Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the key. I'm very interested in psychology and have read a lot on the subject as well as observed a lot in my adult life. There are mental scars now, from defeats to Richmond in 17/19/20 finals which are not going to be easy to fix! The drop off after HT was, IMO, mostly mental, but not at all helped by a lack of ability from the coaching staff to grasp the situation unfolding and tactically alter the landscape of the game quickly when similar things to the '19 PF started to happen again. Worse to accept was this time we had them in a weaker position - Lynch, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rioli and Grimes (probably others) were having very little impact on the game. I'm despondent, numb but mostly angry - not with the players, but with the coaches because it doesn't seem as though they have had the wherewithal to learn the hard lessons of the past few years. Don't forget the first major lesson learned should have been from the '16 PF against Syd... writing was on the wall within about 5 mins of the start of that game that we were mentally off and Sydney were firing, but there was nothing tactically done to try and change that. Just a stubborn reliance on the "structures" and trying to play the game on our terms. I sat at that match with my two teenage kids and turned to them at that early point of the match and said, "this will be over at 1/4 time if they don't stop this run on" - and you know what? It was. If me - a middle-aged hack - can see that, how is not possible that a highly motivated and resourced coaching panel cannot?? There are a whole heap of other examples I could provide, but this thread is not the appropriate place to add them.

I believe very strongly that Geelong now have a major mental deficiency against Richmond and it will need to be urgently addressed if we are to stand any chance against them in the coming years. I've watched as we've dominated teams periodically over many years (e.g., ironically, Richmond in the 90s/00s and earlier part of 10s) and been dominated by others (Hawthorn in 80s/90s, West Coast 90s/00s) and these things take time and effort to overcome. Richmond have done it against us - can we be smart enough to acknowledge the problem, and come up with a proper strategy to arrest it?? Based on the evidence I've seen in the past few years, I'm not confident that will happen with the current people in charge.

I bleed blue and white and I'm desperately unhappy that we have blown several chances over the past few years. Hats off to Richmond for their incredible mental toughness in achieving what they have, but I believe we have unknowingly contributed to their domination in not trying to challenge them in other ways.
I think the beauty of their ‘game style‘ is that it removes to a large extent the decision making process. This makes it perfect for high intensity game when pressure is on. No ’running patterns’ and ‘switch plays’. Just get the ball forward and score. Breaks the game down to just pure gut running and footy skills.
Simple really when you think about it.

I was actually thinking in the 4th quarter They should try o’connor on Martin which then got me thinking I’ve never seen Scott make a player switch in all his years of coaching. If one of our guys is getting burnt we just ride it out for whatever reason I don’t know? Taylor on Lynch last prelim, o’connor on Riewoldt round 17, kolo on dusty. And then thinking back even further I can’t remember any times they’ve changed a match up mid game? Hardwick changes mid game quite a lot in comparison.
Have been thinking that we could introduce O’Connor to the midfield, has potential as a stopper. He has the tank and skills to hurt on the rebound. Time as a back man may serve in good stead. Would like to see what he can offer further up the field. Plus it allows Tuohy or Clark to move down back

I like your comment but like your avatar even more. A bit of perspective that goes beyond football.
Yeah Shane was a great guy and i had a bit to do with him early days and thought i would keep that until the season ended and in a little way its my way of respecting him and remembering every time i see it. will change it next week i think but thanks to you also for mentioning that

hiya guys. thought i'd wait a few days before offering my commiserations. geelong have been a helluva club for such a long time and that looks to continue on with cameron and higgins...jesus....

if gaz was a legend before saturday, he's truly a god now. broken shoulder, against all odds to be there, with whats happened in his career, in 2020, to his little boy...incredible story. you can't win em all however. i'd like to think we did it for tucky.

congratulations on an excellent season, best of luck for the off-season, and we will see each other soon in 2021.

cheers

Just visited Richmond's GF Autopsy blog to congratulate their supporters on the win and the respect shown by the team to Ablett at the end of the game. Have been impressed with some of the Richmond posts on the Geelong board since the GF. Best to get in and out of their board quickly because you'd be shocked at the hatred and vitriol (including fowl language) expressed for some of the Geelong players and Chris Scott. Not all posts of course but enough to make you feel uncomfortable. I only looked at one page and that was enough. I'm surprised the moderator lets it through.

There’s been growing respect from Richmond for Geelong and vise versa lately, feels like a genuine ‘respectful’ rivalry is brewing, they no doubt have it over us right now, let’s see if we can turn the tide.

They love us! Why? Because every final our clubs meet in we completely roll over for them. Why do you think they were gagging for us to get over Brisbane? And then their board members in here asking if we would be giving Esava a game because "they were worried about him".

Theres no respect from there side. All the Tiggies fans I know said as soon as they saw us "surprisingly" get past Brisbane, they knew they were going B2B.

And they were 100% correct.

