New leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust is one of the most important parts of leadership.

Most modern leadership theroy that I’ve read boils down to this as the starring point.

Richmond won 3 flags by adopting Brene Brown leadership stuff which trust and vulnerability are the absolute core of her approach.

If one was to step back a touch and look at the 90s team. We very much had a command and control coach.

We also had a playing group that would give each other direct feedback where trust was a core of what they put together. They probably couldn’t have articulated it that way though. It’s also why it broke so hard when the trust was breached.

Most modern leadership theroy that I’ve read boils down to this as the starring point.

Richmond won 3 flags by adopting Brene Brown leadership stuff which trust and vulnerability are the absolute core of her approach.

If one was to step back a touch and look at the 90s team. We very much had a command and control coach.

We also had a playing group that would give each other direct feedback where trust was a core of what they put together. They probably couldn’t have articulated it that way though. It’s also why it broke so hard when the trust was breached.
The thing with direct feedback, is it only works if it comes from someone who delivers on field at all times.

I’d hazard a guess, that copping a spray from Luke McDonald for various errors, be it skill or position related would have very little impact because of his exploits.

The thing with direct feedback, is it only works if it comes from someone who delivers on field at all times.

I’d hazard a guess, that copping a spray from Luke McDonald for various errors, be it skill or position related would have very little impact because of his exploits.
This is perhaps true for immature and disrespectful people who are only prepared to take orders from someone with demonstrably better skills than themselves. These same types of people would not take instructions from a coach who didn't win premierships or All Australian honours as a player and was only a journeyman footballer. Clarko for instance.

It also fails to account for a vital factor in leadership and in commanding respect, which is interpersonal relationships.

The last thing that you want in a team is secrets and people talking behind each others back. Have everything out in the open.

If a young player is scared to vote honestly and ends up with a captain that he doesn't want then next time he should face that fear. Its a lot better than whispers, rumours and mistrust.

This voting approach is an exercise in open dialogue and setting the tone for what is expected.

We hear stories about guys like Sheezel speaking up to experienced players like McKay last year and now he is in leadership. Maybe that culture is built on this sort of approach.

The last thing that you want in a team is secrets and people talking behind each others back. Have everything out in the open.

If a young player is scared to vote honestly and ends up with a captain that he doesn't want then next time he should face that fear. Its a lot better than whispers, rumours and mistrust.

This voting approach is an exercise in open dialogue and setting the tone for what is expected.

We hear stories about guys like Sheezel speaking up to experienced players like McKay last year and now he is in leadership. Maybe that culture is built on this sort of approach.
That’s fair. I thought anonymous would be better but this makes sense.

This is perhaps true for immature and disrespectful people who are only prepared to take orders from someone with demonstrably better skills than themselves. These same types of people would not take instructions from a coach who didn't win premierships or All Australian honours as a player and was only a journeyman footballer. Clarko for instance.

It also fails to account for a vital factor in leadership and in commanding respect, which is interpersonal relationships.
Clarko has won four flags as a coach. He has earnt the right to be respected. He’s climbed the mountain and knows what it takes. It’s why Noble was a catastrophic failure. The bloke demanded respect with no history to back it up.

Sheezel had one of the best first years the club has ever seen. He commands respect for his on field efforts. He runs himself into the ground.

The on field leadership of this club has been a complete black hole for so long. We’ve won 11 games in four years.

There needs to be significant change.

Interesting players picking the Captain/s.

I'm not sure a Coach should vacate that space - especially a bloke who's won 4 flags.

Pagan asserted himself and elevated
Wayne Carey.

I wonder how he would have fared in a vote as a 21 year old against some of the older, more established players running around at that time.

Congrats to Bailey and sheez

Interesting they actually read out their picks

Would rather the coaches picked the captain
Same. I think with the right coaches, they'd be able to pick the players that have the leadership qualities and know the players that will step up with the added responsibility... Previously Goldy, now zurhaar and LDU are players that clearly can influence the team with only a few passages of play.

I remember a clip of arch talking about how Carey would inspire teammates and demoralize (even the forward line) of the opposition when he'd kick 2 quick goals or take a couple of massive marks

Votes from players just reminds me of a popularity contest.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree to a degree about dilution of message when feedback is coming from a source that has its own flaws.

However I’ll also say that there is a weight associated to leadership.

Being a good leader in a poor team is a hard gig.

I see the current incumbents as carrying the mantle until the club is in a position to hand it to blokes who are able to have the high end and not melt under the weight of it.

