Geelong should never have to play home games at opposition stadiums again

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we playing a home game against St.kilda this week at their home ground? I’m always a bit split with the argument about having all home game in geelong. As a member and fan I want the best for the club. But I do live in Melbourne and i do love going to the footy in Melbourne.
It's St Kilda's home game

Why are we playing a home game against St.kilda this week at their home ground? I’m always a bit split with the argument about having all home game in geelong. As a member and fan I want the best for the club. But I do live in Melbourne and i do love going to the footy in Melbourne.

It's actually St.Kilda's home game.

I use to be against playing home games at the ‘G but I don’t mind playing some home games there. More match experience on the ‘G can only benefit us ... After all, it’s the ground where Premierships are won.
I understand what you're saying, but to me it breaks down to "There's an unfairness about where the GF is played, so we should accept another unfair situation to mimic the other injustice." I'd have home games at Geelong every day of the week.

Supposedly Richmond has over 100,000 paid up members.

If that's the case, why did only 54,857 people turn up to the Grand Final replay in perfect conditions last Friday night?

That's 30,000 under the COVID restricted capacity.

The joke of an excuse that we're constantly fed by the AFL is that by moving games to the MCG then more people can attend the games in person, but if Richmond fans won't even turn up to their own home game then why should we care if they miss out on a seat at KP?

Pull the other one. If the AFL cared about people's ability to go to games in person they wouldn't have Thursday and Sunday night football, which are made entirely for TV audiences. And that's fine, I love watching Thursday and Sunday night games but please don't tell me you care about one thing while clearly doing the other.

Further to that, who the hell cares that opposition fans can't get a seat at an away game? I'm not guaranteed to a seat at Optus to see WCE vs Geelong nor should I be, why then are Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn (15k crowd at the 'G yesterday, LOL) treated like a different class when it comes to playing in Geelong? Easter Monday would have been jumping at GMHBA this year.

No other sport in the world does this. Could you imagine Liverpool having to play their home game against Man United at Old Trafford due to OT having 23,000 more seats than Anfield? There would be riots in the streets.

Which is similar to what we need. Certainly not a riot, but a legitimate protest against the AFL to let them know this is not OK and we won't stand for it. Make the powers that be take notice like the recent European Super League protests which got immediate results.

I would love nothing more than for 36,000 Cats fans to boycott the MCG and turn up to Kardinia Park for our Round 19 clash against Richmond to watch it on the big screen. Yes the boys would miss our support at the G but let's be honest, 50%+ of us won't even head to Jolimont anyway. It will be a Friday night or a Sunday arvo, making it a difficult prospect for the majority of you who live in Geelong.

It's the only way to make a statement and be noticed, and if the Club are serious about hosting 11 games at home then they need to be leading the way on it despite the fines they would need to pay. Make it a gold coin donation to get in.

We'll never change anything by being polite little sheep and accepting what the AFL want us to do for their own narrative and the big clubs' benefit. We've paid an absolute truckload of money to build this magnificent boutique stadium that we're forced to play away from against our will.

We need to stop clubs like Richmond and Collingwood getting every possible advantage.
Even if they got 80 thousand we still shouldnt have to do it because its unjust.

Even if they got 80 thousand we still shouldnt have to do it because its unjust.
100%, but we know that complaining about that in the past has fallen on deaf ears.

We should be shoving this crowd figure and the paltry one against the Dogs a week earlier down the AFL and Richmond supporter's throats to get the result we want.

Once stage 5 has been completed, my expectation is that we will have all home regular season and home finals at kp

I highly doubt that we will ever play 11 home games at geelong. Finals? Not sure. It did not feel like a traditional home game when we played Freo in 2013. So many tickets always have to be given to the other side. I think against some side like Suns or GWS perhaps thats a chance but we have to win at the G to have a cup, and when we have played our best the G has always suited us. It certainly did last week.

I highly doubt that we will ever play 11 home games at geelong. Finals? Not sure. It did not feel like a traditional home game when we played Freo in 2013. So many tickets always have to be given to the other side. I think against some side like Suns or GWS perhaps thats a chance but we have to win at the G to have a cup, and when we have played our best the G has always suited us. It certainly did last week.

Disagree, it’s our home and we shouldn’t be messing around with who we play where if we are investing so much into it. It’s time for the big 4 to come down the highway and wipe away the tears.

Fantastic OP, Jemaine. Outlines the case articulately, and exposes so much of the empty blather that goes on around this issue. Cats need to stay strong, keep pushing the case, and let the numbers speak for themselves. The next stage of the redevelopment will help, and the club needs to press home that advantage when the time comes.

One thing is for sure, though, if the Tiges aren't contending in years to come, they can kiss any monster crowds against us at the 'G goodbye, no matter when the games are scheduled.

It's always fun backing a winner, and much less 'fun' to be an actual supporter.

Disagree, it’s our home and we shouldn’t be messing around with who we play where if we are investing so much into it. It’s time for the big 4 to come down the highway and wipe away the tears.
Richmond were there in 2017, Carlton in 2019, and Essendon are coming down this year. Looks like a rotation of sorts

Richmond were there in 2017, Carlton in 2019, and Essendon are coming down this year. Looks like a rotation of sorts

About ******* time too

Go Catters

A rotation of the worst teams in the afl.

when are the best melbourne teams of the previous year going to come. The ones where we actually could use our home ground advantage. Richmond and Collingwood should be coming to geelong this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a rotation once sides drop off and aren't guaranteed huge crowds in Melbourne. Precisely why Carlton finally made the trip down a couple of years ago, and Essendon are this year. Collingwood won't be far off the way they're going.

You do understand that its not up to geelong.
No doubt, but with all the federal and state money being pumped into KP, the Cats should be able to put up more of a fight for all home games and home finals to be at home no matter who they play. Just my opinion. This is after stage 5. Will be disappointing if it doesn’t happen with all the stadium upgrades. Just need the right govt people to also put pressure on the afl.

No doubt, but with all the federal and state money being pumped into KP, the Cats should be able to put up more of a fight for all home games and home finals to be at home no matter who they play. Just my opinion. This is after stage 5. Will be disappointing if it doesn’t happen with all the stadium upgrades. Just need the right govt people to also put pressure on the afl.

I think its complicated. Big games at the G have a big picture value. It has to be a very big crowd but there is a point where they make more money at the G than at KP. Half the members are non geelong. The games geelong probably max their KP advantage against the lower ranked sides, making over 1m against side like the Suns. Usually a "down" melb club is fixtured at KP..like this year with Ess.

It would be very easy for me to say play them all at KP. Walk 15 minutes to the game but I doubt that is the ideal setup. Big games at the G helps make us more than a provincial club, helps us draw players and advertisers, helps us get Fri night games. I can barely remember the days when we had 11 home games at KP its 40 or 50 years since that has been the case.

I guess what one would need to know is how much having a Collingwood or Haw travelling to Geelong adds to the local economy. Perhaps from that they could put criteria on moneys given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back