Scott learns nothing, is a reactive coach, and this gets filed under another "what if we had someone else" for future reference.

But hey, when we have another great year next year and bomb out of finals again because Scottball is anti-finals football, I can't wait for everyone to tell me "next year" again, like in 2014/2016/2017/2018/2019 and now 2020.

I was actually thinking in the 4th quarter They should try o’connor on Martin which then got me thinking I’ve never seen Scott make a player switch in all his years of coaching. If one of our guys is getting burnt we just ride it out for whatever reason I don’t know? Taylor on Lynch last prelim, o’connor on Riewoldt round 17, kolo on dusty. And then thinking back even further I can’t remember any times they’ve changed a match up mid game? Hardwick changes mid game quite a lot in comparison.

Lonergan onto Cloke after quarter time in 2011 GF comes to mind.

BT is a fool and he was barracking for Richmond during his commentary. How does a clown like that gets to call the grand final?

I'm still peeved at his "how will this affect Richmond's momentum?" comment while Sam Simpson was being attended to after being concussed in the last quarter. What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Richmond have done it against us - can we be smart enough to acknowledge the problem, and come up with a proper strategy to arrest it?? Based on the evidence I've seen in the past few years, I'm not confident that will happen with the current people in charge
Considering it took almost a decade for the club to acknowledge that we have an issue with playing after a BYE I can only agree that this seems doubtfull.

I'm still peeved at his "how will this affect Richmond's momentum?" comment while Sam Simpson was being attended to after being concussed in the last quarter. What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.
I utterly despise him, especially when he calls collingwood games the bias is ridiculous. Channel 7 should have pulled him aside by now and given him a stern talking to.

Despite my better judgment I actually just watched the entire game again. Selwood made a couple of blues like players from both sides but was probably our best four quarter player. Continued to win clearances, had a hand in a couple of goals, kept tackling. Easily in our top 3 for the night.
I think selwood was on this grand final but what we got is now the best of selwood and its a long long way below what his best was 3 years ago. It was even below his average from 3 years ago.

you'd be shocked at the hatred and vitriol (including fowl language) expressed for some of the Geelong players and Chris Scott .
Probably just coming from a few turkeys. :cool:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are kidding, aren’t you? After quarter time Kolo shut Charlie Cameron completely out of the game in the prelim, and in the semi he beat De Goey.

Yeah he cops it on here but he had a good finals series. May not have controlled Martin on the ground (who could?), but he didn't outmark him once. The only other option we had close to being capable was Stewart and it seemed they didn't want to try that.

By no means is he flawless but I think we've got bigger concerns than Kolojdashnij.

I utterly despise him, especially when he calls collingwood games the bias is ridiculous. Channel 7 should have pulled him aside by now and given him a stern talking to.

The problem is it's not just Taylor, it's not just Richmond games, and it's not just finals. It's many commentators, at many games, most weeks.

The overall standard is just appalling.

I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but prior to 2017 I could have only dreamed of a rivalry with Geelong. For the best part of 35 years you rightly treated us as percentage builders, sh*t to be scraped off the shoe while you waited to play the genuine teams (Hawthorn, West Coast, St. Kilda, Hawthorn again, Collingwood). Now in that time the Hawks and Eagles may have won more flags than Geelong but we would occasionally snag the odd win against them here and there. But almost never against Geelong. You blokes were the mountain.

In recent years we've had the upper hand, whilst you are still pretty close to the pinnacle. So I'm not trying to sound patronising here but as a Tiger with a long memory if we were to have a rivalry with Geelong I'd be honoured. And in regards to wanting to play you in the GF - not from me. Thirty years of horror still had me thinking it may have been a bridge too far. Sure, the win makes it all the more satisfying but for that very reason - against us you've been the very best. Here's to a few good years of rivalry ahead.
I actually do mind the intrusion. There is no need int he firstw eek to be on our Board, or perhaps even for a few weeks. Just go away and enjoy what you have.

I actually do mind the intrusion. There is no need int he firstw eek to be on our Board, or perhaps even for a few weeks. Just go away and enjoy what you have.
I don't think most Tigers fans know what it's like to lose grand finals. To any that might read this post, think back to your losing Prelim Final against Collingwood in 2018 but add getting your nose rubbed in it for weeks afterwards. It's everywhere, on the news, TV and Radio adds, you see people driving around with the flags on their cars - it's not as bad as past years but there is just no letup.

I've seen my team lose 6 now and it doesn't get any easier - being gracious winners helps but we'd rather not hear from you at all - just enjoy the win and leave us be.

Update on Simpson - he's escaped serious injury:

GEELONG’S Sam Simpson has escaped serious injury after being knocked out by a freak collision with a teammate during the 2020 AFL Grand Final.

Sam’s dad Sean Simpson told the Geelong Advertiser on Monday that his son was “doing well” following the dangerous head knock – luckily walking away with only a fractured rib.

