouldn't be present for such an important meeting to decide the player leadership.

Jy I'm somewhat OK with although he does some stupid s**t, but LMac (as much as I like him) should not be captain, he doesn't demonstrate enough on field leadership to be captain.

What really struck me in the video, is that Clarko was there for the start, but then you don't see him after that. Not when Ray is talking, you don't see him when the players are voting, you don't see him when the results are revealed and the players congratulate each other, you don't see him when Todd is talking. I found this really odd that the coach wouldn't be present for such an important meeting to decide the player leadership.
He’s there the whole time
Moves up the back next to Jen Watt after the start

Clarko was also not involved in the jumper presentation to the new players. It seems like his role has changed in a major way but nothing has been officially announced about it. I just wonder who is driving this change? The club or Clarko himself?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not even going to bother getting angry about LMac continuing on as captain.

Clarko signing off on that though?...

d5f80610-b451-4e25-b442-59f51db16269_text.gif
Doesn’t appear we got the ruthless version of Clarko that the hawks got
Hope I’m wrong

I've made my opinions clear regarding the co-captaincy and my preference for Larkey to become the sole captain of the side but how remarkable is it to see Sheezel part of the leadership group? That just shows you how elite his standards are and how driven he is to reach his absolute best and bring everyone else with him!

Really looking forward to 2024.
Agree, but also could think it’s says just as much about the existing quality of leaders as much as it does about sheezel
I mean LMac is captain again

Would prefer Jy fly solo but.. Luke is a really affable guy, courageous and gregarious.

He's probably the sort of leader within the group you're comfortable going to whether you're one of the kids or a seasoned veteran.

Not saying Jy isn't either but this isn't wtf in the "how did Ben McKay fall over and wake up with a leadership position?" sense.

Doesn’t appear we got the ruthless version of Clarko that the hawks got
Hope I’m wrong
Why because players you don't want to be captain are captains?

Vandenberg was Captain of Hawthorn for Clarko's first 3 seasons.

I find it really odd the votes are read out in public by the players. It screams of groupthink.
Imagine having a reasonable position that you don’t think McDonald’s form and onfield leadership warrants selection as captain but hearing every other player vote for him. You probably wouldn’t want to rock the boat. An anonymous vote would help facilitate the tough calls to be made.
We have too much talent to not turn this around but shying away from the tough decisions is going to prevent the team reaching its potential imo.
I get the players love Luke but he’s had one good year and last year was awful. Being affable doesn’t make you a leader.
Congrats to Sheezel and Larkey in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say the Leading Teams bloke left me feeling anything memorable or motivating. I know, I know, it's a 2 minute edited package and I'm not in the room etc. It's just my vibe/Mabo.

Referring to voting for the bloke you trust the most? Maybe the meaning of that was lost in the editing?

Sheez will be C in 2-3 seasons.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trust is one of the most important parts of leadership.

If people don't trust you why would they follow you or do what you ask.

I find it really odd the votes are read out in public by the players. It screams of groupthink.
Imagine having a reasonable position that you don’t think McDonald’s form and onfield leadership warrants selection as captain but hearing every other player vote for him. You probably wouldn’t want to rock the boat. An anonymous vote would help facilitate the tough calls to be made.
We have too much talent to not turn this around but shying away from the tough decisions is going to prevent the team reaching its potential imo.
I get the players love Luke but he’s had one good year and last year was awful. Being affable doesn’t make you a leader.
Congrats to Sheezel and Larkey in particular.
An anonymous vote goes against what Leading Teams & Clarkson expects of the players.

Direct feedback is encouraged, players are expected to speak up.

It enforces them to make the tough decisions themselves, not hide behind an anonymous vote.

Everyone makes mistakes, and second and even third chances are warranted etc. but I personally can’t trust Corr after witnessing him bitch slap Ollie lord in Tassie, right infront of ports goal, reversing a free kick we had.

That’s the opposite of what an older leader needs to do.

Edit: yet I saw ldu make first contact with the umps post siren against freo as they were being accosted by aggressive freo players. When he realised he shouldn’t be talking to the umps he got lmac who was too busy

1702637715064.png

Before ldu told him he had captain duties to attend to

An anonymous vote goes against what Leading Teams & Clarkson expects of the players.

Direct feedback is encouraged, players are expected to speak up.

It enforces them to make the tough decisions themselves, not hide behind an anonymous vote.
I can't imagine any player who isn't established and/or guaranteed another contract going "I don't think we're being led by the right people" in front of everyone especially as this opinion would have a slim majority of approval at best. Good luck with selection and being comfortable in the workplace after that. Sounds like career suicide.

I can't imagine any player who isn't established and/or guaranteed another contract going "I don't think we're being led by the right people" in front of everyone especially as this opinion would have a slim majority of approval at best. Good luck with selection and being comfortable in the workplace after that. Sounds like career suicide.
From memory in the video last year there were some varied opinions on who was best to lead.
Didn't seem like people were leaping out of their seats to go the biff over it.
Bit of a storm in a teacup

From memory in the video last year there were some varied opinions on who was best to lead.
And after the 2 win season that was they've been unanimously backed in again. It might be for the best but I'm not being unreasonable to be concerned with the process. 100% approval ratings are for dictatorships and school plays, not serious organisations looking to improve, especially when you've been underperforming for years on end.
Didn't seem like people were leaping out of their seats to go the biff over it.
What a nothing statement.
Bit of a storm in a teacup
I hope you're right.

Edit - I can't count!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back