Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing thats getting on my nerves is people blaming the umpires for our loss.

Bouncing the ball is one of the most basic skills of the game. Rankine should have bounced the ball. There is no ifs or buts. I get its an inconsistently called rule thats why we see players run over all the time but that is literally no excuse. He had time to keep running, he had time to bounce the ball. It is entirely Rankine's fault he got called. By running over, you are gambling with the call. As a player he would have known. Should have, could have, but didn't.
Rankine lack of bouncing the ball was not the reason for our loss nor the umpires call.

It was once again we didn't have enough players who knew how to ice the game once we hit the lead. Too many made poor decisions when the game was on the line.

One thing thats getting on my nerves is people blaming the umpires for our loss.

Bouncing the ball is one of the most basic skills of the game. Rankine should have bounced the ball. There is no ifs or buts. I get its an inconsistently called rule thats why we see players run over all the time but that is literally no excuse. He had time to keep running, he had time to bounce the ball. It is entirely Rankine's fault he got called. By running over, you are gambling with the call. As a player he would have known. Should have, could have, but didn't.

Absolutely. We screw it up ourselves without the needing to blame someone else.

People need to accept we screwed the pooch ourselves.

This article says all we need to know - in pressure situations some individuals can’t handle it and don’t think

I'm pretty sure they said Adelaide.
Just Googled; plenty of articles online confirming it.
Yeo has played 37 games in last 3 years (injuries), wtf?

Why don't they just work on Curtin instead? Many good years ahead of him.

Our list profile is a disaster. We have hardly any quality experience in the 80-150 so are desperately throwing money at any quality players to come here

We have no shortage of money, looking to move on from the draft and are struggling to get targets to come

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone seen the big screen at training? Surely this is the week you’d scrutinise what we could do better or is it only there for feel good moments?
Perhaps repeat late in the game several times to watch what we did wrong so we don't repeat the same decision errors again

Watch what the Pies do.

Good:
Ah... The umpiring was pretty good all day, barely any free kicks given. The running too far thing was annoying but we had 9 seconds to not fumble or handball to a stationary player, no chance at kicking a goal there.

Bad:
Once again, were in a football game where we give away strings of goals to the opposition without reply.
Gold Coast 4 <- won them the game
Geelong 4 twice <- won them the game
Freo 5 <-- won them the game
Melbourne 4 <--- won them the game
Lions 5 <--- went from 2 down to 3 goals up, drawing them the game
Collingwood 6 <--- won them the game.

Were continually behind and scrapping our way back in these games. Why are we so defensive? It doesn't work, as soon as we play balls to the wall we look great but the complete lack of bravery and this "long down the line" garbage is infuriating. Its just the most predictable rubbish for a team which has a very limited and slower midfield (barring one player) where as soon as the ball exits the contest its whisked away with no pressure at speed.

O'Brien, Himmelberg, Fogarty and Tex aren't the players to mark those, Nicks would win a flag with McKay and Curnow in the side.

Ugly:
Rankine doing his hamstring, we will probably still win the next 3 and give ourselves the false sense of hope in a season where 13 wins probably wont give you a finals spot. The rest of the season should be playing kids, putting Laird to half back where he belongs, having Smith captain the SANFL side, playing Rachele in the midfield more, looking for a new forwards coach and getting some godfather offers out there.

What a complete waste of a season, we have developed nobody, gone nowhere and will probably finish 10th or something stupid to give us rubbish picks we will waste on flankers who get 11 touches a game in perpetuity.

Perhaps repeat late in the game several times to watch what we did wrong so we don't repeat the same decision errors again

Watch what the Pies do.
Yep, we were very lucky we held on against Carlton. Listened to the end of the game against Carlton and I think it was Rowey when Keays had the ball said find a player, Milera screams out “no go long”. Which is what we did, turned it over and Keane had to take a game saving mark as Carlton attacked.

Against Brisbane they were deep into attack when the game ended.

We clearly don’t know how to close off a game, our record indicates that. That’s coaching.

Thought the same.

Imagine ROB with the game on his boot.
The game technically wouldn't have been. We were in front. He just needed to ice 30 seconds off the clock while our forward line sets up to lock it in.

Hindsight of course, but surely any of those players missing a shot at goal is still a better result than an immediate smother-deflection-goal against.

I was stoned while watching this one, so feeling really laid back & lovey dovey.

When Murph kicked his goal, I thought: "You ripper Murph! Maybe I'm too harsh on you, you've done well today."

Then the commentator immediately said "That's his first goal for the year"

And I laughed for 5 minutes straight before getting sad about that

Reported on CH.7 tonight, Club has made a play for Yeo (OOC end of 2024), tempting him with a 3-year deal.
Are they allowed to do that while he's still contracted?

190cms/88Kgs, Yeo is 31 in October; best years 2018-19 when he made AA.

Here's a photo of Curtin when he found out ==> :grimacing:

Are we throwing money at everyone in the AFL or are they making half this shit up because they know we won't bite? Why would we be chasing Yeo?

This article says all we need to know - in pressure situations some individuals can’t handle it and don’t think

When the The Roar start doing actual intelligent content? I thought all they did was cut out a highlight clip and get some bozo to do a creepy voiceover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rank O’Briens play on as the worst decision of the lot. Because he actually took a mark so had time to consider his options. But didn’t.

I rank O’Briens play on as the worst decision of the lot. Because he actually took a mark so had time to consider his options. But didn’t.
I don't know what we're training for in regards to holding a lead, but I hope that ain't it. The article does a great job of pointing out every instance where we just needed to take an extra breath but instead we were playing like we were half a goal down. There's a time and a place to keep the ball moving at all costs, but 2 points up with 3 minutes to go at the MCG isn't one of them.