“The doctors were really good, they made contact with us while Sam was in the change rooms,” Simpson said.

“They told us he was clear of any spinal damage or severe concussion – which was a nice phone call to get.”

Simpson, 22, was stretchered off the ground following the incident during the final term of the premiership decider on Saturday night at the Gabba.

Simpson and teammate Sam Menegola both went in for a marking contest in Geelong’s forward line, and as Menegola took the mark, he collected Simpson’s head in the process.

Watching the game from home with his family, Simpson said it was “pretty tough” seeing the carnage unfold on the television screen.

“I’m glad that I was in a comfortable surrounding with family support, it allowed me to gather myself and stay calm,” Simpson said.

“It took around seven minutes until he was taken off the ground – it felt like a pretty long seven minutes.

“I was really happy to see some movement from him – he moved his hand at one point – which was a huge relief.”

Simpson said it was nice to hear his sons voice again after finally speaking to him over the phone at around 2am on Sunday – more than three hours after the game.

“He can’t remember the incident as such, but he can remember pretty much most of the rest of the game,” Simpson said.

“He was just a little bit sore and sorry for himself, but he pulled up good, he got out of it pretty lucky.

“It would be good to give him a big hug.”

The better person to question would be Scarlett - as defensive coach he's the one organising those matchups & the defenders get their instructions from him. This is from last week with Kolodjahnij talking about the potential Martin matchup.

No doubt there would be discussion within the coaching box about the matchups, but there's also a case of putting the trust in the assistant coaches that they have done their homework.

I get that seeing Martin with another BOG is frustrating, but would switching his opponent have made any serious difference - and then consider that our other defensive match ups were working? Outside of Martin the only multiple goal kickers were Riewoldt with one of those goals from a free kick, & Prestia who is a midfielder. Switching a matchup isn't a decision made in isolation; do you really want to move a player who doing well in their current matchup in the hope they may somewhat curtail Martin but risk their current opponent then getting of the leash also

Kolodjashnij says he will wait to see what defensive coach and Cats great Matthew Scarlett decides, but that he would be ready to take on Martin on the biggest stage.

"I've been on Dusty a few times. I'll just wait to see what Matty Scarlett wants to do there," Kolodjashnij told AFL.com.au.

"If he gives me the tap on the shoulder come Thursday I'll be more than happy to play on Dusty. It's obviously a big role and he's a key player for them, so it's a challenge I'm looking forward to if it does come my way."

As they said on the couch Monday night.
Cats blew it! Might never get another look at it like that again.
1. GABBA final
2. Shortened season with an old list.
3. Vlaustin out early.
4. 22 up in second.
5. Lynch , riewoldt, & Grimes limited impact
6. missed shots on goal. Shouldve been further in front at half time.
7. Allowing martin soft goals. Blicavs giving him space for his 3rd goal.
Beaten by a better team in the end, but we had a lot of things on our terms and still couldnt get it done. Mightn't happen again.

Have been thinking that we could introduce O’Connor to the midfield, has potential as a stopper. He has the tank and skills to hurt on the rebound. Time as a back man may serve in good stead. Would like to see what he can offer further up the field. Plus it allows Tuohy or Clark to move down back

We have a dearth of quality small/midsize backmen and O'Connor is already very good defensively so I'd keep developing him back there.

The difference in drive the Tigers got from their small defenders relative to the Cats in the grand final was stark. Short, Butler and Houli orchestrated many of the forays forward to setup the 10 goal turnaround in the second half.

It is perplexing the Cats moved Tuohy forward during the season given he has essentially no natural forward craft and we are crying out for more kicking options down back that can hit a target.

As they said on the couch Monday night.
Cats blew it! Might never get another look at it like that again.
1. GABBA final
2. Shortened season with an old list.
3. Vlaustin out early.
4. 22 up in second.
5. Lynch , riewoldt, & Grimes limited impact
6. missed shots on goal. Shouldve been further in front at half time.
7. Allowing martin soft goals. Blicavs giving him space for his 3rd goal.
Beaten by a better team in the end, but we had a lot of things on our terms and still couldnt get it done. Mightn't happen again.

This is the problem with our game, and conversely the strength of richmonds. For us to win the game we had to take EVERY chance we had and make essentially no mistakes. Richmond don't though.
We need to look at a system and style of footy that doesn't require perfection to succeed.

Just read this - I know it's already been acknowledged that Richmond delayed their celebrations after the medal presentation to form a guard of honour to farewell Ablett, but how many noticed they also removed their premiership medals

It's something small, but class to do so

So proud of my club doing that for the GOAT.

Also on your coach putting danger forward in the third, what's missed Hardwick put Martin forward in the third as well. It was brave coaching imo by Scott, he coached to win so I don't get the hate for him doing that.

I also am looking forward to watching both clubs bashing each other in finals in the future as I see both clubs contending for awhile yet and a nice rivalry is being created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back