No Oppo Supporters Geelong defeated by Richmond in PF by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with a lot of this.

The effort against Collingwood was steady as she goes on all fronts - very disappointing. Then West Coast on the G . Played with more flair and dug deep in the last to end back to back hopes of W.C. At half time v. Tigers the moves Scott had made could not be questioned we had neutralised the flag favourites and were looking good (Lynch had 2 but why change things then?). To add salt Geelong kicked 2.5 in the last half of the quarter when we were in control. 5.2 would have done the job. After half time the tigers to their credit went past and we couldn't respond this time ( Thats where Hawkins should hang his head - when run is gone a couple of strong marks can be invaluable) .

It struck me watching GWS stop to a walk in their PF last quarter that the old advantage of not having to play 3 finals still has something in it especially if a big effort is need right to the end of previous game.

Anyway. My thoughts on Scott don't revolve around poor coaching but I do take into account tenure - 8 years since his first year win.
He has done well since but hasn't had the success he and we all want. Maybe he should put his hat in the ring for Freo job? Out there, but he knows the place. He would get it (I think) and then many BF supporters would be happier. Probably won't happen but it would be good for him and give someone else a crack at it.

Have no idea who would take over at Catland!

Excellent post - agree with all your points

That 2nd qtr as you say Blicavs missed - Selwood missed Guthrie missed and Tuohy missed all gettable goals - 1st thing Eddie Mcguire said at H/T break - Geel could be 6 goals in front if they had converted - it may have just been enough to hang on then - the big surge would have still come - but we might have had a big enough lead

That 2nd qtr as you say Blicavs missed - Selwood missed Guthrie missed and Tuohy missed all gettable goals - 1st thing Eddie Mcguire said at H/T break - Geel could be 6 goals in front if they had converted - it may have just been enough to hang on then - the big surge would have still come - but we might have had a big enough lead

Or it could have broken the game open, especially if we kicked the first goal of the second half

Not taking our opportunities when we had them and making the most of our momentum really hurt us

Probably planning his costume for Mad Monday. Priorities people.
I know you enjoy winding people up and dancing the trololol line but you really think that was the case?

Go Catters

Poor kicking for goal is bad football. To win a premiership a team has to play at their very best, in the finals to get there and on GF day. We should have been @35 points up at half time, I was worried we'd blown it. Not only does taking our chances give us a bigger lead but instils confidence in the players, confidence that when the barrage began in the third quarter they would not panic and settle, maybe kick a late goal or two. If we had, and had been 20 points up going into the last a couple of goals would enable the team to go into lockdown like the Giants did. We were up against the best team in the comp and we could have won; if we had won, with Hawkins back against the Giants we would be favourites and I would be very confident.

Those 07 09 11 days.. man that was fun.
Win or lose, you could always be confident they weren’t going to die wondering. This style of hesitant play and baffling match ups we run with now makes our losses look so much more pissweak, especially when giving up a half time lead. I’m not a “sack Scott” person by nature but damn someone buy him a copy of The Art of War or something please.

I was in my usual seat at KP and I remember thinking how good will our kids be once they've gained more experience. I saw a glass half full.
yes, I can see Miers breaking games open or flat out winning them.
Some of the younger guys in their 2~3 years now need to start believing they are top footy players capable of turning games on their heads the way JS and PD can. They need that belief and/or arrogance that they can and its they that have to do it. I would in the off season the club is helping these guys with leadership stuff to instill that belief. It would help if some of the VFL guys were pushed harder at positions they would play in the AFL team so they were brought in with a lot of confidence.

Some of the younger guys in their 2~3 years now need to start believing they are top footy players capable of turning games on their heads the way JS and PD can. They need that belief and/or arrogance that they can and its they that have to do it. I would in the off season the club is helping these guys with leadership stuff to instill that belief. It would help if some of the VFL guys were pushed harder at positions they would play in the AFL team so they were brought in with a lot of confidence.

I agree with all of that and especially this:

"It would help if some of the VFL guys were pushed harder at positions they would play in the AFL team so they were brought in with a lot of confidence."

Last edited:
Win or lose, you could always be confident they weren’t going to die wondering. This style of hesitant play and baffling match ups we run with now makes our losses look so much more pissweak, especially when giving up a half time lead. I’m not a “sack Scott” person by nature but damn someone buy him a copy of The Art of War or something please.
I know. But Scott has coaches all around him how they all agree with some adjustments of our players.

Or it could have broken the game open, especially if we kicked the first goal of the second half

Not taking our opportunities when we had them and making the most of our momentum really hurt us

Spot on taking those half chances in blicavs case a soda is a difference between being in the game late.

To Richmond credit though they were 4 goals up basically late or we needed to nail 4 to win.

So it would be difficult for me to say we would of definitely held on had we kicked those.

But you blow it out to 35 plus at half timr. Completely different ball game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. The one I see as being under utilised is Henry. Does a great job in defence but he has the skill set to be much better than a stopper. Let him loose.

Probably because he is describing the 'crowd psychology' or mob-mentality that is now so predominant on this board. Seems an accurate observation, really. Right down to your outraged censuring of his opinion. You guys should organise a nice public burning--perhaps an effigy of Scott. You might find it cathartic.
Yes cos thats one thing Im known for. Following a fu*** crowd.