My problem with both the ROB and Keays moments isn't just that they occurred, but it is what I would expect to occur when both players are involved at the death. We should endeavour not to find ourselves in those close positions, but they will happen and when they do we can't continue to afford to have players who show repeated poor decisions after all these years in the system. I have no faith that either can be coached out of their instincts by this point.

My problem with both the ROB and Keays moments isn't just that they occurred, but it is what I would expect to occur when both players are involved at the death.
Bingo. Of course Rob will fall on his arse when trying to snap a goal from 50. Of course Keays will ignore everyone and try a miracle goal.

It's not quite the same but it reminds of Sando's (I think) mantra of "Under pressure we don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our standards."

Those are the standards for those players. When the heat is on they will revert to type. And our Achilles heel is that we have far too many players you want nowhere near the ball in the last 3 minutes of a close game.

I don't know what we're training for in regards to holding a lead, but I hope that ain't it. The article does a great job of pointing out every instance where we just needed to take an extra breath but instead we were playing like we were half a goal down. There's a time and a place to keep the ball moving at all costs, but 2 points up with 3 minutes to go at the MCG isn't one of them.
Remember Craigs backward passes in close games. And how good it felt to have a plan for the last 2 minutes

Different days. Happier times

My problem with both the ROB and Keays moments isn't just that they occurred, but it is what I would expect to occur when both players are involved at the death. We should endeavour not to find ourselves in those close positions, but they will happen and when they do we can't continue to afford to have players who show repeated poor decisions after all these years in the system. I have no faith that either can be coached out of their instincts by this point.

The club will act shocked when players like this let you down in finals.

Yep, we were very lucky we held on against Carlton. Listened to the end of the game against Carlton and I think it was Rowey when Keays had the ball said find a player, Milera screams out “no go long”. Which is what we did, turned it over and Keane had to take a game saving mark as Carlton attacked.

Against Brisbane they were deep into attack when the game ended.

We clearly don’t know how to close off a game, our record indicates that. That’s coaching.
Conversely we did pepper the Bombers defensive 50 in the dying stages but that was more the exception than the norm

Soooooo... 2 of the biggest mistakes were from our Vice-Captains?? Keays and ROB.
Kane Cornes is a twerp but he made a point of mentioning that the mistakes were coming from the leadership group. I'm sure it'll be ignored internally but any external heat on our leadership choices is a good thing.

Bingo. Of course Rob will fall on his arse when trying to snap a goal from 50. Of course Keays will ignore everyone and try a miracle goal.

It's not quite the same but it reminds of Sando's (I think) mantra of "Under pressure we don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our standards."

Those are the standards for those players. When the heat is on they will revert to type. And our Achilles heel is that we have far too many players you want nowhere near the ball in the last 3 minutes of a close game.

It’s also about knowing when and when not to be ruthless with players.

The time to be ruthless is when it comes to qualities that can’t be taught.

You don’t have to be ruthless about things like effort, intensity, tackling, chasing, blocking, spoiling, shepherding….all the stuff a player like Keays is good at.

Don’t get me wrong. That stuff is ultra important, you can’t have team success without it. But it can be taught. To any idiot!

You don’t cast aside a player that doesn’t do that stuff, you teach him and then you demand it from him.

But the qualities of poise, decision-making and skill under pressure on both sides of your body are baked into the cake once a player is 18 and certainly once he reaches AFL level.

If you’re not ruthless about recruiting players with these inherent traits, and you’re also not ruthless about weeding out those who don’t have them, you’re not doing ruthless the right way.

The Crows haven’t done it the right way for a long time.

Kane Cornes is a twerp but he made a point of mentioning that the mistakes were coming from the leadership group. I'm sure it'll be ignored internally but any external heat on our leadership choices is a good thing.
When your leadership group includes players like Smith, Keays, ROB and Murphy, it's no surprise to see at least one of these guys making a crucial error late in games.
Half the leadership group are whipping boys, throw in Fog, Hinge and Milera who at times can be very inconsistent, it's a very uninspiring group.

It’s also about knowing when and when not to be ruthless with players.

The time to be ruthless is when it comes to qualities that can’t be taught.

You don’t have to be ruthless about things like effort, intensity, tackling, chasing, blocking, spoiling, shepherding….all the stuff a player like Keays is good at.

Don’t get me wrong. That stuff is ultra important, you can’t have team success without it. But it can be taught. To any idiot!

You don’t cast aside a player that doesn’t do that stuff, you teach him and then you demand it from him.

But the qualities of poise, decision-making and skill under pressure on both sides of your body are baked into the cake once a player is 18 and certainly once he reaches AFL level.

If you’re not ruthless about recruiting players with these inherent traits, and you’re also not ruthless about weeding out those who don’t have them, you’re not doing ruthless the right way.

The Crows haven’t done it the right way for a long time.
Exactly.

When you look at a young Pendlebury, or better yet our own Max, you weren't waiting for a sign that they were cool under pressure despite their inexperience. It was visible from the moment they stepped into the side. Those were traits already existing by the time they made it into the AFL system.

Conversely, one of Dangerfield's biggest flaws is his inability to cool his jets for a few steps prior to delivering into the forward 50, leading to many wasted centre clearances. It was a problem at the start of his Crows career and it has remained ever since. That is just his baked in instinct which you can only hope to unravel.

I'm happy to be proven wrong when it comes to unravelling those instincts, of course.

I'd add that every side relies upon role-players which the likes of Keays is. But relying upon players with poor decision-making is another thing entirely. Carry too many of those and you'll not only lose close games, but you'll lose finals when the pressure is turned right up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back