• J. Riewoldt

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 57 29.8%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 56 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Being one of 4 people to win multiple NS medals in the history of the game automatically puts you ahead of somebody has one/none. They are big game players that’s why they won them, as proven by Hodge against your mate.

Do you think people regard Hodge as a better finals player than GAJ? Do you?
Ask anyone who Geelong's best finals performer was 2007-2010 and they go with GAJ. Same as Voss and Black for Brisbane, Hodge and Mitchell for Hawthorn, Martin for Richmond. McLeod for Adelaide. Carey for Roos. Buckley for Collingwood.

Which stars can you think of who weren't their sides best finals performers?

Richmond had less "stars" so you can argue for 4 years that he stood out more than say Hodge did against Mitchell or Ablett did against Bartel. But it doesn't mean he was a better finals player overall. Especially once you take into account that he had 5 poor finals campaigns. He had the hottest 4 years finals streak. Aged 18-26 and 30 onwards he did nothing of note in finals.

Ask anyone who Geelong's best finals performer was 2007-2010 and they go with GAJ. Same as Voss and Black for Brisbane, Hodge and Mitchell for Hawthorn, Martin for Richmond. McLeod for Adelaide. Carey for Roos. Buckley for Collingwood.

Which stars can you think of who weren't their sides best finals performers?

Richmond had less "stars" so you can argue for 4 years that he stood out more than say Hodge did against Mitchell or Ablett did against Bartel. But it doesn't mean he was a better finals player overall. Especially once you take into account that he had 5 poor finals campaigns. He had the hottest 4 years finals streak. Aged 18-26 and 30 onwards he did nothing of note in finals.

In the age article I sent you they had Bartel and not Gary. Gary wasn’t even ranked.

But anyway who’s a better finals player Hodge or Gary?

In the age article I sent you they had Bartel and not Gary. Gary wasn’t even ranked.

But anyway who’s a better finals player Hodge or Gary?
Have you ever disagreed with something posted in The Age?

I'm only answering that once you watch all of their finals and give me your own informed opinion, with explanations.

Why do you keep trying to make me undertake work you are unwilling to do yourself.

Cue standard "oH tHere Is a rEASon yOU aRen't aNSweRinG!!!" response, in 3...2...1...

Let me try the same: rank each of Hodge's and Martin's finals from best to worst, then provide an analysis of who has the better catalogue of career finals performances. These are the types of assignments you roll out to me daily. It would be interesting to see you have an attempt...not just "he was the best" but something where you have to use logic and go through each and every final to form an opinion. I am happy for you to have a go using the stats sheet in the first instance, and then watch the matches later.

I'm only answering that once you watch all of their finals and give me your own informed opinion, with explanations.

Why do you keep trying to make me undertake work you are unwilling to do yourself.

Cue standard "oH tHere Is a rEASon yOU aRen't aNSweRinG!!!" response, in 3...2...1...

Let me try the same: rank each of Hodge's and Martin's finals from best to worst, then provide an analysis of who has the better catalogue of career finals performances. These are the types of assignments you roll out to me daily. It would be interesting to see you have an attempt...not just "he was the best" but something where you have to use logic and go through each and every final to form an opinion. I am happy for you to have a go using the stats sheet in the first instance, and then watch the matches later.
Man honestly do you reckon arguing with blokes on the internet over ya favourite footy team everyday is a good look?, just curious?
We get it you hate Richmond😂

Man honestly do you reckon arguing with blokes on the internet over ya favourite footy team everyday is a good look?, just curious?
We get it you hate Richmond😂
It does get boring having circular arguments with Sweepy, but nothing is worse than the type of non-contribution you have just made yourself.

"Why do you talk about things on here" - okay, overseer.

I don't hate Richmond, I merely think the rubbishing of Ablett as a finals fraud (for example) is a ludicrous claim and can be disputed. I am happy to talk about games and performances that suggest otherwise.

If Gary was as great a finals player as you said he would be mentioned. But he didn’t, cause he’s not.

So anyway Hodge or Gary? I won’t answer any more of your questions before you answer this one.

If Gary was as great a finals player as you said he would be mentioned. But he didn’t, cause he’s not.

So anyway Hodge or Gary? I won’t answer any more of your questions before you answer this one.
Yes, your reference point of an Age article somehow overrides the undisputed consensus opinion on neutrals that Ablett was a better player than Martin.

Which in your delusional take reflects the fact that nobody cares about finals other than Richmond supporters. That they only rate Ablett higher because he was strong in home and away. You haven't even watched his finals so have absolutely no idea what his level was.

