Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's possible when sprinting. Average stride length for a long distance runner is up around the 1.5m mark or above depending on the person, for sprinters it can go well over 2m.
I was (guess)working 1.5m/step, so 20-22m which is too far anyway.
Funny thing: if the call was made in the first 1/4, it'd go unnoticed. Last few minutes events in close games are always high drama, but people forget about the previous events.

What is comical/ridiculous is how "running too far" became The Rule of the Round after the Crows loss, which is the AFL/Umps saying "Nuthin to see here, move on". Jeez, they're pi$$weak.
If someone breaks away from a pack at a full sprint and they are fast they could be expected to bounce the ball every 6-7 paces in order to not give away a free kick, which reduces the value of running free with the ball, something which creates memorable highlights.
Harley Reid did exactly that yesterday; very exciting, great goal:

Running too far is one of those things that is, as a spectator and a player, pretty easy to spot when you're watching live. That's based on decades of watching football and viewing how a rule has been adjudicated very consistently over a long period of time.

It didn't even cross my mind watching it live that the free was to do with holding the ball. None of the commentators guessed it either.

Strange time to bust out an iffy one.
Agree.
I was there on the true wing so saw it close up.
My first reaction was it was an amazing break away from the stoppage followed by an amazing sprint to space. There were minor shouts of "too far" but the majority of the crowd did not think that as Izak kicked. My own thoughts were of disappointment the kick wasn't more central where attacking had more options for us.
Once we became aware of the whistle there was a second or two of confusion followed by cheers and then laughter about the free kick. Collingwood fans were noticeably relieved they'd dodged a bullet. They were understandably happy but there was a strange "Draper" vibe as they filed out of the ground.

I'm sick of losing at the G. I've seen this movie so many times it's no longer a surprise. Worse still, it's become expected. We are light years from a premiership until we can make this ground a competitive location. Maybe we should sell a home game or two each year to play there often enough to solve our problem there. Two "losses" per year is of zero benefit to us in pursuit of a flag.

This will not be popular:
I understand why many supporters and BF posters are aggrieved by 1) the free not paid to Dawson vs Pies and 2) the point-that-was-a-goal vs Sydney last year, also 3) the Draper fall-on-the-ball non-free vs Essendon and 4) the latest run-too-far free against Rankine.

I'll be honest; at the time, I was furious myself, seriously pi$$ed off, but with time some common sense has to prevail.

The last one 4) is easiest to accept, because we saw what happened afterwards
ie Rankine's kick went to congestion, a pack formed and there's no evidence that we would definitely have goaled from it in the final seconds.
Likewise with 1) and 3) --- had the free been paid, there's no guarantee a goal would have resulted. Think how often players from all Clubs miss easy shots; McKay missed from about 10m dead in front vs. Sydney this Round.

The Sydney fiasco? Well, it was a goal and the Goal Ump got it wrong, badly wrong :poov1: :grimacing: (but his very human mistake did not deserve the hate and death threats he copped afterwards).
Even so, there was time enough for Sydney to have goaled from the resultant centre bounce and won the game anyway. We have form for losing in those last 90 seconds.
Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.

If you got this far, what am I saying?

Under Nicks, the Crows find themselves in close positions in the last few minutes, often, and lose them more often than not. It happens too often to be bad luck. It's a trend.
Look at the last (Collingwood) game:
--- they started slowly, got 3 goals down, had to fight back.
--- they got 5 goals down, had to fight back.
--- in the last, they were 18 down with 18mins on the clock, had to fight back, again.

Earlier in game, at least 3 Crows players missed very kickable set-shot goals.
It's their inability in those pressure, must-kick-this moments to close out that cost us that game.
Kick all 3 (win by 11), or 2 of them (win by 6) , or even only one (win by a point) and the Rankine incident becomes irrelevant.

Life/fate/the world/the AFL is not ganging up on us. Non-Melbourne-based teams still win Flags (14 since 1997, our first).
The Crows create those crises, albeit inadvertantly, by just not being good enough to close out close games.

We don't "deserve" to have better; Flag-winning teams make their own luck.
The Crows need to be better. :shoutyoldman:

Weather was mint, row B on level 1 was a great spot. Nothing beats the MCG.

Rankine and Dawson are pure, unadulerated class.

Pies fans aren't actually that bad and not even in the worst 5 supporter bases.

Thought Hamill from the eye looked decent.

Both of Murphy and McHenry suck but Murphy is about 15x better. (15x0 is still 0).

Laird and Smith, good servants, the cliff has come.

Ruckman is the least important position on the field but it's unforgiveable how much ROB sucks and hasn't actually made any inroads in actually looking or playing like a semi-decent footballer. That kicking action is horrific.

