New leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

agree but he would have to go exceptionally poorly (like worse than this year) to get dropped as captain imo

leadership group is easier to drop
I see LMac's role in the team as much about his performance as it is about other players pushing him out. Sheezel will pick up from where he left off last year, McKercher I think will be a revelation down back. I'm hoping Goater & Archer come on, Hardeman will get an opportunity at some point etc. Plenty of competition for spots down back, being Captain will only buy LMac so much time if he's performances don't warrant being best 22.

Last edited:
Voting numbers were interesting.

While players had McDonald and Simpkin neck and neck last year, there was a clear gap in this year's vote.

Simpkin, McDonald and Larky were the only players who received votes from everyone. But Simpkin was the clear favourite

Simpkin had 171 votes

McDonald had 145 votes

Larkey had 117 votes

While there was a big gap to next placed Bailey Scott's total votes, he did get votes from 30 of 36 players meaning there is almost universal recognition of his leadership at the club.

Baily Scott had 53 votes from 30 players

Another big drop off in votes to Corr and Harry Sheezel, but both widely recognised by their teammates with votes from half (or thereabouts) of the playing group ...

Aiden Corr had 28 votes from 18 players

Harry Sheezel got 22 votes from 16 players.

The drop off after that was steep.

Liam Shiels got 11 votes from 7 players

The only other guys to get votes were (in no particular order) LDU, Griff, X and Bull.

The best of that lot (sorry, I'm not sure who it was) got just 5 votes from 2 players.

And the remainder polled only 1 or 2 votes from just 1 player who voted for them.

Ok, so on what basis is McDonald rated so highly by contrast?

This is a group that has largely been extremely unsuccessful , accepted mediocre standards etc

Why then have the group select the leaders. Clarko , Viney and co need to take the lead on this.

That kind of set was probably ok at Hawthorn during Clarko’s time when you had 15 blokes who could be captain and a high performing and successful group.
I’m far from LMacs biggest fan, but f*** me, it’s pretty difficult to argue with, when the whole list votes for him and then Viney and Clarkson sign off on it.

I didn't think it would change much. Larkey as vice I thought would happen, good step in his leadership path which if we're honest the penny only really dropped this year for him if he turned up "unprepared". The leadership group will change over time and move on from LMac.

I like him but don't think LDU is cut out to be a leader just yet. I doubt he's vocal in meetings, training and games and can't see him being comfortable confronting and challenging teammates at this stage. Also he's probably not spent as much time around the group with his injuries (knock on wood) so perhaps he might be more visible to teammates.
Zurhaar I thought could've been a little bit higher, seemed like he wanted to be one who turned the ship around, so we'll see in time if his leadership and respect from the group develops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I’m just gonna ignore these things from now on. Because those votes just now and last year are clearly based around the ‘best clubman’ vibes…..rather than the best leader, player etc criteria.
Think you're wrong about the bolded part. Captains lead players. Ask those said players who they want to be led by and you shall have the best leader by default.

But force a leader onto the players and he'll struggle to lead as he won't have the support.

Finally, players respect each by the effort each puts in - far more than simply 'you're a better player than I' mentality.

Think you're wrong about the bolded part. Captains lead players. Ask those said players who they want to be led by and you shall have the best leader by default.

But force a leader onto the players and he'll struggle to lead as he won't have the support.

Finally, players respect each by the effort each puts in - far more than simply 'you're a better player than I' mentality.
Effort isn’t enough.

This is the AFL….everyone is trying.

The whole thing reeks….****ing annoying.

I'm not even going to bother getting angry about LMac continuing on as captain.

Clarko signing off on that though?...

d5f80610-b451-4e25-b442-59f51db16269_text.gif

I couldn’t care less about what LDU is doing, and whether or not he is a leader, he just needs to be a brownlow level player which is more than enough expectation on him.

I’m shocked that there isn’t enough uproar that LMac is captain again for a second year and the team, viney and Clarkson signed off on it.

I think I’m just gonna ignore these things from now on. Because those votes just now and last year are clearly based around the ‘best clubman’ vibes…..rather than the best leader, player etc criteria.

That's the issue. Who are young guys more likely to vote for - their close mates who are the nicest, laid back blokes who won't be on their arses to raise standards, or someone who isn't going to put up with bullshit? I think got our answer today.

Sheez in the group after just over a year in the system is a tribute to the quality of the guy!

My first thoughts are, what are the other 30ish blokes from season 23 not doing... time to lift and change mindset: i understand that leadership is not for everyone, but still interesting...

I feel pretty comfortable saying that as a whole the fans care more about our representative(s) being an on field gun than the players do. Our judgements on the outside are barely any better than surface level.

Voting numbers were interesting.

While players had McDonald and Simpkin neck and neck last year, there was a clear gap in this year's vote.

Simpkin, McDonald and Larky were the only players who received votes from everyone. But Simpkin was the clear favourite

Simpkin had 171 votes

McDonald had 145 votes

Larkey had 117 votes

While there was a big gap to next placed Bailey Scott's total votes, he did get votes from 30 of 36 players meaning there is almost universal recognition of his leadership at the club.

Baily Scott had 53 votes from 30 players

Another big drop off in votes to Corr and Harry Sheezel, but both widely recognised by their teammates with votes from half (or thereabouts) of the playing group ...

Aiden Corr had 28 votes from 18 players

Harry Sheezel got 22 votes from 16 players.

The drop off after that was steep.

Liam Shiels got 11 votes from 7 players

The only other guys to get votes were (in no particular order) LDU, Griff, X and Bull.

The best of that lot (sorry, I'm not sure who it was) got just 5 votes from 2 players.

And the remainder polled only 1 or 2 votes from just 1 player who voted for them.

Great post, votes tell a tale and a half. The top 2 titles were shared between the 3 highest vote getters, all whom were given a vote by everyone else, and I'd suggest the reason we went with 2 captains rather than 2 vice captains is because the footy department felt Jy and Luke did a great job last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back