C: Holmes Dangerfield Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
R: Stanley Bruhn Guthrie
I: Atkins, Parfitt, Bowes Dempsey
Sub: Rohan

Emg: O'Connor, Touhy, Conway

• I see Rohan as a super-sub who can impact the game against tired legs
  • O'Connor might squeeze out Atkins if a full side is healthy on current form. And longer term Parfitt may regress to the mean a little bit and lose his spot (Parfitt doesn't have a lot of position flex) but the way he's playing he can't be taken out.
  • O'Connor and Touhy likely find a way to play every week with rotation/resting of the over 30's. Same thing with Conway (to a lesser extent). I think Conway plays 6-12 games with 15-20 games for Stanley.

I'm sure this thread exists somewhere else but for me:

B: Kolo SDk Z.Guthrie
HB: Duncan J.Henry Stewart
C: Holmes Dangerfield Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
R: Stanley Bruhn Guthrie
I: Atkins, Parfitt, Bowes Dempsey
Sub: Rohan

Emg: O'Connor, Touhy, Conway

• I see Rohan as a super-sub who can impact the game against tired legs
  • O'Connor might squeeze out Atkins if a full side is healthy on current form. And longer term Parfitt may regress to the mean a little bit and lose his spot (Parfitt doesn't have a lot of position flex) but the way he's playing he can't be taken out.
  • O'Connor and Touhy likely find a way to play every week with rotation/resting of the over 30's. Same thing with Conway (to a lesser extent). I think Conway plays 6-12 games with 15-20 games for Stanley.
The only question for me is do they play both Atkins and Parfitt or drop one for O'Connor for flexibility or make him the sub instead of Rohan

By the end of the year i expect Tuohy to have dropped out of our best 22 like Bews has and on current form Rohan doesn't get back in unless he is sub or shoehorned in somehow.

I see Mullin as already gone passed Bews in the MC eyes and by the end of the year i don't think it will be close

Having Tuohy, Bews and Rohan as depth players come finals if we make them would be rather handy

I think people have forgotten how good Parfitt was in 2022. His recent performances aren't anything new. He's just back to his best.

He was unbelievable unlucky to be squeezed out in 2022. He received coaches votes twice in the last 3 games of the home and away season in 2022 (he's yet to get a vote this year). But it was the right call because of the quality of our other options and the limitations of his ball use under pressure while we're trying to play a very precise game going forward.

Right now I'm almost certain he would be squeezed out again. Not because he's done anything wrong but he can't do what a guy like Atkins can. See the opening bounce last week where Atkins under pressure on his left hits a clean 20m pass to Cameron. Parfitt can't do that. And I think that's why he'll miss out again.

B: Stewart SDK Tuohy
HB: ZGuthrie Kolo O'Connor
C: Holmes Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Close Cameron Stengle
F: Miers Hawkins OHenry
R: Stanley Atkins CGuthrie
I: Blicavs JHenry Bruhn Parfitt
SUB: Dempsey

E: Bowes Clark Conway

Hm...

B: Stewart, SDK, Z Guthrie
HB: J Henry, Kolo, Duncan
C: Holmes, Bruhn, Parfitt
HF: Dempsey, Cameron, Miers
FF: Stengle, Hawkins, O Henry
R: Stanley, C Guthrie, Blicavs
INT: Close, O'Connor, Atkins, Bowes
SUB: Tuohy

Tuohy gets the nod over Rohan for substitute because of his flexibility.

Conway is in a race to get his nose in front of Stanley before roughly Round 18 this year.

With Dempsey statistically currently ranked in the top 5 wings in the comp, do we need to start reconsidering his role/spot in the team sheet, and that he should be seen more as part of the midfield group rather than the forwards?

With Dempsey statistically currently ranked in the top 5 wings in the comp, do we need to start reconsidering his role/spot in the team sheet, and that he should be seen more as part of the midfield group rather than the forwards?
It seems the stats guys over at champion data decided it was more appropriate to compare him to wingers already.
I agree though think he'll be on the wing for the foreseeable future simply because it's too hard to squeeze him into the forward line with so much quality up there.

Last edited:
The wings are interesting this year.

We basically have four or five pseudo-wingmen, two that patrol half back and the rest use their running power to push up the wing before streaming forward.

Holmes and Duncan are the ones on the defensive side - I guess you could throw MOC in too. Dempsey, Miers and Cameron in the attacking half.

Dempsey and Holmes are still the two that take up classic wing positions more often (even with Holmes new role) but the veterans pick and choose when to drop in there too. Miers is just everywhere.

So the whole dividing up of players into midfield, defence and forward can be tricky for quite a few of our players.

Absolutely.

If I’m doing a team one of Dempsey or Miers will be on the wing.

Lots of people seem to name Blitz on a wing but I consider him an inside mid.

I might be completely wrong but I just don’t notice Blitz starting on a wing after goals… maybe he does a bit and I don’t see it… not sure but I just assume he is a centre square player, be it as a mid or ruck.

Absolutely.

If I’m doing a team one of Dempsey or Miers will be on the wing.

Lots of people seem to name Blitz on a wing but I consider him an inside mid.

I might be completely wrong but I just don’t notice Blitz starting on a wing after goals… maybe he does a bit and I don’t see it… not sure but I just assume he is a centre square player, be it as a mid or ruck.
I think the plan was absolutely to move Blicavs to wing at the start of the season but we have needed him elsewhere and our attackers, plus the emergence of Dempsey, have changed plans.

