Review Geelong dumps Crows by 42 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to win but an ordinary performance against a struggling team missing multiple players.

Neale had a poor first game. Nothing more to say.
Kolodjashnij beaten by his opponent, too slow to influence the contest, his kicking let him down again, did little else to contribute.
Cooper Stephens was ok but turned the ball over a few times and disposal efficiency was sub-par.
Evans hardly had any influence and his disposal efficiency was poor.
O'Connor only 6 disposals, 5 tackles, is not enough in his role.
Parfitt trys hard but his decision making and skills continue to let him down, especially his kicking.

Riley O'Brien dominated hitouts (46) as expected, had 28 disposals and was The Crows best player. However Blicavs did really well around the ground.
De Koning and Stengle were impressive again. Welcome return to form by Miers.

Next week we play the Dogs and their A-grade midfield.

In: Stanley, Narkle, Rohan (or Menegola)
Out: Neale, Stephens, Evans

Kolodjashnij and O'Connor are on thin ice.
Agree with most of it so gave a like.

Don't agree at all on Kolo. Been good this year. He and a raw rookie in S.Dek are holding the backline together against the big forwards, and doing it admirably well.

Narkle can stay out. Won't be here next year. Stephens will be.

I like this.
but you are missing parfit. What did you think of his game?
When I say nothing it means he wasn't s**t. I don't think I will ever warm to him tbh.
But he was better today.

He doesn’t lack pace but he labours covering the ground. Fitness?

He has barely played in 3 years due to covid and injuries so i think the endurance will come with more games. He is far more athletic than constable was so that doesnt worry me his kicking is my only slight concern but he has more than enough good attributes to still be good at afl level.

My parker pen is ready. Not quite scratched a line through the name but have seen nothing to suggest he can make it.

Needs more games before you can call that. But he will go back to the vfl for a while. His role is a hard one to play at afl level.

After today's match, Tom has dropped off this list

Today was a great example I thought of Hawkins’ continually evolving ability to impact a game without directly putting it on the scoreboard.

Couple of goals, brilliant goal assist to Stengle, couple of really nice disposals inside 50, great second effort tackling a few times and generally creating a presence. Controlled a lot of space in the forward 50 and it manifested itself through a number of his teammates

Play of the day for me was Cam Guthrie attacking the ball inside 50 City end at pace and quick dish off for a goal assist. Was AA Cam Guthrie form.
Mine was Stewart leaving his man (who'd have been unmanned with the whole 50 to himself) and fairly bumping a Crows player, winning the contest in the process. :gun:

Today was a great example I thought of Hawkins’ continually evolving ability to impact a game without directly putting it on the scoreboard.

Couple of goals, brilliant goal assist to Stengle, couple of really nice disposals inside 50, great second effort tackling a few times and generally creating a presence. Controlled a lot of space in the forward 50 and it manifested itself through a number of his teammates

Mostly agree, although I thought he went a bit too far with the unselfishness today tbh. Should have finished with four goals instead of just the two.

Admittedly, the sentiment behind trying to involve Neale was an admirable one.

Did everything he possibly could to get Neale a sausage too the big fella. Phenomenal team player.

I'm worried Cooper Stephens is basically Constable/Horlin-Smith Mk2.

He has no penetration in his game at all (same as Constable).

He really needs to become an absolute weapon in tight because I don't really see anything else he could excel at.
Do people expect kids to be guns and starts in there first season....m give them 3 or so seasons of playing AFL.....
The worst thing people expect kids should be guns from the get go....
The old saying is. You have to crawl before you can walk...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were many good signs for a positive future in today's game.
It demonstrated how a functioning forward line should work... Everyone contributed
Key forwards Hawkins, Cameron kicked goals themselves and created goals for teammates.
Small forwards. Miers, Stengle and Close, applied pressure, found the loose ball and linked up to kick goals.
Young Cat Neale looked threatening and got hands on the ball and looks a long straight kick.
His height prevents the double teaming of Hawkins and creates opportunities for the small forwards.
If he can take a few grabs per game and kick accurately, Cats forward line becomes a nightmare for opposition.

What Blitz lacks in the ruck contest he more that compensates with his good work around the ground.
Last game I barely noticed Cooper despite getting good stats.
This means he is quick and clean and not making clangers.
This week I paid more attention to his game. He is hard working, tough, brave and clean.

The best sign of all is young defender SDK. He continues to improve every game, now catching the eye of media commentators
He has speed, height, makes good decisions, is poised and classy with excellent all round skills.
As he gains body strength and experience he will become an A-Grade rebounding defender.
Zuthrie continues to improve... slowly staking a claim for best 22 selection.

Mine was Stewart leaving his man (who'd have been unmanned with the whole 50 to himself) and fairly bumping a Crows player, winning the contest in the process. :gun:
I thought he’d killed him.

Do ppl not realise that Constable can’t run. Like at all. That’s why he doesn’t play AFL. Cooper can. So we aren’t getting completely obliterated on transition. Stephens may or may not make it but it won’t be bc he can’t do the most non negotiable thing in modern footy.
Constable was emergency tonight for the GC Suns who have a pretty talented list. So he's on an AFL list and pushing for selection.

Nah just don't take your opinions on footballing talent all that seriously is all.

Was a truly woeful game of football today.
jeez dude i agree with you on a lot of things geelong related but here you are just outright disrespecting arguably the most resourceful mod this boards got. i find this persons posts more insightful than the dribble that comes up on my facebook timeline from geelong’s official page and we are better off for having them on bigfooty.

I was going to ask the same question (won’t be poular).

Is Cooper Stephens any better than Charlie Constable? Same good size, same lack of pace, same lack of spread (real bad), if anything he can’t rack em up as well as Charlie but he may have a better tank.

Only young and played very little footy, just don’t see a gun mid there, love to be wrong.

DeKoning on the other hand…wowee.

Stephens is much quicker than Constable. But he's probably not going to be an outside player. He is an inside centre stoppage type. He will come good, but whether he is elite or above average, time will tell. I think he's lacking in an engine atm. Would like to see how much ground he covers in his games?

He doesn’t lack pace but he labours covering the ground. Fitness?

Most likely needs a few preseasons to build an engine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back