Prediction Geelong's fortunes for season 2019

Where will Geelong finish on the ladder in season 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All true but hasn't done it consistently enough in the past,his raw figures make Kersten look like a Brownlow Medalist in his last season with us.
I don't have Rohan as a lock going into this season.
You may as well start getting used to the idea.

As you know, nothing is set in concrete. He may well start for us rds 1-4, whatever, but going on his last few seasons, injury and poor form makes him a wait and see for me.
I would want him to be an upgrade on Murdoch, but it will be interesting to see their respective stats at season's end. I was always a Murdoch appreciator.
As long as he provides more for us than Crameri did would be a good start.

That's a different argument I do expect him as well as Guthrie to play most games and then for everyone at the end of the season to run around scratching their head saying what the f--ck went wrong.

That's a different argument I do expect him as well as Guthrie to play most games and then for everyone at the end of the season to run around scratching their head saying what the f--ck went wrong.
Guthrie's in a league of his own. No desire, no heart and only gives 50% effort.

Rohan has to find a way to take his game to 15 to 20 possessions regularly,single figures,10s and 11s is playing one short in the areas of the ground he works.
No he doesn't. Far too much emphasis is placed on possession number these days due to dreamteam and supercoach. Rohan just needs to compete, apply physical pressure and provide and option up forward.

If every player on the ground picked up 20 disposals a game we'd be overusing the ball. It's more about efficiency.

No he doesn't. Far too much emphasis is placed on possession number these days due to dreamteam and supercoach. Rohan just needs to compete, apply physical pressure and provide and option up forward.

If every player on the ground picked up 20 disposals a game we'd be overusing the ball. It's more about efficiency.
True. With Rohan you'd be looking at tackles and bounces.
You know if he has 10 bounces in a game something good is happening.
I gotta say jury is out for me too. You'd think he's the type of player we need but just dunno how he'll go.

I gotta say jury is out for me too. You'd think he's the type of player we need but just dunno how he'll go.
I understand the scepticism relating to injuries but if he stays on the park he'll be the recruit of the year. He has are the tools we need. Very talented footballer.

Spot on... Rohan will be used as a defensive small forward and a ball carrying half back. What a luxury it will be to have another utility in the team. Not to mention the much needed speed hell inject. Cockarfitt is also on the money....I wont be measuring Rohans value in possessions, Ill be measuring it in metres gained via carry, and defensive pressure acts. Possessions mean squat for role players.

I understand the scepticism relating to injuries but if he stays on the park he'll be the recruit of the year. He has are the tools we need. Very talented footballer.
Hope your right. Big call. He does have the tools though. We've gotta find a way to move the ball quickly somehow, and need someone who can do something special against the tide when teams start hammering us for a whole 1/4.

Lock down backs are the only player who should be excused for coming up with as many single digit disposal games as Rohan and not be questioned.17 of his last 27 games(two seasons) have been single digit disposals,seven games 10 or 11 one 12 and two at 16.
Parsons has better figures than that.

Guthrie's in a league of his own. No desire, no heart and only gives 50% effort.
Love the way you can state a % of effort as if you believe that.
His effort in the last game I saw Geelong play was fine.

His effort in the elimination final was embarrassing. He made no effort to chase on multiple occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His effort in the elimination final was embarrassing. He made no effort to chase on multiple occasions.
Fair enough, but that's not how he plays every week is it?
That said, he has not come on like I expected him to from 2 seasons ago.

Fair enough, but that's not how he plays every week is it?
That said, he has not come on like I expected him to from 2 seasons ago.
The last couple of years that's exactly the way he's played. He's become too comfortable with his place in the team because he knows he won't get dropped.

I'm not sure what's happened to him but he appears to be trying to avoid contact.

Yeah I thought it was poor. The half tackles also pissed me off, and when it gets too hard just hand the ball straight off to the bloke next to him under pressure.
I'm sure people think he's getting picked on unfairly, but he's not. He does it nearly every week.

Its funny isn it...people are sceptical on Rohan, but champion the likes of Guthrie and Parsons. Unbelievable really... by not surprising!
Champion is hardly the correct word.
But Parsons' stats last year exceeded Rohan's and they played similar roles.
Parsons comes as a rookie, and is still learning.
Rohan is an established senior player who was highly disappointing in his last 2 seasons.
Maybe Guthrie is heading down that pathway- make or break year maybe, but he has an extended contract iirc. I was just referring to his % effort- maybe that is all he is capable of, and he may truly be an average player

When you see it happen in front of your very eyes, when a couple of knowledgeable, fair minded lads like myself and Cockarfitt, can sit at a game and predict what a bloke will and wont do, based on his previous efforts, its very easy to believe. You need take your rose colored glasses off every now and then , and scrutinise individuals a little more. To me, youre a garden variety "barracker" You dont post discussion points or post for discourse.... youre here solely for the likes. Thats not intended to be an insult, youre just someone I would want to watch a game of footy with. Im sure youd feel the same about me...but Im a little more analytical and reasonable about the club. Guthrie is a lazy, cruising, leave it others, passenger....THAT is undeniable

Last edited:
The last couple of years that's exactly the way he's played. He's become too comfortable with his place in the team because he knows he won't get dropped.

I'm not sure what's happened to him but he appears to be trying to avoid contact.
I get the feeling he doesn't know his true role. Is he a mid, a small defender, a tagger?

Champion is hardly the correct word.
But Parsons' stats last year exceeded Rohan's and they played similar roles.
Parsons comes as a rookie, and is still learning.
Rohan is an established senior player who was highly disappointing in his last 2 seasons.
Maybe Guthrie is heading down that pathway- make or break year maybe, but he has an extended contract iirc. I was just referring to his % effort- maybe that is all he is capable of, and he may truly be an average player
Said it a few times. I don't mind Parsons. Can do important things at important times and that's what we probably want Rohan for.
And yeah your right, off the rookie list and young.
It is effort or balls with Guthrie IMO. Starts taking tiny little steps when he gets close to contact. Runs around the outside a lot even if not playing an outside role.
He's done it for ages.
There's still room for soft players I reckon but they've gotta be really quick and damaging when they get there turn with the ball.

He simply doesnt get the ball enough to be a game changer for us.
He doesnt get the ball, cause he doesnt want the ball mate.... hes lazy and has a poor work ethic. Happy to coast along while others do the hard yards! Why wouldnt he... he gets a game regardless!!! The club has demonstrated for years, that hes "undroppable" so why wouldnt he be comfortable playing at the level hes playing at. He thinks hes going ok! Not only that, he has never adapted to the speed of AFL football. He has poor foot skills, he has zero peripheral vision, or foot speed, which causes him to get caught holding the ball all the time, and he cant stick a tackle to save himself. Combine that with the poor work ethic I spoke about, and you have a bloke who should be running around in the VFL at best.

Said it a few times. I don't mind Parsons. Can do important things at important times and that's what we probably want Rohan for.
And yeah your right, off the rookie list and young.
It is effort or balls with Guthrie IMO. Starts taking tiny little steps when he gets close to contact. Runs around the outside a lot even if not playing an outside role.
He's done it for ages.
There's still room for soft players I reckon but they've gotta be really quick and damaging when they get there turn with the ball.
True in part... but what those blokes lack in "hardness" they need to make up for in skills. Guthrie doesnt

Back