I already said you needed your full list of Hodge vs Martin finals (rank each one from best to worst) and then give a reasoned analysis on who had the better finals career. Then I will answer your questions. You continually refuse to do engage in any meaningful discussion but time and time again demand things of others.

It does get boring having circular arguments with Sweepy, but nothing is worse than the type of non-contribution you have just made yourself.

"Why do you talk about things on here" - okay, overseer.

I don't hate Richmond, I merely think the rubbishing of Ablett as a finals fraud (for example) is a ludicrous claim and can be disputed. I am happy to talk about games and performances that suggest otherwise.
Okay, “Mr Meow”

Sure thing " ....sawyer...."
james ford sawyer GIF

Yes, your reference point of an Age article somehow overrides the undisputed consensus opinion on neutrals that Ablett was a better player than Martin.

Which in your delusional take reflects the fact that nobody cares about finals other than Richmond supporters. That they only rate Ablett higher because he was strong in home and away. You haven't even watched his finals so have absolutely no idea what his level was.

I already said you needed your full list of Hodge vs Martin finals (rank each one from best to worst) and then give a reasoned analysis on who had the better finals career. Then I will answer your questions. You continually refuse to do engage in any meaningful discussion but time and time again demand things of others.

A few things:

1. This is about finals, not overall. Not sure why you referenced that

2. The Age is not biased, you are saying Gary was the best finals player from 07-10. If this was the case they would’ve acknowledged it. They even acknowledged Bartel. But Gary wasn’t even in the top 20.

3. I’m not asking about Hodge v Martin. I’m asking about Hodge v Gary. So for the 3rd time what’s the answer?

EDIT: To answer your stubborn question which you actually asked after mine btw, I think Dusty is better than Hodge
can’t compare stats as they are vastly different players. But Martin has a much better BOG rate including 3 Finals MVPs and 3 NS. That’s enough for me.

Now it’s your turn bud.

Last edited:
A few things:

1. This is about finals, not overall. Not sure why you referenced that

2. The Age is not biased, you are saying Gary was the best finals player from 07-10. If this was the case they would’ve acknowledged it. They even acknowledged Bartel. But Gary wasn’t even in the top 20.

3. I’m not asking about Hodge v Martin. I’m asking about Hodge v Gary. So for the 3rd time what’s the answer?

EDIT: To answer your stubborn question which you actually asked after mine btw, I think Dusty is better than Hodge
can’t compare stats as they are vastly different players. But Martin has a much better BOG rate including 3 Finals MVPs and 3 NS. That’s enough for me.

Now it’s your turn bud.
Ablett left the club after 2010 (only returning as an old man) while Bartel played until 2016. Reckon that's a factor?

I'm asking about Hodge/Martin and as soon as you provide the analysis I requested (no not just "Martin was better", I need all of their finals ranked from best to worst) I am more than happy to do the same for Ablett/Hodge. Otherwise we will remain at a stand still.

Ablett left the club after 2010 (only returning as an old man) while Bartel played until 2016. Reckon that's a factor?

I'm asking about Hodge/Martin and as soon as you provide the analysis I requested I am more than happy to do the same for Ablett/Hodge. Otherwise we will remain at a stand still.

Yep, it’s a factor as you said. GAJ body of work in finals wasn’t good enough. Hence doesn’t crack the top 20.

I told you I can’t with stats, so I based my view on the BOGs. Take it or leave it. Not sure why you want an analysis anyway, you know my answer. All I want to know is yours and don’t even want/need your analysis on Hodge v GAJ.

One is a defender and the other is a mid/fwd. Can you just stop being stubborn ffs, I even asked you the question first, now you are forcing me to do an analysis. You for real mate?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, it’s a factor as you said. GAJ body of work in finals wasn’t good enough. Hence doesn’t crack the top 20.

I told you I can’t with stats, so I based my view on the BOGs. Take it or leave it.

One is a defender and the other is a mid/fwd. Can you just stop being stubborn ffs, I even asked you the question first, now you are forcing me to do an analysis. You for real mate?
Oh so playing a higher number of top quality finals does matter?

Well Hodge played a LOT more finals than Martin. And he didn't have 5 poor finals campaigns compared to 3 strong ones.'

So using your own rationale to put Bartel below Ablett, the exact same thing can be applied to elevate Hodge's finals output above Martin's.

Snookered.

Oh so playing a higher number of top quality finals does matter?

Well Hodge played a LOT more finals than Martin. And he didn't have 5 poor finals campaigns compared to 3 strong ones.'

So using your own rationale to put Bartel below Ablett, the exact same thing can be applied to elevate Hodge's finals output above Martin's.

Snookered.