Same. I think with the right coaches, they'd be able to pick the players that have the leadership qualities and know the players that will step up with the added responsibility... Previously Goldy, now zurhaar and LDU are players that clearly can influence the team with only a few passages of play.

I remember a clip of arch talking about how Carey would inspire teammates and demoralize (even the forward line) of the opposition when he'd kick 2 quick goals or take a couple of massive marks

Votes from players just reminds me of a popularity contest.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Most of the list wouldn’t know quality leadership even if it kicked a footy fair and square into their face.

In my view, the #1 job of a captain is to inspire their teammates to be better based on their actions. A focal point to look at and make you want to achieve greatness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the list wouldn’t know quality leadership even if it kicked a footy fair and square into their face.

In my view, the #1 job of a captain is to inspire their teammates to be better based on their actions. A focal point to look at and make you want to achieve greatness.

Didn’t Clarko have Richie Vandenberg as captain as the Hawks were rebuilding?

Clarko has won four flags as a coach. He has earnt the right to be respected. He’s climbed the mountain and knows what it takes. It’s why Noble was a catastrophic failure. The bloke demanded respect with no history to back it up.

Sheezel had one of the best first years the club has ever seen. He commands respect for his on field efforts. He runs himself into the ground.

The on field leadership of this club has been a complete black hole for so long. We’ve won 11 games in four years.

There needs to be significant change.
There was significant change a year ago. Are you saying that Jy and Lmac got just one year to turn things around, and because they couldn't manage it within your time frame, they have to go? What about Clarko and Viney? Are you firing them too?

Also, on the basis that Clarko's respect only comes from winning premierships as a coach, do you think Chris Fagan warrants no respect from the Brisbane players? Because that's clearly not the case. I wonder what it could be that has all the Brisbane players respecting Fagan. Perhaps it's his relationship with them and the way he encourages and nurtures their talents and self confidence. I wonder if these sorts of leadership skills could apply to a captain as well. And I wonder if Luke McDonald might offer such skills.

There is no one at the club currently that screams top shelf, A grade captain and leader of men in the mould of Selwood, Hodge, Pendlebury, Voss etc. Sheezel maybe in 4-5 years time. Don’t burden him too early in a struggling side. Probably right to stay with Luke and Jy combo this season as it’s not a good look to chop and your change captain philosophy after just a season. Looks amateurish for me. If Jy has a blinder next season keep him on solo for a few more years otherwise give it to Larkey in 2025.

There was significant change a year ago. Are you saying that Jy and Lmac got just one year to turn things around, and because they couldn't manage it within your time frame, they have to go? What about Clarko and Viney? Are you firing them too?

Also, on the basis that Clarko's respect only comes from winning premierships as a coach, do you think Chris Fagan warrants no respect from the Brisbane players? Because that's clearly not the case. I wonder what it could be that has all the Brisbane players respecting Fagan. Perhaps it's his relationship with them and the way he encourages and nurtures their talents and self confidence. I wonder if these sorts of leadership skills could apply to a captain as well. And I wonder if Luke McDonald might offer such skills.
I’m saying that those two have been at the club during one of the shittest of periods this club has produced since Franz Ferdinand was assasinated. In my view, we needed to import someone as a captain figurehead who has the runs on the board, because none of our blokes had been near it or know what it takes (Liam Shiels notwithstanding). Luke appears to be everyone’s mate. Jy looks to train his ring off. Neither to me scream ‘follow me, I’ll show you what it takes’ on field.

Fagan has won nothing. Nil. Zilch.

It’s like saying Brad Scott was a good leader because he made a couple of prelims and knew his was around a property portfolio.

Trust is one of the most important parts of leadership.

If people don't trust you why would they follow you or do what you ask.

Yeah I get that Ferb's, but the bloke I trust the most at the club may not be the best leader/Captain.

Maybe it was in the context of "vote for the bloke you trust most with leading the club." I most likely have misinterpreted.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There does exist the potential for blokes to abstain from expressing their true feelings because that'll make them stand out from the pack, but I doubt it's had much of an impact. It seems a healthy group to me.

The views that have informed the players' votes are far more organically formed than any opinion anyone on here could spout, as the players actually have personal interactions with and witness firsthand the behaviour of all their teammates.

Maybe some on here should hold off on the criticism and accept that LDU not being voted in in place of McDonald does not necessarily indicate a flawed voting process

Remove this Banner Ad

Back