No he doesnt. He cant find the ball when given the opportunity which he has plenty of times. Stopper is the only thing he has promise in.

Beg to disagree slightly. I think he does have promise - BUT - they need to settle him in one position (back to a common theme). Juggling young players around doesn't help them in my view.

Yeah more likely to lose there. We are kidding ourselves playing on our toy ground every second week....That and the coach and his appalling finals record all add up to us losing.
LOL

Our Etihad record is really quite good... but sure keep going...

GO Catters

100% this. I said almost these exact words to my mates down the pub at half time. Bad kicking is bad football. Richmond are now the kind of team that will make you pay for that.

The gap between self-perception and reality can be large.
I can’t believe I’m defending Seeds because I find a lot of what he posts to be contrary to reality, but one thing he is NOT, is a follower of the herd. He frequently stands alone in his opinions against pretty much everyone at times.

I can’t believe I’m defending Seeds because I find a lot of what he posts to be contrary to reality, but one thing he is NOT, is a follower of the herd. He frequently stands alone in his opinions against pretty much everyone at times.

My post, to which Seeds responded, was referring to the groupthink around Scott specifically. I wasn't referring to his posting history in general.

Yes. The one I see as being under utilised is Henry. Does a great job in defence but he has the skill set to be much better than a stopper. Let him loose.

I really like Jack Henry I think no.1 considering he was a rookie selection he has exceeded everyones expectations early realistically.

21 years old and 40 games is the stat line I would revert back to on anyone who wants to pick at his game. He is a tricky size (6 foot 3) 91kg. Half way between a Key more of a utility.

He is really good overhead I thought his finals series was quite good for a young player.

I think his best position is half back and an intercept type player. That 3rd Taller defender which a believe there will be a more prominent role for him next season.

Just the way Taylor & Stewart play and also lachie Henderson, Tuohy they are your roll of defenders so I don't particularly look at henrys stats to much as a guide to performance.

I think with more game time and also a bigger role I always felt his upside was huge this year perhaps he didn't improve as much as I thought he could.

He just does everything well for a young player his kicking is improving, reads the play well, gets in the right postions. And being that size he needs to grow into his body put on some weight and keep his athleticism.

I really see him as a 200 game player type and you can build a backline around guys like Henry, Oconnor in terms of stability with a longer term view into the future.

Jordan Clark could be perhaps one you throw into that group who I think with his marking ability and run and carry putting him in that slot makes a lot of sense also. Easier to learn the game from down back and he can progress up the field.

I give Henry the tick this year

I really like Jack Henry I think no.1 considering he was a rookie selection he has exceeded everyones expectations early realistically.

21 years old and 40 games is the stat line I would revert back to on anyone who wants to pick at his game. He is a tricky size (6 foot 3) 91kg. Half way between a Key more of a utility.

He is really good overhead I thought his finals series was quite good for a young player.

I think his best position is half back and an intercept type player. That 3rd Taller defender which a believe there will be a more prominent role for him next season.

Just the way Taylor & Stewart play and also lachie Henderson, Tuohy they are your roll of defenders so I don't particularly look at henrys stats to much as a guide to performance.

I think with more game time and also a bigger role I always felt his upside was huge this year perhaps he didn't improve as much as I thought he could.

He just does everything well for a young player his kicking is improving, reads the play well, gets in the right postions. And being that size he needs to grow into his body put on some weight and keep his athleticism.

I really see him as a 200 game player type and you can build a backline around guys like Henry, Oconnor in terms of stability with a longer term view into the future.

Jordan Clark could be perhaps one you throw into that group who I think with his marking ability and run and carry putting him in that slot makes a lot of sense also. Easier to learn the game from down back and he can progress up the field.

I give Henry the tick this year
I would give Henry a gold star. He was playing fourth fiddle alongside Harry, Blitz, Stewart. Had to play a very negative role.

I think he is the perfect size and skillset to play a much bigger role role. In his first senior season he did well up forward with less than 10 games experience. He has to be looked at (with Kreuger as the solution to a big problem. Third tall forward.

He is so raw still, I see no reason he shouldn't one day play midfield in his own right or. Maybe the loose tagger.

Its too early to pigeon hole him or O'Connor for that matter.

Last edited:
I would give Henry a gold star. He was playing fourth fiddle alongside Harry, Blitz, Stewart. Had to play a very negative role.

I think he is the perfect size and skillset to play a much bigrole role. In his first senior season he did well up forward with less than 10 games experience. He has to be looked at (with Kreuger as the solution to a big problem. Third tall forward.

He. Is so raw still I see no reason he shouldnt one day play midfield in his own right or. Maybe the loose tagger.

Its too early to pigeon hole him or O'Connor for that matter.

It's not pigeon holing its a young player finding a spot in the best 22. And I see that position for both of these guys at present in the back half.

We know he can play forward he is a utility plenty of time to experiment around the field. But you need to settle young players first and foremost.

Even experience guys with 200 plus games experience like a Taylor struggle to go from one end to the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back