The top 3 finals series are Martins with 8/10 BOGs. Who cares about the rest, it’s just this that makes people say he’s the best finals player ever. Nobody cares about the rest.

No you just proved my point. GAJ body of work wasn’t good enough and nobody will remember him as a great finals player. The end.

Billiards.

The top 3 finals series are Martins with 8/10 BOGs. Who cares about the rest, it’s just this that makes people say he’s the best finals player ever. Nobody cares about the rest.

No you just proved my point. GAJ body of work wasn’t good enough and nobody will remember him as a great finals player. The end.

Billiards.
Someone who is arguing career, as opposed to "best 3 year period" I imagine. Or else why would Bartel's 2011-2016 finals matter compared to Ablett when most of his strongest ones were still 2007-2010?

Someone who is arguing career, as opposed to "best 3 year period" I imagine. Or else why would Bartel's 2011-2016 finals matter compared to Ablett when most of his strongest ones were still 2007-2010?

I can’t read their minds but whatever it is, it was enough for them not to make GAJ a top 20 finals player from 1966-2016.

The gap between Dusty and GAJ will keep increasing over time too. Sam Walsh is one finals MVP/NS away from having a better finals record than GAJ.

Like a said he will not be remembered as a great finals player, the articles prove my point. Cope.

I can’t read their minds but whatever it is, it was enough for them not to make GAJ a top 20 finals player from 1966-2016.

The gap between Dusty and GAJ will keep increasing over time too. Sam Walsh is one finals MVP/NS away from having a better finals record than GAJ.

Like a said he will not be remembered as a great finals player, the articles prove my point. Cope.
You wouldn't be so desperate to convince others if you were secure in your position and Martin's standing.

When it's angry, repetitive and involving emotional language - it's quite obvious you are peeved at whichever player that isn't Martin getting their credit.

I'm not going to have these circular arguments about Martin/Ablett any more as neither of us will change our opinions and I am happy with how the public rates them. You are the one lying some days ("everyone says/thinks"), saying "wait till the future" for others when you so desperately have to put Martin on top. You can start doing that by talking to yourself, it's clogging up most of my time in BigFooty.

You wouldn't be so desperate to convince others if you were secure in your position and Martin's standing.

When it's angry, repetitive and involving emotional language - it's quite obvious you are peeved at whichever player that isn't Martin getting their credit.

I'm not going to have these circular arguments about Martin/Ablett any more as neither of us will change our opinions and I am happy with how the public rates them. You are the one lying some days ("everyone says/thinks"), saying "wait till the future" for others when you so desperately have to put Martin on top. You can start doing that by talking to yourself, it's clogging up most of my time in BigFooty.

First time I heard it, it was from you on here. I almost spat my drink out when you said he was the best finals player of the 21st century. It’s ludicrous. Maybe leave the Geelong bubble, it’ll do you good.

You also STILL haven’t answered Hodge v GAJ. So I’ll take that as Hodge is a better finals player (which is factually is). Thanks Mr Meow I agree.

First time I heard it, it was from you on here. I almost spat my drink out when you said he was the best finals player of the 21st century. It’s ludicrous. Maybe leave the Geelong bubble, it’ll do you good.

You also STILL haven’t answered Hodge v GAJ. So I’ll take that as Hodge is a better finals player (which is factually is). Thanks Mr Meow I agree.
Like I said, I can't waste this much time having circular arguments when I've been doing so for this long already. You would go forever without adding anything interesting, just your "ANSWER THIS QUESTION/HYPOTHETICAL OR ELSE I HAVE OWNED YOU!".

I'm happy to leave you in here to babble to yourself in the manner of an insane person.

I'll let you have your euphoric last word, say "okay" and then please move on to somebody else. You are the most boring and stupid person I've encountered on BigFooty.

Looking like a big loss coming up yet again but I will be there cheering for our Tigers.

Going to the bowling alley also.

if we beat Geelong,check the news for a bashing lol.

Seriously ,a nice part of the World.

Great Ocean Rd,not that far way.

In Winter with the green forest and the sea on the other side,magnificent.

prog rock

No wonder everyone wants to play their.

Cmon mighty Tigers,Struggletown FC
I don't want it to get ugly for Richmond next weekend in Geelong.

Yze has been dealt a bad hand, the Tigers a cursed run of luck and it would be an unfair coach killer game.

Hopefully Richmond get some players and pride back before season ends.

I don't want it to get ugly for Richmond next weekend in Geelong.

Yze has been dealt a bad hand, the Tigers a cursed run of luck and it would be an unfair coach killer game.

Hopefully Richmond get some players and pride back before season ends.
We have nothing to lose. You just make sure Dusty doesn’t demolish you again last last year.

Back