I understand why many supporters and BF posters are aggrieved by 1) the free not paid to Dawson vs Pies and 2) the point-that-was-a-goal vs Sydney last year, also 3) the Draper fall-on-the-ball non-free vs Essendon and 4) the latest run-too-far free against Rankine.

I'll be honest; at the time, I was furious myself, seriously pi$$ed off, but with time some common sense has to prevail.

ie Rankine's kick went to congestion, a pack formed and there's no evidence that we would definitely have goaled from it in the final seconds.
Likewise with 1) and 3) --- had the free been paid, there's no guarantee a goal would have resulted. Think how often players from all Clubs miss easy shots; McKay missed from about 10m dead in front vs. Sydney this Round.

The Sydney fiasco? Well, it was a goal and the Goal Ump got it wrong, badly wrong :poov1: :grimacing: (but his very human mistake did not deserve the hate and death threats he copped afterwards).
Even so, there was time enough for Sydney to have goaled from the resultant centre bounce and won the game anyway. We have form for losing in those last 90 seconds.

Under Nicks, the Crows find themselves in close positions in the last few minutes, often, and lose them more often than not. It happens too often to be bad luck. It's a trend.
--- in the last, they were 18 down with 18mins on the clock, had to fight back, again.

It's their inability in those pressure, must-kick-this moments to close out that cost us that game.
Kick all 3 (win by 11), or 2 of them (win by 6) , or even only one (win by a point) and the Rankine incident becomes irrelevant.

Life/fate/the world/the AFL is not ganging up on us. Non-Melbourne-based teams still win Flags (14 since 1997, our first).
The Crows create those crises, albeit inadvertantly, by just not being good enough to close out close games.

Look I basically agree, and suspect most others here will feel the same way but for me.
1. I want my team to be a lot better. This is first and foremost.
2. A long way behind, but still relevant is that I want my team to not continually be screwed over. Screwed over by rule inconsistencies that only apply negatively to us, by the draw, by cooked up father/son and academy rules that the league changes to suit who is coming through in a given year.

So yeah, first thing is the club should control what it can control, but it’s hard not to be jaded after decades of getting ****ed by the league.

they often say if you keep doing the same thing you will often end up with the same result. This is the definition of insanity Daicos has been their best player against us in most of the games over the last few years. It was criminal that the coaching group did not have a hard tag on him from first bounce. I would have put Dawson on him as i think he has the intelligence to cut off Daicos lanes. Daicos got the ball out to Pendelbury and others in the first qr and in the end this was a major reason for the loss. Nicks and VB need to be challenged on this lack of strategy.

One of the other major reasons we lose games like this is that we do not have enough gun players and players we can rely on to make good decisions when under the pump or when it is close. I never trust ROB, Keays, Murphy, Ned, Laird, Butts, Smith now, Laird now, Pedlar, and even players like Hinge and Rachelle at times to do the team thing or make the right call. They will fumble, or take the wrong option, or miskick, or take too long to make a decision and get caught with the ball. When they do the right thing i am often pleasantly surprised, but it is the outlier and not the trend. Collingwood have these types of players but they have more footballers who make the right call at the critical time - Sidebottom, Daicos bros, Quanor, Moore, Pendlebury, Maynard etc. We need to replace a number of these players with players with good skills and football acumen. Cook is the former Soligo is the latter. It is only in this way we will improve. This is why i like Taylor - now fit he covers the ground well and has football intel. Nank also has the ability to think his way out of trouble and will only get better with confidence and continuity.

We must also improve our overhead marking capability. We kicked it down the line and even blind freddy can see that with the talls we have over the ground this was playing into Collingwood's hands. We need to change the angles and this is where Soligo is the key and Taylor likewise and Ryan has this ability in spades. They can do this.

If we want to kick high into the forward line we need to get some players who can take marks into the side. Thilthorpe has been a real loss here not so much in the last 30m to goal but on the wing where he often did his best marking work. Tex has never been good at contested marking and it is also not Fogs strength. I hoped that Squiggles would be that player but he has not come on to date. I would play Curtin at half back as he is another that can take take a mark and has that ability to change direction and turn defence into attack. I would have played him there in the ressies first to get confidence and then when more assured give him tougher jobs on the talls.

Its time too to end the Tex in ruck experiment in the forward 50. He has lost some of his core strength and is no longer getting first use of the ball and kicking goals or feeding off to others. In fact opp ruckmen are now using this contest to quickly get balls to their players and move the ball out of the forward half. He also now needs to play closer to goal. He looks to have lost a yard or two of pace and is being outrun and outmaneuvered to a degree i have not seen for some time on a number of occasions. He is still out most reliable forward but even champions like him cannot go on forever.

