Preview Geelong V Freo - Part 2 of the AFL Road Trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will rest a defender instead of dropping Bews I reckon.

I will go with Tuohy coming back in for MoC.

Kolo (forced with concussion), Henry and Tuohy have all missed a week managed. MoC appears the next one in line.
We are not resting Mark O’Connor. Superfit and after handing Papleys arse to him on a platter last week his confidence would be sky high! Should be suited to the big quick track too.

I know what Scotty has said, but I don't think Gazza wants the rest himself and that's why they might leave him in. Gazza probably has more say in his selection each week than other players. Like Paddy or Joel, if they they say their right to play, they play. I might be wrong though, we might see Gazza get a rest so we'll just have to wait and see.

He looked in fantastic last night at a speaking function.
He said he'd been doing modified training because of the hip but he's AOK now. Was keen to play this weekend and get the W !!
Gaz spoke really well , very articulate and a lot more relaxed with his answers than the TV grabs we normally get. Gave his time very generously and signed a lot of memorabilia that various punters had brought along.
Spoke very highly of his teammates and gave Ling and Selwood as his biggest influences , was also very praising of the coach who he said had very high footy IQ and a very caring attitude towards all players on the list. Said he had exceptional communication skills :)
Spent some time on our table which was a highlight , especially for my doting wife and grown up kids ( early 20's)

I think everyone now acknowledges that Ratugolea is entrenched in our B22 and clearly our best option at KPF/second ruck.

As bulletproof said earlier, SavRat has the ability (and seemingly now, the confidence) to do a Mason Cox or a Tom Boyd in the finals and play a career best game on the big stage.

He's so important to our structure that we can't risk him getting injured before the finals, which is why some are suggesting he may be rested this week, so avoid the hard deck at Optus Stadium that has resulted in a number of foot/leg injuries to opposition players this season.

I agree Ratugolea is important to our structure and we need him for finals. But if the basis for omitting him is that his broken leg in 2018 makes him more vulnerable to injury on the hard surface of Optus Stadium then that logic could be flawed. Broken bones usually heal to be as strong as they used to be and sometimes even stronger.

Blicavs (also had a recent leg fracture) and Hawkins (history of back issues) are also vital to our structure. Do we rest them too?

Weagles and Freo don't rest their key talls when playing at Optus.

Of course, as fans we are discussing this with incomplete information. I'm sure the physios and coaching staff will make the right call. And I'm aware that there's part of me that hates Freo and Ross Lyon so would like to see our best team thrash them.

Murdoch was a far far superior player to parsons
Agree mostly with your post except the above. Murdoch was, and still is, an A grade spud.
Parsons has something, but whether he gets the most out of it is yet to be seen.
Still big deficiencies in his game but worth persevering with.
Not really in best 22 this year.

Last edited:
Are you seriously saying that we should collectively start or end every sentence with “in my opinion” unless stating facts? On a public forum specifically designed to discuss opinions no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made no such comment. Your original statement..."Bews turns 26 this year and will continue to be a very limited footballer albeit one who gives his all." was the subject of my sarcastic response, since I felt your statement seemingly an imperious assertion may well be the work of a limited prophet. I remember Darren Milburn in 04-06 would amount @25 touches a week and burn half of them, in '07 at the age of 30 he began making good decisions and his kicking became extremely efficient, he was an AA that year. You may well be right about Bews, or you may well be wrong. O'Connor has become a beauty this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Parsons is in our best 28 though, and while he won't probably be playing in the finals unless we have injuries, it's good coaching to give his some games now.
Parsons 1/2 half was crap. So was about 14 of his team mates

2nd half way better.

When he debuted he could play. Then he slid back for wahtver reason. GEt back to the endavour of his origins and he'll do okay.

He got the deal he's on on the back of that good early work. Now he needs to get back to delivering it consistently.

GO Catters

Its possible that Gaz plays until the end of the home and away and then has a rest the week before finals but Im not so sure, if anything this could be the best week to do it, doesn't he have an amazing record against North who we play at home a week later? We just have to keep winning, win the next couple and its highly likely we finish top considering the other top teams play each other.

He did. O'Connor is a very good player. However I don't think Betts has kicked a goal against Bews in the encounters they have had over the last three years though.

Kicked four in four matches, also been goalless in two games when Bews didn't play, so although Bews undoubtedly does well on him think the idea that he owns Betts is a little over hyped TBH.

Taylor and Ablett are the only two I'd contemplate resting in the next 2 weeks without and injury due to the age factor ,the rest pay unless there bodies need the break IE one or two of the younger players may benefit from an extra break, Henry looked to have freshened up this week.But mostly business as usual.

I am happy the club pick the team and not fans so much rubbish about resting so many players...if they are not sore or injured then no rest
Except Ablett is 35 and if there is any issues at all with his body, this is the game to rest him. Need him to be fighting fit come September.

Parsons 1/2 half was crap. So was about 14 of his team mates

2nd half way better.

When he debuted he could play. Then he slid back for wahtver reason. GEt back to the endavour of his origins and he'll do okay.

He got the deal he's on on the back of that good early work. Now he needs to get back to delivering it consistently.

GO Catters
He's just played 35 games in two and half years, and it's pretty common for players like him to be inconsistent at this point of their career. I think you're being a bit tough. He's not in our best 22 currently, but he's a depth player we need for the finals because he can play a role.

I'm starting to think rests for players (Ablett aside) has now been put on the back burner. Everyone gets the bye at the end of the H&A now anyway. So it's no longer the priority that it was in recent years, particularly in 2011 when we went down that path of managing players. I think we need the team to be as gelled and cohesive as possible heading into a very big finals campaign. Lets get the team settled and build some serious momentum. Finals just around the corner.

Really looking forward to this one , managed to score a seat a la Corporate Suite so happy days :)
Whilst the premium beverage package will no doubt dull my questionable footy IQ still hope to observe our game plan and ball movement live for the first time this season proper.
Quite a few Cats fans in the box so should be a ball tearer of a day :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back