I think the plan was absolutely to move Blicavs to wing at the start of the season but we have needed him elsewhere and our attackers, plus the emergence of Dempsey, have changed plans.
With Guthrie + Danger playing I could see Blitz moving around wherever he might be best suited.

He could play anywhere really.

At the moment I don’t see him as a winger, but that’s just me though… I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on who is actually starting on the wings for centre squares bounces, like we see centre square attendance stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only question for me is do they play both Atkins and Parfitt or drop one for O'Connor for flexibility or make him the sub instead of Rohan

By the end of the year i expect Tuohy to have dropped out of our best 22 like Bews has and on current form Rohan doesn't get back in unless he is sub or shoehorned in somehow.

I see Mullin as already gone passed Bews in the MC eyes and by the end of the year i don't think it will be close

Having Tuohy, Bews and Rohan as depth players come finals if we make them would be rather handy

Yeah, I agree with all this. I think Rohan makes for a particularly good sub but that’s not the only way to go.

I also think team balance makes it tough to keep both Parfitt and Atkins in the side together and O’Connor could get the nod.

Hm...

B: Stewart, SDK, Z Guthrie
HB: J Henry, Kolo, Duncan
C: Holmes, Bruhn, Parfitt
HF: Dempsey, Cameron, Miers
FF: Stengle, Hawkins, O Henry
R: Stanley, C Guthrie, Blicavs
INT: Close, O'Connor, Atkins, Bowes
SUB: Tuohy

Tuohy gets the nod over Rohan for substitute because of his flexibility.

Conway is in a race to get his nose in front of Stanley before roughly Round 18 this year.

No Dangerfield?

Ollie Dempsey should be a lock from now on based on what he has shown this year.

I'm sure that 24 or more players "should be a lock", but ultimately a best 22 or 23 is limited to that number of players.

The term "lock" is overused - my understanding was that it referred to players who nearly everyone would agree is amongst the top ~15 players to be selected each week. Not for a player who played fewer than 10 matches before the start of the year, and is averaging less than 20 disposals a game this year, and is part of a strong list of a side that is yet to be defeated.

Having said that, I have him as sub in my team - an indication of Geelong's strong playing list.

I think people have forgotten how good Parfitt was in 2022. His recent performances aren't anything new. He's just back to his best.

He was unbelievable unlucky to be squeezed out in 2022. He received coaches votes twice in the last 3 games of the home and away season in 2022 (he's yet to get a vote this year). But it was the right call because of the quality of our other options and the limitations of his ball use under pressure while we're trying to play a very precise game going forward.

Right now I'm almost certain he would be squeezed out again. Not because he's done anything wrong but he can't do what a guy like Atkins can. See the opening bounce last week where Atkins under pressure on his left hits a clean 20m pass to Cameron. Parfitt can't do that. And I think that's why he'll miss out again.

I agree.

Parfitt has been very good but structurally i thinl hes the one that falls out when guthrie is fully fit..largely bc of his kicking and because he cant play fwd or back. But still good depth to have.

I agree.

Parfitt has been very good but structurally i thinl hes the one that falls out when guthrie is fully fit..largely bc of his kicking and because he cant play fwd or back. But still good depth to have.
For me it is between Parfitt and Atkins and atm Parfitt is in better form so it should be Atkins who makes way

For me it is between Parfitt and Atkins and atm Parfitt is in better form so it should be Atkins who makes way

Possibly but atkins was very very good last year and has a lot more versatility. Id be surprised.

Right now:

B: Z.Guthrie De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J.Henry Holmes
C: Duncan C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
R: Stanley Dangerfield Bowes
Int: Bruhn O’Connor Parfitt Dempsey
Sub: Atkins

Which, from last night’s side, is C.Guthrie for Clark and Stanley for Conway.

Still think Rohan will make a run for it and Tuohy will get chances to stake a claim.

Right now:

Still think Rohan will make a run for it and Tuohy will get chances to stake a claim.

I reckon that's the 23 right now but Atkins is way ahead in the pecking order I reckon. He was excellent down back last night. I'd expect sub would be between Bowes, O'Connor, Parfitt and Dempsey and all would be stiff to be left in the vest.

Right now:

One of those sides that will undoubtedly have most here nodding in agreement.

We should be learning by now collectively that this MC has its favourites, guys they rate far higher for roles we are not privy to. Years of that being Blicavs are gone.

Atm think it is O'Connor and Atkins. Can't see either missing and can't see Atkins in the vest imo.

I reckon that's the 23 right now but Atkins is way ahead in the pecking order I reckon. He was excellent down back last night. I'd expect sub would be between Bowes, O'Connor, Parfitt and Dempsey and all would be stiff to be left in the vest.
They need to just make a 5 man bench already. It's an impossibly difficult decision for the sub, especially once (if?) we have full availability.

They need to just make a 5 man bench already. It's an impossibly difficult decision for the sub, especially once (if?) we have full availability.
But then the coaches will whinge when they are 1 man down on the bench and beg for the sub to come back then we will move to a 6 man bench... Then the coaches will whinge about being a man down etc etc etc.

What really needs to happen is ignoring coaches as much as possible when it comes to rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back