Cook is improving week on week as well.

Funny that
Credit to us for not dropping him (again) or subbing him. Investing a few games, riding out some flat spots. Hopefully he can keep building and deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weather was mint, row B on level 1 was a great spot. Nothing beats the MCG.

Rankine and Dawson are pure, unadulerated class.

Pies fans aren't actually that bad and not even in the worst 5 supporter bases.

Thought Hamill from the eye looked decent.

Both of Murphy and McHenry suck but Murphy is about 15x better. (15x0 is still 0).

Laird and Smith, good servants, the cliff has come.

Ruckman is the least important position on the field but it's unforgiveable how much ROB sucks and hasn't actually made any inroads in actually looking or playing like a semi-decent footballer. That kicking action is horrific.
Watched a bit of Footy Furnace last night and they showed the stats for Marshall v Jackson, they are both effectively another midfielder with their clearances, contested possessions and disposals.

We are stuck with an unco who can’t mark, win a clearance and can’t kick. We have to find another ruckman for next year, he’s diabolically bad.

I disagree with some points but the general point is very valid. We keep finding ourselves in these positions. Less than a goal down in the last minute.

In most cases, we have clawed back after being way behind (our fault), or already been in the lead late in the quarter and gave up a goal (our fault).

Hate him or dislike him, Kane Cornes pointed this out on Sunday and put the blowtorch on our leadership group. While leading, Rob had 2 **** ups in our forward line, then Keays ignores all the free players to try a miracle goal which gets smothered and ping pongs straight down the other end for the game winner.

In all of our last 4 games against Collingwood, we have had the lead at some point during the last quarter. Twice we were in the lead with <3 minutes to go. Yet we already find ourselves behind when these decisions occur. That's what needs to be looked at inside the club.

Watched a bit of Footy Furnace last night and they showed the stats for Marshall v Jackson, they are both effectively another midfielder with their clearances, contested possessions and disposals.

We are stuck with an unco who can’t mark, win a clearance and can’t kick. We have to find another ruckman for next year, he’s diabolically bad.
Yep.

It’s the least important spot but he has negative impact.

I’d rather play one short.

Cook is improving week on week as well.

Funny that
He is one of the very few who doesn't just hack kick or play it safe by kicking long to a contest. When he has the ball he often looks to go inside through the corridor or can hit up a leading player in the forward 50. He has very good vision with ball in hand.

Last edited:
Rob is always miles in the clear because he is zero threat with ball in hand and opposition sweat on us giving him the ball.

Every time he gets used, he receives, stops, panics, ignores all handball options, then does spinning snap kick 15 metres to the opposition.

Infuriating.

How has no one tried to correct his kicking? It is disgustingly bad.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

First time I watched Rakine play live, What an elite player. Geez his exceptional. Special mention to TEX, I just love this guy.

Now that the dust has settled. When ever the result is decided by less than a kick, it could have gone either way. Last year in Adelaide, Johnston shoud have been paid a free kick in the goal square when he was grabbed high over the shoulder by an Adelaide player, It wasn't paid. Same goes for the Dawson free at the MCG which was missed and could have potential put Adelaide in front.
We lost a GF to a contraversal free kick that resulting in the winning goal in 2018. No one had any issue with that.
I see the last two games from a different angle, We gave up a 5 goal lead twice against the Crows at the MCG. Last year the Crows kicked 7 goals to none or one in the 3rd quarter to hit the lead at 3/4 time. That's more of a concern to me as pies supporter.
I think Adelaide is a class team. The season isn't over, there is a long long way to go.

I agree. However I am confused , though I rarely post. If Fox lab is correct Izak ran 24.2 meters without bouncing , according to the commentators he took 14 steps. My simple maths suggests each stride is 1.7 meters long. Where have I gone wrong and is this anatomically possible?

Unfortunately it is possible. Out on the limit but Usain Bolt takes 41 strides to complete the 100 metres (2.44 stride).

Now Bolt's 1/2 foot taller than Rankine so both Fox and the commentators are probably right.

What is frustrating is the league allows blatant throws to clear congestion yet something that is relatively spectacular gets pulled up. Umpires have no feel for the dramatic.

Nonetheless, the game was once again lost at selection and in the coaches' box.

Credit to us for not dropping him (again) or subbing him. Investing a few games, riding out some flat spots. Hopefully he can keep building and deliver.
Just want to see a bit of "eye of the tiger" from Cooky.

He's got all the tools, he just needs to know he's good enough and act like it.

It's actually quite criminal of us to not have someone coming through in that position, given we also clearly don't rate Strachan at all. Where is our up and coming kid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back