No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've had injuries, yes. But to their 20-22 selected, not their 1-5. Amazing luck, but no real adversity over a prolonged period. This year their first test with Martin missing a few, Edwards etc. I'd rate a flag this yr from them higher than other ones
Lost Rance for a season.

It should not be uncontroversial to acknowledge that if Richmond win this year they are one of the best sides of the modern era and Hardwick one of the great coaches. You can argue at the margins as to superiority but I do think our premiership teams had superior talent so 3 flags with this group would put Hardwick right there in the conversation.

As long as Geelong don’t win the flag, I don’t care. And for posters here saying Richmond have had barely any injuries- what about Geelong? Kissed on the dick on that front. I can’t think of one this year that’s had an impact other than Tom Stewart.

man. I’m just ready for them to be irrelevant again. good to see the Tigers knew how to play Hawkins last night. If he can’t shove his opponent in the back out of the contest he’s very limited.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard a Hawthorn fan say the Cliff is coming soon for Geelong, reckon I'd have my mortgage paid off by now.

Since 2007 Geelong have finished have finished top 4 11 out of 14 times and only missed the 8 once, fantastic club.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard a Hawthorn fan say the Cliff is coming soon for Geelong, reckon I'd have my mortgage paid off by now.

Since 2007 Geelong have finished have finished top 4 11 out of 14 times and only missed the 8 once, fantastic club.
F7777A37-8F03-4C98-9256-79EC654C8743.gif

Last edited:
Brisbane are looking at a once in a life time opportunity to win a grand final in their home state. They are in good form and only Andrews a doubt for the start of the finals. Don’t count them out. I have them as favourite.
I think their first final is key. Win that and they could really ride a wave of momentum all the way through .
Its a huge advantage for them , wouldnt be lost on Fagan either

If richmond win there’s four clubs who won 3 in 4 grand finals in 4-5 years in 30 years. Ok richmond maybe just 3 GF but that’s 15 of the 30 years with a monster club on the last day of the season

hardly the ‘accidents of history’ as argued in a mega thread a couple of years back

This is kind of null and void if they manage to win this years flag playing outside of Melbourne after Round 5.
In a way. They haven't been shuffled around the country from hub-to-hub like we have though. The AFL takes good care of Richmond.

I hope Brisbane win it, the fact they haven't beaten Richmond in a decade worries me though, lost to them easily at home in the QF last season and belted by them at Metricon a few weeks ago.
Brisbane kicked poorly for goal in both of those games. A fit Andrews and kicking straight for goal are the keys to them winning this years Clayton’s flag.

I'm not so sure he does have more talent than everyone else, look at the side they sent out tonight for eg, lots of average footballers if you judge them as individuals.

so you don’t think Grimes, Lynch, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance and Edwards are/were quality players

you also forget that Richmond were coming off a bye and geelong had some quality missing

I’m not sure what it is with you but you always seemed determined to talk up other sides to the detriment of the club you support

so you don’t think Grimes, Lynch, Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance and Edwards are/were quality players

you also forget that Richmond were coming off a bye and geelong had some quality missing

I’m not sure what it is with you but you always seemed determined to talk up other sides to the detriment of the club you support

No better than the other top sides top 6 or so players in the last few years and not as good as Hawthorn's top 6 or 7 2012-2015, Geelong's top 7 2007-2011 or Brisbane's top 7 2001-2004.

But yes I do think they are/were quality players.

Winter is coming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winter is coming
Given the finals are being played in Queensland, clubs should be worried about summer coming. October is part of the hot and humid season that runs 6 months of the year. Temperature at 3pm jumps up by 1.5 degrees from September to October. Humidity and rainfall also rise. I think this plays in Brisbane’s favour.

No better than the other top sides top 6 or so players in the last few years and not as good as Hawthorn's top 6 or 7 2012-2015, Geelong's top 7 2007-2011 or Brisbane's top 7 2001-2004.

But yes I do think they are/were quality players.

what’s your criteria in rating a player

as an exercise I wouldn’t mind seeing you rate for example the hawks and tigers top 6 and why you’ve given them the rating

Given the finals are being played in Queensland, clubs should be worried about summer coming. October is part of the hot and humid season that runs 6 months of the year. Temperature at 3pm jumps up by 1.5 degrees from September to October. Humidity and rainfall also rise. I think this plays in Brisbane’s favour.
Would've thought wet conditions with intense humidity would favor Richmond's territory gameplan, and hinder Geelong's keepings-off style.

Then again Brisbane have the most experience playing in those conditions on their home deck, though I think that advantage gets mitigated by other teams being hubbed up there. Ordinarily Queensland humidity can feel suffocating coming from Victoria when you haven't had time to adjust.

Their drafting and trading is the best in the business.

Don't see Richmond losing it this year unless they get a few more injuries and the Eagles have a clean billing of health and NicNat, Kelly, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, etc all dominate in the midfield. Cats' bottom five are average and Lions don;t have enough mature A graders.

I thought they'd decline this season - the writing is on the wall for Selwood and Ablett, but I'm generally impressed at how they've improved this season. They also have two first round draft picks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back